big tom Evergreen

D

DougW

Folks-

Thought I'd pass along this story even though it was gruesome. 10pm last sunday night coming down 285 there was an accident scene just east of Evergreen....a big tom dying on one lane, head still up. Sheriff had already been called, and he died within a couple of min. after I got out. Conservatively 125 lbs with a big tail and 5" wide paws. Huge tail.
The sheriff told me CPW would pick it up; i hope they did. I'm kicking myself for not giving him a card to call me if no one was going to have it mounted. Apparently the vehicle who initially hit it just kept going. Idiot.

I duplicated this in the lion forum so more folks would see it.

That sucks I really like the big cats, sad to hear that one got wacked by a car. To bad you could not of gotten it to have it mounted.

John 3:16
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

285 doesn't run thru Evergreen? Did you mean Conifer? Seems like ore and more cats inthe 285 coridor. Last October I saw 4 at once 3 nearly full grown juvenilles and mom. Earlier this summer there was a young male in a tree off 285 at near 470 the next day. I saw a 120 female hit by a car on 285 near Conifer. My buddy saw one the next AM running across 285. That's 3 cats seen in 10 miles in 48 hours. I'd say that's a lot of cats.

FYI-DOW won't let you keep the hide you can purchase the hides at auction from them. You can salvage the meat.

Sandbrew

Wouldn't have mattered anyway. If its not lion season the Dow keeps hide and takes it to be auctioned. I know a guy who tried. However a lion was hit by a car in sw corner of state a few years back. Dow took it to a local taxidermist to skin it. With intentions to have it taken to auction. The taxidermist offered to use a tag he already had and keep it. They did allow him to have it. The cat was sealed and it went towards hunting quota in the unit he was killed in. They only allowed because season was on, and he already had a tag. So you can stop kicking yourself, it wouldn't have done you any good.

Gotcha.....where did the meat go? Hopefully not to waste.

I've got some friends on the state patrol.....though it's never actually happened yet, my impression is that they do have some say in antlers if a guy is clearly going to process the meat. I'm assuming they know something about the law. Also understandable if they'd prefer not to talk about that with just anyone.....but they probably have some higher priority items going on anyways on a typical night on the Front Range.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom