Bighorn hunt on eBay

InterpolNY,

All I said was eBay would be a "last resort" and with 2 deals that have fallen through and 5 weeks to go until the hunt starts. I'd call that a last resort.

Sandbrew

InterpolNY.

Lucky for you that the first two deals fell through or you would still be an A$$.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Thats not a bad price for a BC California hunt. If I were you Sandbrew I would go in a heartbeat and not worry about the whole Grand Slam title. An opportunity to hunt sheep is what a lot of men would give their left nuts for. Good luck.

Maybe DonV will go for it.. he is ansty to hunt a Dall and at this price for a Cali aint bad and counts for his Bighorn...

No way in he11 would I be passing up a sheep hunt that I won, regardless of how many of that species I've taken. The Grand Slam title is great achievement but it should b about the experience of sheep hunting, not the # GSCO will give you. Good luck to you either way.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

It's not really a free hunt when you figure in taxes on winning a $20K hunt, license fees, tip and travel costs etc. It will end up costing me out of pocket about what a dall hunt will cost me. So in order to keep the peace at home with my wife and not have my 2 kids eating raman noodles I'm selling the hunt.

I'm not hung up on getting a grand slam. Heck winning this hunt is the only way I'd ever get a second species of sheep. I've said from the first day I heard I won any of the hunts Stone Dall or CA bighorn that I would rather go on a Stone or Dall hunt. The reason....the experience of the mountains in the north.

Sandbrew

You say the winner is responsible for taxes, yet you also say the taxes have been paid by the AZ sheep society. What taxes are left for the hunter to pay? Also, I'll give you $3,000 cash right now for it!!

Let me clairify, The British Columbia provincal GST or Goods and Services taxes are paid by AZDBSS on the the value of the hunt. 3% of the hunt value of $18,500 is $647.5 so the total paid by AZDBSS is $19,147.50

Uncle Sam wants his share of my gambling winnings and the AZ folks will be sending a 1099 tax form with the $19K+ as income to me. I need to pay taxes on that, which will be $5-7K

The hunter will have to pay addtional GST taxes on the license once purchased in BC.

Keep checking the couch for lose change or break the kids piggy banks. I think the hunt will sell for more than your $3000 offer.

Over the last few days I have received notice of cancellation California ram hunts in BC ranging from 9,000 to 12,000. I thought these hunts were in high demand and brought upwards of 25,000. These hunts also averaged 80 % kill and 100% opportunity.

No, these are California hunts in southwestern BC, the Rocky Mountain hunts in southeastern are usually a bit cheaper.

>It's not really a free hunt
>when you figure in taxes
>on winning a $20K hunt,
>license fees, tip and travel
>costs etc. It will end
>up costing me out of
>pocket about what a dall
>hunt will cost me. So
>in order to keep the
>peace at home with my
>wife and not have my
>2 kids eating raman noodles
>I'm selling the hunt.
>
>I'm not hung up on getting
>a grand slam. Heck winning
>this hunt is the only
>way I'd ever get a
>second species of sheep. I've
>said from the first day
>I heard I won any
>of the hunts Stone Dall
>or CA bighorn that I
>would rather go on a
>Stone or Dall hunt. The
>reason....the experience of the mountains
>in the north.
>
>Sandbrew

Sandbrew,
I didn't intend to come down on you and I apologize if I sounded that way. I did not think of the taxes you have to pay on your ?gambling? winnings. Also, I certainly understand having to keep the peace at home as well as put food on the table. I'm sure you've looked into this but is there anyway you can avoid the taxes? Is it possible to gift the ?winnings? or the equivalent $$ amount to your spouse?

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Sandbrew,

I am wondering what Bruce's success rate is on full curls? A full curl Cali is a rare find, indeed. Would hate to shell out that kind of ca$h for what would amount to a 10 day scouting trip, followed by a 4 day ram hunt. I'd be willing to give it a try (need this sheep for my GS), but the $15,000 I'd spend would pale in comparison to the divorce settlement ("Honey, I know you let me go Dall hunting last year, but this hunt is a steal"). I definitely know what it's like to be in the middle of raising kids and keeping my better half happy. Best of luck to you in finding a buyer!

Predator,
FWIW, from the research I've done a Cali hunt in BC fetches anything from $14,000 with a $5,000 trophy fee to upwards of $38,000 depending upon which outfit you book with. The key, of course, is finding an outfitter with a guaranteed 3/4 curl permit. Find that and the success rate is often very good. The draw back is generally higher prices.

Sandbrew you come across on Ebay and on the RMBS website as wanting a different species of sheep for a grand slam type of deal. I was irked because I have been applying for sheep longer than a lot around here have been alive and would kill to hunt any sheep anywhere. Sorry if I came across as rude or crass. Just didn't understand the circumstances. I apologize. And yes a gauranteed 3/4 permit brings upwards of 40K in some outfits and a full curl permit is not very desired.

I'll ask Bruce what his success is on full curls. Good question!

When I talked to him last night he also had a second slot open (for which this hunt can be moved to) that is 3/4 or better for the entire 14 day Sept 24- Oct 7 I can't go that time so that why I have not booked it with Bruce.

Interpol, No hard feelings here's a quote from the other site and the only mention of a (grand) "slam" I see. I would love to have all 4 sheep. I'd be happy with this hunt or ANY sheep hunt for free. I reallity it's not free and I rather not mortgage my kids future for the chance to hang a head on the wall and the experience for me.

The quote....

Posted 17 March 2006 07:48 PM

"Not seem ungrateful......I am considering trading or selling the hunt to finace a Dall or Stone hunt. I'd rather have a shot at my 1/2 slam instead of another bighorn."

Sandbrew

A full curl cali is rare and I doubt Bruce gets many. The problem with a full curl is its probably a young sheep, before its broomed. Unless the sheep is a real hog then it will be furl curl and absolutly huge. A 3/4 curl can be a 3 year old young sheep but can also be a mature 8 year old that is broomed heavy that will never be a full curl regardless of how old it gets.

BHB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom