Bighorn scouting

BigDaddyL

I am either leaving in a couple of hours or in the morning to go scouting for Bighorn in the Rio Grande Gorge. Is there anyone who would like to join me and educate me? It will take me about 5-6 hors to get there from here in southern New Mexico. Look forward to hearing back from all of you. Take care.

Hope you found some sheep, last rumor I heard from a very credible source was that a few rams in that area had developed some type of cough and as many as 5 rams were going to be shot by NMDGF. I hope its just a rumor but if I had that hunt I would call the game and fish biologist to find out more.

Thanks for the info. I have seen some young ones and a couple ewes. Nothing that I would say is mature and right to harvest.

We also did some scouting for deserts on the Armendaris. Took Philthy and bigbull48 with me. I'm still learning how to judge these things, but based on what I've learned so far, I think we saw one, maybe even two, that would go in the upper 160s. Awesome place--we saw about 40 sheep along several bucks and Oryx. Can't wait for August.

Found a group of about 15 yesterday that had probably 4-5 mature rams and of those 4-5 I would say 1-2 were really big. I am no expert, but when they are full curl, their tips are broomed off, and they make me say "wow", I call them big. Lol

Forum member "nmbighorn" is being kind enough to meet up with me this morning and help this newbie out. So cool how we can come together as a hunting community.

>Hope you found some sheep, last
>rumor I heard from a
>very credible source was that
>a few rams in that
>area had developed some type
>of cough and as many
>as 5 rams were going
>to be shot by NMDGF.
>I hope its just a
>rumor but if I had
>that hunt I would call
>the game and fish biologist
>to find out more.

Is this true? Is there more info on this?

What a wonderful experience this would be. I just saw this film and was very impressed by the terrain, the game and the hunters' tenacity.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom