Binoculars

buckhaven

This has probably been covered before, but I am looking at the zen ray line of bino. My concern is I am trying to decide between the 10x ed3 vs the 10x prime hd, wondering if there is a reason to get the prime. Is it worth the extra money for the prime? I have heard good things but have no experience due to the lack of being able to get my hands on any locally. If you have any info regarding the two choices I would appreciate any info good or bad. Thx.

I have the ed2's which I like very much. I will be selling them and getting the primes however. I'm a zen ray dealer though and for the price I haven't found anything better.

If ya can't find the Primes to look through pick up a pair of Leopold McKinley HD's as they are the exact same as the primes. I just got done doing this same research as you and found this to be true. The Zen Rays are nice glass and for the money hard to beat. I found Cameraland to have the best pricing. Although I didn't settle on the Zen Rays it was darn close. I will however be looking at getting my boys each a set of the ED2's for Christmas.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

So deadibob with you being a dealer have you compared the prime hd and ed3 side by side? Is there a noticeable difference? I will pay the extra money for the prime if it is justifiable but don't want to blow money if its not nessecary. I don't want to get the ed3 and then want to upgrade later, would rather do it right now.

I've had the ed2, ed3 and prime.

I actually liked the ed2 a little better than the ed3. I LOVE the primes though, they are really nice. On my alaska cruise I let some folks looks through my binoculars and pretty much everyone that did said "WOW" when they handed them back.

The eyepieces are a bit larger and it takes a tiny bit of getting used to, but they are way worth it IMO.

3 thousand bucks MSRP for a pair of binos? Think I'll hang onto my 20 year old Swarovski WB 8x30's.

How did you like the way they are aesthetically, prime vs ed3? The primes look more compact, at least height ways. I guess is what I'm asking is how do they compare by feel or is it even something to worry about?

Those binos run in the $600 range.

Not sure where you guys are seeing 3K! That allbinos.com site is overseas, so they may be using Euros or whatever for the listed price.

Cameraland has them for $619

LAST EDITED ON Sep-08-13 AT 08:35AM (MST)[p]The Prime and Leupold Mckinley HD are the same binocular.
Both have field flattener lenses so the FOV will be mostly sharp and in focus all the way to the edges. Both have large FOV's for their power. Problem is with their large occular lenses and eye cups. I was able to use the Prime but not the Leupold, I could not get proper eye relief/good picture with the Mckinley.

The ED3 has a wide FOV too but the edges will be fuzzy as it does not have the field flattener lenses, not a problem as most binoculars are like this. The ED3 has smaller eye cups and will fit better with most peoples faces.

The Vortex Talon HD is another option and is basically a Zen ED2 in different armor.

I would go with the Talon or ED3 or Prime but I would look through a Prime first to make sure you can get along with its eye cups, if so its the best choice optically of the three.

So is that the main diff in the two in a visual sense, the ed3 does not stay as clear as far to the edge as the prime? I assume that in the center they are equal. In your guys opinion does that make a big diff in a hunting situation? Does the prime perform better in low light than the ed3? I find myself wanting the prime but am trying to do the wise thing cause I usually get in trouble when I get what I want if you know what I mean, but am willing. Thanks for the info from you with experience in this matter it helps a lot.

The optics are better on the prime, brightness and contrast and sharpness all slightly better. The flat and sharp edges can make a difference when the binocular is stationary as most everything in view is sharp. They do have some rolling ball effect when panning though.

Another question I have for anyone with experience is what are your thoughts on 8x vs 10x? I have heard of some of the diff benefits for each but was looking for people who have used or compared the two. I have always used 10x but am strongly considering 8x.

I have both, 8x a pair of ed2 and 10x el's. I hunt open western type country which I prefer to use the 10x's on. I occasionally have made trips to wooded terrain such as every 3rd year to Iowa and to Pennsylvania several times, I prefer 8x's in the heavy timber and short sight lines there. I use my 10 x 42's a lot more because I tend to hunt big vista's Wy, Co. Ne. and just feel I have a better chance of spotting an bedded animal with more magnification. You have a wider FOV with 8x's but less magnification.

Tailchasers thx for the tip I went and checked out the Mckinley's and liked them a lot. They really are the same on specs and all,I can get the Mckinley's cheaper. Does anyone own this glass and have personal experience on how they like them? Is there any diff between the primes and the Mckinleys quality? Those Mckinley's seem very well built and tough, I have not held a prime.

Thx for all the thoughts and info from everyone. I decided to go with the bx-4 McKinley hd in 10x, I looked at this glass and really liked it, I had no issues with the large oculars. I really wanted the prime but after extensive research found out this is basically the same glass, as some had stated, minus the armor and a couple subtle diff. I just did not feel comfortable spending that kind of money on some glass that I could not even look through until it arrived at my door, I think this has got to hurt zen ray. The leupold McKinley was also on sale for 111.00 dollars cheaper, that helps with decisions. I am excited to try them out this hunting season and finally have some good glass. Good luck to everyone this season and thx again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom