Biologist Questions ??

southslope82

I am not wanting to miss any information that I could gather, from talking with a biologist, about an area that I am going to be hunting mule deer.
So what are some of the questions you have asked biologists in the past? Or would ask?

I thought I could learn some helpful things before I get in contact with one.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]I don't know about where you live, but in Ca......I wouldn't waste my time. They seldom leave the office.

They might put you on to some good coffee and donut shops.

From a biologist you can probably get basic information on the herd, like population size/trend, buck to doe ratios, hunter success rates, recent winter kill, etc. You might also get some information on migration trends and seasonal movements, and basic information on the topography and access in the unit.

If you want information on specific areas to hunt and trophy quality/potential I think you would be much better off talking with hunters that know the unit and have hunted there in the past. Many biologists that I know are not avid hunters, and even the ones that are usually manage hunts and units that they don't have the opportunity to hunt regularly (especially the draw hunts).

Good luck getting the information that you need.

Dax

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom