Bipartisan sportsmens act

Hard to tell with them, as they both are not real concerned with Sportsmen's issues. They both voted against the LWCF...

>Hard to tell with them, as
>they both are not real
>concerned with Sportsmen's issues. They
>both voted against the LWCF...
>

I have written a number of letters on various sportsman issues and have drawn the same conclusion from the responses. Wyoming state legislators and our congressional delegation simply do not take us seriously. Until we put aside our differences and focus on key issues we will remain innefective.

The politicians take the sportsmans vote for granted in Wyoming probably because most of us are pretty conservative. We need to let them know there is a cost for ignoring or being hostile to us.

Wonder if this part will conflict with the restrictions placed on non-residents and hunting wilderness lands:

Making Public Lands Public, requiring that 1.5 percent of annual Land and Water Conservation Fund monies be made available to secure public access to existing federal lands that have restricted access to hunting, fishing and other recreational activities.

>Wonder if this part will conflict
>with the restrictions placed on
>non-residents and hunting wilderness lands:
>
>
>Making Public Lands Public, requiring that
>1.5 percent of annual Land
>and Water Conservation Fund monies
>be made available to secure
>public access to existing federal
>lands that have restricted access
>to hunting, fishing and other
>recreational activities.
>

Kind of a side issue but I wonder if this could be addressed through USFS action. A equal opportunity issue or perhaps prohibiting outfitters from operating in wilderness areas until the Wyoming act is repealed. Outfitters have more pull than us average hunters. I cant fathom why this law has stood this long

Anyway doesnt affect how much this law may mean to hunters if access is improved. Here in northern Wyoming are numerous large landlocked parcels of BLM and state lands that were result of land sales in the 60's which were meant to take the public off public lands. Noone seems to care about this. Hard to understand why we are so complacent.

The wilderness guide law has nothing to do with access, technically.

Every NR is still entitled to enter, camp, fish, hunt game birds, even predators, but they just cant hunt big or trophy game in them.

The USFS will likely not take action since its a state law pertaining to big and trophy game.

I think what the SA is getting at is to improve access to landlocked pieces, gaining legal easements, etc. as most wilderness areas have numerous access points.

I believe that the reason we are so complacent is a couple/few fold:

1. Most people are not willing to risk anything or put themselves out there to really stand up for wildlife and hunting. They just don't have the stomach, balls, fortitude, whatever you want to call it, to really get aggressive about management, access, etc. They wont challenge the legislature, GF Agencies, Commission, etc. who are supposed to be working for those that put them in office.

2. Most people are pretty darn content with the massive amount of opportunity that we already have. They don't recognize how much better it could be, and frankly, aren't going to put the effort in to making things even better.

3. General apathy, they just don't want to be bothered with anything more than buying a license once a year. They have every excuse under the sun why they cant attend meetings, cant write letters, make phone calls, etc. etc. etc.

These items make it very easy for those that show up to get their way, largely unopposed.

Show up and be heard, or you get flattened...just the way it works. Most people prefer to be road-pizza.

Absolutely right Buzz, apathy, laziness or whatever, but why is what I dont understand.. We elect these guys then act like we are afraid of them. We allow a few private landowners to have exclusive access to huge acreages of land owned by the public, and seldom ask why. We complain about overgrazing, but support unlimited grazing on public lands. They can even propose removing bighorn sheep to make room for a few domestic sheep herders and we meekly act like sheep. We all recognize the need to develop energy on our lands but not the responsibility of those profiting from that development to limit damage to those lands we own. We insist on more and more motorized access to public lands even though it impacts the very resources we are wanting to motor to. We dont appear to recognize that future generations, even our own kids might enjoy those resources as much as we do.

An outside observer might rightly conclude that we are out of our minds. Maybe we dont deserve what we have.

We might be surprised how much power we actually have if we only bothered to get involved.

I think for a lot of guys it is not laziness, lack of balls, fear, etc . . . but time. Providing for a family takes lots and lots of time .. . Those who have a lot of time to focus on these issues, thanks for keeping use lazy bastages informed!

Funny that people complain of having no time...the time it took you to write that reply, you could have been contacting the legislature.

Truth is, none of us have the time, I don't have the time either, but I find time because it matters to me.

>I think for a lot of
>guys it is not laziness,
>lack of balls, fear, etc
>. . . but time.
> Providing for a family
>takes lots and lots of
>time .. . Those
>who have a lot of
>time to focus on these
>issues, thanks for keeping use
>lazy bastages informed!

We werent calling any names. We all have times when we are very busy with life. We manage to find a little time to get out and hunt and spend more time getting ready to hunt. We probably spend time watching tv or surfing sites like this one. What Buzz is saying is it doesnt take much time to contact legislators and game and fish commissioners. Its just as important as sighting in a rifle or practicing with a bow. Probably more so.

I think that Buzz H is right with regard to the reasons why many people don't get involved in providing input on these issues. I do think there are other reasons why people don't get involved and decide to "sit it out".

I have attended many government agency meetings over the years. That would include USFS, DOL, DEQ, G&F, EPA, USFWS and other town hall type meetings. I have also attended City Council, County Commission and a few Congressional hearings. I have been counsel to a few municipal corporations where town hall meetings have gotten completely out of hand to the point of almost becoming a riot.

The reasons why many folks "sit it out"is very simple. Often, there is a perception that the government agency has already made its collective mind up before seeking "input". Sometimes this is all that can happen with forced mandates but often it is the result of a few public servants living in a vacuum where they hear only their own voices. Also as part of that, many people are just not comfortable raising their voices, yelling or feel less than knowledgeable in discussing the issues. They remind me of cattle walking up a slaughter chute. Remember, these people are elected politicians or public employees and they must be reminded that they serve you. If you don't like what a politician is doing, they can be recalled. Most recalls are not successful, but they always remind a politician who is ultimately in charge. Do the same thing with public employees.

Although writing letters and sending emails can be effective. I think attending meetings and voicing your opinion in public is more important. Get yourself on the agenda to voice your opinion. This will force you to speak up. You need to assert yourself and express your feelings no matter how uncomfortable it makes you feel. You don't have to be obnoxious to do this. Personal attacks and threats can get out of hand, but keep what you want to say in mind. Brevity with precise arguments is always better than pontificating. If you feel the decision has already been made, call the public employee or politician on it.

just sayin...mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom