Bishop's Cap Near Las Cruces

muleybeast

Been scouting for my January bowhunt in the Organs. Messed around Bishop's Cap this weekend with my kids, but couldnt find much sign(kids are little so couldn't hike too much). Anybody have any knowledge of this area, and if so, are there any descent deer numbers here. The area looks good, but the water holes were dry ? Any help would be nice. Gary

When I was in school a few years ago, most of the deer were in the flats between baylor canyon road and the edge of town. There are some little knolls where you can glass from, and A mountain is a good place to look from. They will be rutting pretty good so where the does go the bucks follow. There are some water tanks, closer to the subdivisions off of HWY 70 just a little north and east of Onate HS, that usually have quite a few does that hit them, might be a good place to start. Those deer seem to move quite a bit so they my not bee there right now but they might show up in Jan. Look in the deeper arroyos and in the acacia patches, they seem to like bedding in them. I have seen some really good desert deer in that country 150-170ish. Good luck!

I've seen deer a bunch of times right after you go over Organ Pass on the south side of the road. I have put in for the hunt before and my plan was always to park at the little parking area/lookout area on the east side of the pass and walk south from there. I'd bet people from the houses feed the deer and they hang around that area on the other side of the mountains.

That's great information. I am just trying to locate the largest concentration of deer in the unit. I like you plan, and may steal your plan of attack. Gonna scout it hard, and check my maps for public land. Thank you very much. Gary

I really appreciate your post. I rarely get anyone with any info on this unit. I used to quail hunt right near these areas, and would sometimes kick up little bucks, and a few does. I am going to get my trail cams up on those two water holes you mentioned, I'm just worried about there being a lot of casual recreation in the area, and them moving the deer around. Any other info you have would be appreciated. I have extensive knowledge of units 17, 21, and 25, so if I can ever help???Gary

back when i was in school (92-96) i would see deer on the east and south sides of A-mountain...decent bucks too...that was a long time ago and not sure what the area is like now...one of my profs, Dr. Schemnitz, would routinely see deer in the Dona Anas north of 70 but im not sure if that is in your unit or in 18...i don't have a map handy...good luck!!!

Thats great info, I used to ride my mountain bike on the edge of A mountain, never saw any deer on it though...I will def be setting up the spotting scope and checking out those flats. Thanks for the great info. And yes the Dona Anas are in 18. But I have lots of land to cover in 19. So it oughta be fun. Gary

A-Hill...there are a bunch of deer over there...and it's a good area for some stud deer. They are a little tougher to find out and about and use the washes well, but i've seen lot's of deer and some stud deer dove/quail and yote huntin. It's a good area to try and if you find a water source...they will be within a mile of it. if it was my tag...I'd be hunting the area between A-hill and the Organs...outside of all the houses of course...just my 2 cents.

On the 70 side...same as A-hill. Find the deeper washes and a water source and you will find deer. I have several desert muley sheds from that area that are impressive.

At the top of St. Augustine pass...i've been seeing some deer in here recently. Saw approximately 10 deer and 4 bucks there about 2 weeks ago. I don't know how much public access there is...but if you have the maps and desire, this would be a good area to try.
P.S. though...lions are heavy in that area...so I don't know how big that herd is or how spooky.

Good luck to you and if you knock one down, post pics!

Speaking of A Mountain, I work at the NMSU golf course and we have a herd of 5 deer that came down this summer while it was still dry and would hang out at the golf course. They disappeared once the rain came, but they're back again. We saw them about a week ago drinking from one of the ponds.

Although you cant hunt the golf course, their behavior shows that they're starting to stick around the water sources...even if there is a lot of human traffic around. And trust me, the golf course is always packed and we have TONS of coyotes. The deer dont seem to mind. Some of them can even be hand fed. The people feed them because they "feel bad" for the coyotes...they dont understand that they have it made on the golf course. ALL the rabbits they could ever eat and no one shoots at them.

That's great info...I can't hardly believe there are that many deer that close to A mountain...I am going to be checking that are heavily. I hope I can pattern a few big bucks. Thank you for the great info I might look up that herd on San andres as well.

Do you think those deer will be camping out near the water on the golf course? When that rut hits I bet a big old buck will know right where they are at!

I'll definitely let you know if in the next few weeks if I start seeing a buck hanging out with the does. Over the summer, the herd of deer used to bed down about 200 yards west of the big water tanks by the golf course....so its still off limits territory. In the morning though they'd come from the area by A Mountain.

Hell, if you need help on your hunt, let me know. I'm a student at NMSU, so I dont have school til January 15th and I'll be bored on the days that I dont work and I'd like to tag along on the hunt to see what kinda bucks the unit holds.

And no problem for the info!

I'll definitely let you know if in the next few weeks if I start seeing a buck hanging out with the does. Over the summer, the herd of deer used to bed down about 200 yards west of the big water tanks by the golf course....so its still off limits territory. In the morning though they'd come from the area by A Mountain.

Hell, if you need help on your hunt, let me know. I'm a student at NMSU, so I dont have school til January 15th and I'll be bored on the days that I dont work and I'd like to tag along on the hunt to see what kinda bucks the unit holds.

And no problem for the info!

Hey that sounds like a lot of fun. I got my bachelor's and Master's from NMSU, and I used to live right by the dam there at the NMSU golf course, I would actually shoot my bow, and ride my mountain bike Just East of that dam. It would be fun to meet a fellow Aggie, and hunter. I'll keep you posted and maybe hit you up if you wanna go scout one day. I live in La Union right by La Vina, so I plan on scouting a bunch. Gonna put my trail cams out this weekend. So I can see what's out there. Gary

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom