Blacktail or Muley ??

tchoate3

I decided to post a pic of my 2010 "Cascade Blacktail" according to Oregon Record book. I have a hard time calling it a Blacktail. Just wanted some opinions on if i should have it enterd in the book if it makes it. I did take it on the west side of the Pacific Creast trail in the Mt Jefferson Wilderness on the High Cascade hunt.
2836terry_hunting_022.jpg

I would think that B&C would be interested in your delima. Sure looks Muley tail to me. Any idea what the weight was?

I dont know what it weighed. It was an backpack hunt so I boned it out. I sent the tooth in to ODFW and it was a three and a half year old buck. I call it my Benchleg Buck, Blacktail-Mule cross.I think he will score 130+. Im sure many bucks that are classified Cascade Blacktail in the Oregon record book are hybreds too.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-12 AT 08:59AM (MST)[p]I hunted close to where that buck was killed last year.
It is just over the B&C blacktail boundary on the wrong side of I-5, it is some of the best big blacktail country to be found anywhere.
I stared at deer through my binoculars and closely examined my buddy's dead buck and saw absolutely no mule deer characteristics.
Not much white on the rump like a muley, short ears, and a solid black tail.
Nature doesn't know to follow the record book's imaginary boundary sometimes.
Unfortunately they have to draw the line somewhere.
Great buck BTW.

Upon closer look your buck looks to have more white on it's tail and bigger ears than those I saw.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-12 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/2664my_2_best_bucks.jpg

83452_bucks.jpg

I lived just in the boarder of Calif?s C zone for most of my life and I've taken lots of cross bucks, most of the time the racks shows the muley characteristics looks to me the tail end got the characteristics of a muley on the buck you got there?

yah that was a friend who wanted to take home a pic to say he got 'em...how could i say no...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-12 AT 08:04AM (MST)[p]Unusual to see a buck with a tail like that on the West side...could be a "benchleg" hybrid, but it sure looks all muley! Congrats on a great buck, anyhow!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

Where I killed him it's accually not than uncommon. I was only about 1/2 mile west of the Pacific Creast Trail, alot of the deer that summer in that area migrate over the divide to the east.It does have characteristics of both, but more Muley than Blacktail.Thats why I am struggling to have it entered in the book, even though it was in the boundry. I have shot many full blood Blacktails, and have some that are very close to the book. I feel like I'm cheating with this buck if I have it entered "if' it scores high enough. Here's a pic of it now that its on the wall.
1271buck_heads_002.jpg

VERY nice buck, in anyones book...
The tail tells all, a white rope tail with a black tip is a muley, a tail that is dark on the outside and white under is usually a blacktail. The only time it matters is when you go to score a record book buck.
The rule of thumb is west of I5 is a blacktail and east of I5 is muley cross. The only pure muleys in CA are in the east high sierra, and along the Nevada border or the eastern corner of the state.
Stop Global Whining

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom