blacktail rack on ebay

NO WAY!!! Not an California Blacktail buck(may be Oregon),Hybreed? Cross or muley.
RACKMASTER

I gotta agree, no way, mulie or cross bread, he doesnt say where the rack came from either.

It is a pretty odd looking rack. I wish he would have taken pictures with a normal size person holding it. If it's a blacktail, he definately needs to prove it.

Hate to say boys but a kid from Oregon killed a 180 buck (blacky) read the story, I have the pic but too stupid to know how to post a pic...as far as the Ebay buck goes, there is no way to tell the difference from a muley and a blacktail by their rack identical. .DNA is the only way...so people can say what they want...

Teen gains blacktail fame

Oregon high-school student skips class and lands in the record books

By Mark Freeman
Medford Mail Tribune ? Oct. 14, 2002

ASHLAND, Ore. ? Raindrops chiming on the roof of Ashland High School's mechanics classroom Oct. 2 signaled to senior Bill Jarrell that books needed to give way to blacktails that day.

Bill Jarrell downed the 180 6/8-point blacktail buck after ditching school.

"I was sitting in school and I couldn't handle it," said Jarrell, 18, of Ashland. "I wanted to go buck hunting."

So Jarrell stayed in the mechanics class long enough to get his car running again, then sped away from school and right into blacktail hunting lore.

Jarrell borrowed his father's rifle and drove to a family friend's rural ranch known to be home to some large blacktail bucks.

Then, just minutes into a hike down a deer trail, Jarrell startled a five-point blacktail deer with antlers the size of a chandelier.

"I pulled up the scope and he just staggered back, and just looked at me like he knew he was dead," Jarrell said. "He let me shoot him."

But the five-point buck will live on in the rifle-hunting record books as sporting one of the most impressive sets of antlers ever seen on a blacktail deer.

Preliminary measurements of the buck's antlers total 180-6/8 points, rendering it one of the top handful of blacktail racks recorded by The Boone and Crockett Club and the largest ever in deer-rich southern Oregon.

If it does not lose much mass during the required 60-day drying period, the antlers could rank among the top three sets of symmetrical blacktail deer antlers in the world.

? I never thought I'd get a chance to shoot anything that big. I've had a hard time believing that a buck that big even existed. ?
? Bill Jarrell

"This is probably the biggest blacktail to ever come out of Jackson County," said Dennis King, a Jacksonville taxidermist and official Boone & Crockett measurer who scored Jarrell's buck. "It's absolutely monstrous."

It's just as mind-boggling to Jarrell, who still struggles to comprehend how he parlayed a day of hooky into the record books.

"I never thought I'd get a chance to shoot anything that big," Jarrell said. "I've had a hard time believing that a buck that big even existed."

If one were to exist anywhere, Jackson County is as likely a place as any.

Buck deer sprout their bone-like antlers when testosterone triggers germinal tissue in their heads to sprout. They continue to grow to different sizes and at different rates depending upon genetics, the age of the animal and the concentrations of such antler-growing minerals as calcium and phosphorus in the animal's feed.

Local blacktails are well known nationwide for their genetics, which often are a mule deer-blacktail cross that are larger than conventional blacktails. Plus, the region's forage is thought to contain high concentrations of the antler-growing minerals.

But none of that mattered to Jarrell on Oct. 2. He simply wanted to be out of class and in the woods.

He took a non-hunting friend, Tyler Johnson, with him to the ranch near Mount Ashland, where the owner had told Jarrell he could stalk the big bucks living there.

A seasoned hunter who two years ago shot a five-point blacktail, Jarrell expected to sneak around the woods in hopes of spying a big buck active in the light, misty rain. "Then I just kind of stumbled into this big buck," he said. The animal, bedded in brush, popped up right in front of Jarrell, and the pair met eyes.

"When you walk right up to them like that, it's like you can sense that they know they're dead," Jarrell said.

He downed the buck with one shot from his dad's .25-06 rifle, and quickly realized what he had done.

Killing a buck with such thick, long antlers spread so far apart seemed so easy, almost too easy. Jarrell didn't feel jubilation. More like unworthiness.

"So many people spend their entire lifetimes searching for a buck like that, and all I do is go walk up and shoot it," Jarrell said. "I don't think I earned the right to kill that animal."

But he did earn the responsibility of taking care of it. So he gutted it out, then jammed it into the rear of his rig. But the rack was so large, Jarrell couldn't close the car's hatchback.

"On the drive through Ashland," he said, "I got some dirty looks and some not-so-dirty looks."

Jarrell eventually took the deer to King, whose preliminary scoring quantifies the enormity of the animal.

"I expect it to score in the top three of all time," he said. Current top three are: 182-2/8 points, shot in Lewis County, Wash., in 1953; 179 points, shot in Coos County, Ore., in 1953; and 178-4/8 points, found on a dead deer in Jackson County here in 1950.

If Jarrell's deer does score in the top three, the Boone & Crockett Club may consider some genetic testing on the deer to determine that it really is a true blacktail and not a mule deer that happened to be in blacktail country, said Chris Tonkinson, Boone & Crockett's assistant to the director of records in Montana.

"We're talking about doing that now with blacktails because it's come up before," Tonkinson said. "But in no way do we want to throw cold water on (Jarrell's) hunt. That had to be an exciting experience for him."

Jarrell said the experience of accomplishing a hunter's lifetime goal before his high school graduation feels somewhat numbing.

"I went out and shot it. Great. Now what do I have to look forward to?" Jarrell said. "I'll just start shooting smaller bucks. Nothing will ever match this, so why try?"

I have seen only 1 "BLACKIE BUCK " that big ever (28 yrs ago with my grandfather and uncle in the HAYFORK AREA)! You never
forget something like that when all dream about as a young boy
is to "Take your 1st buck".
I see alot of very nice bucks every year in the big green zone!
But still say no way a BLACKTAIL 100%. HAVE TO PROVE IT!
I saw a few nice or that will be very bucks this weekend up around Covelo, should be a great year if the fire season don't get outta hand!

RACKMASTER

"Local blacktails are well known nationwide for their genetics, which often are a mule deer-blacktail cross that are larger than conventional blacktails."
Will B&C except this buck as a pure blacktail? You wouldn't think so if the area is known for having cross-bred deer.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom