blue mountain indians

I

ihunt32

just got back from the blue mountains.Seen nice whitetail bucks seen nice muely bucks.Shot some grouse seen 9 monster bulls going nuts.Then i seen one truck idaho plates 4 indians then i seen another truck couple hours later idaho plates 3 indians. they were hunting in the lick creek area for washington monster bulls how is this possible I pulled the regulations out you cant even draw a bull tag in this area for modern firearm.

2000 feet of rope in the back of the trucks. seen them trying to cut some elk off.

The reason there are no tags for "sportsmen hunters" is for that very reason, the natives have taken too many trophy bulls every year for fish and game to issue any tags. This is straight from a blue mountain biologists mouth. I had a archery blues tag and talked extensively with two bios and about how great the spike only is working there for trophy hunting and that I didn't think it would work good on the coast because of native hunting. He said they have plenty of native issues there too and told me about the lick creek area getting no tags for several years due to this. Not the answer you want to hear I know but thought I'd share. And no , subsistence hunting and trophy hunting are not the same and should be dealt with for sure. nwhunter

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-07 AT 11:51PM (MST)[p]Are you sure there weren't pilgrims dressed up as indians?

I am not native american but I'm also not sure I see an issue with them hunting it, if the federal goverment said it was ok for them to do so. If they were there illegaly then that would certainly be another story.

Our family has hunted Robinette mountain for the last 30 years. Miller shingle used to own the land on top for many years. Miller sold the land to Bonneville power, who in turn gave the land to the Umitilla indians for flooding there land years ago. When Miller sold we were really wondering what would happen with the hunting. The Umitilla's said that they were not gonna keep anyone out, but they were gonna gate the road during the late winter and spring to keep people out. They also said they would not be hunting it either. Well guess what happened the next year, We get to camp and find signs posted from the fish and game stating that "no more tribal hunting would be allowed" until further notice. Evidently the tribe went in two weeks before the opener and killed 9 big bulls and a couple of cows. WDFW went in and shut them down. At that time there were only 9 big bull tags availiable for the whole GMU. I just don't understand why a Oregon tribe can come in and hunt our state. It's bad enough with our own tribes hunting it let alone other states.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-07 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]Calm down Julian. Tongue in cheek.
And if I might argue the point since I have a documented ancestor on the Dawes Roll, Creek Indian Tribe. They were probably here before Washington State Indians came along since they are further from the land bridge so I actually should win this argument. Smoke pease pipe or continue argument?

Ransom

46f04e0766fdc695.jpg

yes they have the right to hunt but not in the way that they hunt.they need some better rules.

The Robinette, Rainwater are is a draw area for the Umatilla Indians. Just an FYI. That year the bulls were killed, it wasn't the Umatilla's, rumor spread to Oregon, and then they posted the sign to stop hunting there.

It is a little ironic and somewhat spooky to be a bowhunter out in the woods hunting elk in full camo and know that there are native american hunters out there hunting the same area with high powered rifles. Last year my brother shot a bull out of a herd with his bow and was watching it and trying to get another shot when a truck with natives saw the herd jumped out and shot two bulls right in front of him with rifles. He hid behind a stump for safety and they never new he was there.His bull spooked off and we didn't find it until the next day. While they have the "right " to do this maybe from a safety stand point something should be done. My how things have changed! nwhunter

Are you sure about that. They hunt with rifles on the WA coast starting Aug 1 but never get to serious until bow season starts and they got to get theirs before we do. nwhunter

In this particular unit (lick creek) they tend to drive the roads, spot a bull, get out and set their beer on the hood, shoot the bull, then leave when it appears to be a miss. Even though someone like me or my buddies is watching from 100 yds away and see the bull die about 200yds from the road.
I've witnessed it and so have many others I've talked with.

This is ridiculous! If it is tribal land then the tribe has every right to hunt as it pleases. If it is on public (non-tribal) land then that is a different matter and it needs to be stopped. We owe them (native Americans) that much!

Oh yeah I am part Indian also but I don't expect anything from the Government, it was my ancestors that were mistreated and nothing will right that wrong!

I'd rather be huntin!!!!

Lots of wrecking yards and mobile homes.....It is a sad situation. Just for the record I am 1/8 upper snohomish( you would never know it) and have legal hunting rights I have never and will never use. The wrong being done now will never make the wrong done back then OK..........This is a different world now. Some better, some worse. The laws need to be changed. "We" did not have Dodge Rams and 300 mag's back then. Native Americans, Including myself should be able to hunt anytime and anywhere for food...with a horse and a long bow!

idaho indians hunting washington forest service.how many out of state indians are there hunting in washington,and why do they get to hunt in spots that are closed to the us hunters.

The biologist told me that there were tribal hunters hunting elk in the Blues before and during the bow season and that they were from Washington, Idaho and Oregon and this was on the Washington side. I assume they have the "right" hunt there because it was where their ancestors hunted for subsistence. However it would have been a long horse ride back then to get there and and the big trophy bulls they are looking for now would have been of no importance as they are pretty chewy. Don't want to sound like a racist because I'm not but the current system is not working in my opinion. nwhunter

I don't even know where to start with this reply. If anything this post really shows just how uneducated and how shallow some people are......especially when it comes to Native Americans, history, and modern day hunting.
Let me start by saying I am pretty sure that reguardless of the area, state, or species being hunted there has been much more harm done by white people than the indians ever could do if they tried.
If you know anything at all about what your ancestors were doing 300 years ago compare it to what any Naive American was doing back then. Then skip ahead every hundred years until now and ask yourself honestly what has happend with our game animals and hunting in general. Yes, it is true that in the last 50 years there has been better decisions made for game animals and hunting in general than perhaps any other time, but then ask yourself why was this "management" needed in the first place. Here in Utah just look at what we have going on with our elk heards. No other state has killed as many Boone and Crocket bulls in the last 10 years or so. Also, almost every single unit in our state has had a 400" bull taken off of it.....some units have had multiple bulls tip the 400+ mark. Let me mention one other thing to you. Last season perhaps the biggest bull taken that year lived on indian ground most of his life. A well known guide who happens to be a "Pale Face" caught the bull off of the indian ground......"so the story goes",and his client took it.
I would dare say that for my 38 years of life I have hunted and been in the outdoors as much as anyone on this site and I too have stories like seeing a group of indians once in southern utah all passed out around a campfire when it was so cold I thought for sure that by morning they would surley die. And I have seen campsites, roads, ect....left so filthy by white hunters that it made you really wonder why they were there in the back country in the first place. Ask yourself if you added up all the illeagal kills that are prosecuted in the U.S.each year how much of a percent of those killing are made from races other than white???
It seems that most of the replys to this post were negative toward the indians simply because they were indians ... perhaps the people doing the complaining were just ticked-off that the indians were able to be hunting on a unit they couldn't hunt on during a time they couldn't hunt either.
As far as Indians being restricted to a certain area or restricted to thier own state to hunt in I don't know about that. I think that before the modern day government placed the boundries the indians, like the old trappers really didn't pay attention to boundries, it was more like from mountain range to mountain range or river system to river system.
As you may have gathered I am not a person who is bothered by other races or skin colors. In many ways I admire the indians and feel sorry for them at the same time. I don't believe there was ever a more noble people. Think of how they lived and the things they did before they had to start fighting to attempt to keep what was always thier own. Yes, it is true that some tribes became brutal but no more brutal than the treatment that was being shown to them. Now it is true they, in many cases, are a beat down race who is no longer proud. Your right about the trailors and wrecks on the reservations....it is a site to see (a sad site). Years ago I became friends with a navaho from the four corners area. My truck had gotten two flats in the same afternoon and I was in trouble because of my location and the heat. This navaho helped me get things back together and over the years he taught me a lot about an area I enjoyed hunting in. He taught me even more about tracking mule deer. Someone posted seeing the indians driving up drunk in trucks taking pop shots ect... I would like these white hunters to have the chance to hunt with my indian friend. He could track you across the coals of hell and bring you back on a pitch fork if I asked him to do it. I guess it is just the experiences you have seen first hand that make up ones opinions. By any means,people need to follow the rules especially when hunting is concerned. If your home states have given the natives special rules ask yourself why and dig deep to find the answer. Just be glad that buffalo aren't your favorite species to hunt since there are only a couple of free ranging heards left in the U.S.---- the elk are doing much better thank heavens. Every year I apply for an area in Arizona. It is near the "White Mountain" apache reservation. Also, If you like big muleys there is a place you can apply for called the Jicarilla. It is also ran by apaches. You can purchase tags there too if you have the means. Anyway, that is my opinion on the indians ruining the hunting up there for you boys.

>I don't even know where to
>start with this reply. If
>anything this post really shows
>just how uneducated and how
>shallow some people are......especially when
>it comes to Native Americans,
>history, and modern day hunting.
>
>Let me start by saying I
>am pretty sure that reguardless
>of the area, state, or
>species being hunted there has
>been much more harm done
>by white people than the
>indians ever could do if
>they tried.
>If you know anything at all
>about what your ancestors were
>doing 300 years ago compare
>it to what any Naive
>American was doing back then.
>Then skip ahead every hundred
>years until now and ask
>yourself honestly what has happend
>with our game animals and
>hunting in general. Yes, it
>is true that in the
>last 50 years there has
>been better decisions made for
>game animals and hunting in
>general than perhaps any other
>time, but then ask yourself
>why was this "management" needed
>in the first place. Here
>in Utah just look at
>what we have going on
>with our elk heards. No
>other state has killed as
>many Boone and Crocket bulls
>in the last 10 years
>or so. Also, almost every
>single unit in our state
>has had a 400" bull
>taken off of it.....some units
>have had multiple bulls tip
>the 400+ mark. Let me
>mention one other thing to
>you. Last season perhaps the
>biggest bull taken that year
>lived on indian ground most
>of his life. A well
>known guide who happens to
>be a "Pale Face" caught
>the bull off of the
>indian ground......"so the story goes",and
>his client took it.
>I would dare say that for
>my 38 years of life
>I have hunted and been
>in the outdoors as much
>as anyone on this site
>and I too have stories
>like seeing a group of
>indians once in southern utah
>all passed out around a
>campfire when it was so
>cold I thought for sure
>that by morning they would
>surley die. And I have
>seen campsites, roads, ect....left so
>filthy by white hunters that
>it made you really wonder
>why they were there in
>the back country in the
>first place. Ask yourself if
>you added up all the
>illeagal kills that are prosecuted
>in the U.S.each year how
>much of a percent of
>those killing are made from
>races other than white???
>It seems that most of the
>replys to this post were
>negative toward the indians simply
>because they were indians ...
>perhaps the people doing the
>complaining were just ticked-off that
>the indians were able to
>be hunting on a unit
>they couldn't hunt on
>during a time they couldn't
>hunt either.
>As far as Indians being restricted
>to a certain area or
>restricted to thier own state
>to hunt in I don't
>know about that. I think
>that before the modern day
>government placed the boundries the
>indians, like the old trappers
>really didn't pay attention to
>boundries, it was more like
>from mountain range to mountain
>range or river system to
>river system.
>As you may have gathered I
>am not a person who
>is bothered by other races
>or skin colors. In many
>ways I admire the indians
>and feel sorry for them
>at the same time. I
>don't believe there was ever
>a more noble people. Think
>of how they lived and
>the things they did before
>they had to start fighting
>to attempt to keep what
>was always thier own. Yes,
>it is true that some
>tribes became brutal but no
>more brutal than the treatment
>that was being shown to
>them. Now it is true
>they, in many cases, are
>a beat down race who
>is no longer proud. Your
>right about the trailors and
>wrecks on the reservations....it is
>a site to see
>(a sad site). Years ago
>I became friends with a
>navaho from the four corners
>area. My truck had gotten
>two flats in the same
>afternoon and I was in
>trouble because of my location
>and the heat. This navaho
>helped me get things back
>together and over the years
>he taught me a lot
>about an area I enjoyed
>hunting in. He taught me
>even more about tracking mule
>deer. Someone posted seeing the
>indians driving up drunk in
>trucks taking pop shots ect...
>I would like these white
>hunters to have the chance
>to hunt with my indian
>friend. He could track you
>across the coals of hell
>and bring you back on
>a pitch fork if I
>asked him to do it.
>I guess it is just
>the experiences you have seen
>first hand that make up
>ones opinions. By any means,people
>need to follow the rules
>especially when hunting is concerned.
>If your home states have
>given the natives special rules
>ask yourself why and dig
>deep to find the answer.
>Just be glad that buffalo
>aren't your favorite species to
>hunt since there are only
>a couple of free ranging
>heards left in the U.S.----
>the elk are doing much
>better thank heavens. Every
>year I apply for an
>area in Arizona. It
>is near the "White Mountain"
>apache reservation. Also, If you
>like big muleys there is
>a place you can apply
>for called the Jicarilla. It
>is also ran by apaches.
>You can purchase tags there
>too if you have the
>means. Anyway, that is my
>opinion on the indians ruining
>the hunting up there for
>you boys.

Actually I do know what my ancestors were doing 300 years ago, both red and white ones. The honest truth is they were killing each other, no exaggeration just fact.

Ransom

46f5c6fb27d0c425.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom