Book Cliffs

M

Muley1975

My wife drew a 2012 Book Cliffs rifle deer tag. We are headed down there this weekend to do a little research on where to camp and where to hunt. Never been to the area and am in need of some pointers. I know this is a migration area and we won't be hunting in October where the deer are now but where would we go this time of year to see deer? Next question is it possible for me this weekend to stay in Vernal and drive each day to spot or is it a long drive? Any help would be appreciated!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-12 AT 09:32AM (MST)[p]It would be possible to stay in Vernal but you have to travel 75 - 90 miles down a dirt road to get to where you will most likely hunt and camp. That is not counting the 40 or so mile so paved road just to get to the dirt road. You can do it - lots of people do every day, it is just a ways to go back and forth for scouting without camping. I would just camp out there, look around for a day or two then go back. It would be a lot more productive IMO.

You will see deer all over out there at that time. Yes, they do tend to migrate from higher up to the lower areas, but there are many areas where they are perrenial and by that time, they will be everywhere.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Muley,

I also drew the rifle permit!! There is a couple threads on here from me about it but I took a trip out there a few weeks ago and it was quite an eye opener. Like you, I had never set foot on the unit and was surprised as it was not the type of terrain I was expecting - thought I would be hunting/camping in pines/aspens - NOT!

With that said it is a VERY COOL unit and we saw LOTs of bucks but only a small number that I would consider shooters. Granted, we were out there more to get to know the area than to see the deer.

Here is one that fits the bill!!

1443img_0780.jpg

I'd be happy to chat with you about my experience and to share what little I know. I'll be back out there at least one more time in Sept and then again in early Oct. We will be out there a few days before the hunt and plan to stay the entire hunt if it takes that long.

PM me if you'd like to chat about it and I'll give you my number!

Good luck!
Jeremy

>PM Sent

Ok so this is my first post and I know how to send a PM but where do you retreive a PM?

Ok so next question. I usually don't tent it but until the new trailer gets here thats the plan for this weekend. Where would you recommend camping so that the wife and kids feel safe from the bears?

I've camped in tents, tent trailers, trailers, and on the ground out there. Never had an issue with bears on the Books. I've seen several. Heard stories of guys having them in camp out in the roadless area. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just be cautious and know that they are there. Just go out and enjoy it.

I also drew a rifle permit for the book cliffs this year and would love any advice or input!! I have an idea of where I'll be hunting, but if anyone who has had this tag in the past or have hunted with people that have, would be willing to share their experiences with me and to kind of let me know what to expect in general I would really appreciate it!!!! Please PM me

Anyone got any pics of bucks from this years archery hunt they want to share?

Ive been out there several times and have broken just about every rule there is about bear safety and have never seen one in or around our campsites.

As far as staying in Vernal and driving out there, I don't see why you cant do it. I've done it several times. If you drive into the Books via the Bonanza area, its 44 miles of paved road until the turn off. From the turn, its only 26 miles from there to Big Park which puts you into some good country. That 26 miles of road will take you about an hour though. The biggest buck our parties have seen was only about 5 miles off the Bonanza turn off, so you could really see deer from Watson/Rainbow and in. If you have additional ?'s, Im happy to help you out, but know that there are other guys in here that know that area much better. Ive only been out there myself with my own tag in 02 and 05, and then just a couple of times since helping family.

Ok so getting ready ot head out for one last trip and setup camp before next weekend. Hopefully we can see what is there. From what info I have gathered it may be an early migration since the elk hunters were seeing deer in in the lower elevations last weekend. Any thioughts on that?

>Ok so getting ready ot head
>out for one last trip
>and setup camp before next
>weekend. Hopefully we can
>see what is there.
>From what info I have
>gathered it may be an
>early migration since the elk
>hunters were seeing deer in
>in the lower elevations last
>weekend. Any thioughts on
>that?

That's normal

I was out there this last week until Thursday. We were starting to see lots of deer down low, though very few bucks, they might still be transitioning, but lots of does and fawns have already migrated.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Does anyone know where I could fill my trailer with Water in the Roosevelt area? I really do not want to pull it fully loaded the full 220 miles. Next question we have 2 tags and need to know if there is anywhere in Roosevelt that we could take a deer to keep it cold if we harvest 1 early on in the week?

>Does anyone know where I could
>fill my trailer with Water
>in the Roosevelt area?
>I really do not want
>to pull it fully loaded
>the full 220 miles.
>Next question we have 2
>tags and need to know
>if there is anywhere in
>Roosevelt that we could take
>a deer to keep it
>cold if we harvest 1
>early on in the week?

Try UTE Petroleum for water. We have filled up there before. Good Luck on the hunt! Don't go down Indian Ridge, everyone and there dogs and 10 friends without tags will be down there. Lol

Thanks for the advice on water trphymuleyhntr. Can't wait to get down there this afternoon. I hope that the deer have moved down since last week as we didn't see too much worth looking at. I'm sure it will be a great time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom