Bookcliffs roadless

Jq23

My buddy drew a bear tag for the bookcliffs roadless unit. I've hunted the unit for bears a handful of times but have always came in from the south end, sego canyon. Now that that access is closed we are coming in from ten mile knoll.

I've never been in from that way and was wondering how the road is getting up to the trailhead?
We'll be pulling a horse trailer.
Any tips or suggestions on where to find a bear? I know there's bears and glassing is key but anyone hunted from this side and have a decent spot to glass from?
Thanks.

Hay Canyon is your best option from the south end, in my experience. Its used by many a truck and trailer. Can be dicey if really wet, and there are some spots that are literally one lane, but other canyons from the south are steeper and/or have switchbacks not friendly to trailers.

At the top of Hay Canyon, at Three Pines, you meet the Divide Road and take it west. That road is a dirt highway and you'll have no trouble there. It will take you west towards Tenmile Knoll. There are always horse trailers at the trailhead so its very accessible.

This is all from memory... if I get home and realize I've left something out, I'll reply again.

As far as glassing, everything is a glassing spot from the top of the Roadless. 😁 I wish I had info on bears in there, but as many bears as I've seen over the years out there in the Books, I think you'll find one.!

Is Thompson springs canyon still open? In the past we pulled horse trailers up that and went down shee canyon (shee may not be spelled correctly for the record). You could either follow the forest service road that took you to Cunningham’s old cattle cabins and take the trail from there or there was a cutoff trail that was a little steeper but faster. Once you hit the trail it was relatively flat for miles. Anyway nice trail and I have never been in there without seeing multiple bears from the trail. But it has been many many many years since I have been in that way. Good luck, bears are pretty common in the books. My hunch is you will do well in about any canyon you decide to ride. Ps I’m a little jealous riding horses in the roadless is just about as good as it gets!

Is Thompson springs canyon still open? In the past we pulled horse trailers up that and went down shee canyon (shee may not be spelled correctly for the record). You could either follow the forest service road that took you to Cunningham’s old cattle cabins and take the trail from there or there was a cutoff trail that was a little steeper but faster. Once you hit the trail it was relatively flat for miles. Anyway nice trail and I have never been in there without seeing multiple bears from the trail. But it has been many many many years since I have been in that way. Good luck, bears are pretty common in the books. My hunch is you will do well in about any canyon you decide to ride. Ps I’m a little jealous riding horses in the roadless is just about as good as it gets!
Thompson Springs is Sego Canyon.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom