books on field judging bighorn sheep?

dslaughter

after about 10 years I drew a bighorn tag for Colorado. Looking at the statistics available I'm not expecting to take a monster ram but I'm very much looking forward to the hunt itself.
That said, I'll be scouting all summer and I'd like to know what I'm looking at. Can anyone recommend a good resource for judging bighorn sheep? I don't expect that I'll have another opportunity so I'd like to know that I'm taking the best ram I can find.
thanks for any help you can offer.
ds

ds,
I found that aside from actually looking at live sheep, hunting videos are a good way to at least get an idea about judging sheep. I know the late Duncan Gilchrist had a video on judging sheep, but I don't know if they are even available now. If you lived close by (central utah) I would let you borrow all my sheep videos (my wife is sure I have them all. lol)
At any rate since you also seem to have good scouting time, I would look over the unit the best you can and find one you like. Then when the season opens, go shoot him and be happy with him, regardless of what he scores.
99% of all hunters will never experience what you are about to do, so go have a great time and enjoy every second of it. There are some amazing sheep hunters/guides that view these posts. I am also sure most would all be glad to help.
Congratulations and good luck!

ds,
I just dug up several Duncan Gilchrist books and two vhs tapes I bought when I last had a bighorn tag in 1999. They were in my garage and we have desert heat. I don't have a vhs machine anymore, but I'll get/borrow one and see if they still work... I have a ram tag too this year, so give me a month or so to read/look them over. I'll let you borrow after that if you promise to send them back...
Good Luck,
Eric

Go to the search section and look up sheep judging and look at the thread from onedryboot there is alot of great info.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-22-12 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]I have some video movies of how to score Rocky Bighorn Rams.

I ya want to PM me your snail mail....addy

I will toss them in the mail to ya.

I WANT them back for sure though!!!

Robb

thanks EVERYONE!
Littlebighorn, I couldn't agree more. I'm going to enjoy this like its my last sheep hunt (and pray for more).
Austin, I read that article. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Sagebucks- I'll do that. thanks for the info.
Elmer and Please, I'll be in touch. Many thanks!
ds

another good one....
http://www.boone-crockett.org/community/pdf/FC_2003winter_fieldjudging.pdf
JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom