Boulder Mountain LE Elk

W

windwalker

I drew a muzz LE elk tag for the Boulder's this year! I've spent a lot of time on these mountians over the years - mainly fishing and some deer hunting, but I haven't made it down in the past two. Funny how life changes with kids and other adult responsibilites. I've seen some elk as I've hunted there, but not a lot as I've only pursued deer. Could anyone send me in the right direction to pursue a good bull elk. I'm mostly familiar with the Barkers, Kings Pasture, and Deer Creek areas. I will be scouting throughout the summer and have been running hills to get into shape.

I still can't believe I drew (I put in for the LE hunt because I already planned to do the muzz deer hunt at the same time, and fully expected not to draw.) My wife has given me full support to pursue this 100% since I missed a lot of hunting last year for family stuff. I think my stars have lined up for a good hunt as wife support for hunting is a miracle. We've got a party with 4 deer tags and it should be a good camp. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and anyone is welcome to stop into camp for some quality dutch oven cooking the night before the hunt!

Thanks,

ci

Thats what I was thinkin KTC. Sounds like she has his balls in her purse. I remember that year the the wife was'nt lining up all my stars come about Sept. 1st. She lives in a little one bedroom house by her self, works all day and waitresses at night to pay the bills now.
Boulder Muzz may be a little tough. If those bulls are not making any noise down there your going to be screwed. Stay under the rim and look over on the west side of the hill.

If I were you I would spend the night before the hunt hanging out in the heart shaped hot tub with your four other "friends" at the Rockin "R" Ranch in Antimony, followed by a long day of road hunting the griffen top on your four wheeler.

I have been down on the Boulder quite a bit over the years.

During the AR301 days, also chasing spikes and bucks bow hunting and with a couple of buddies that have drawn the LE rifle tag over the years.

I have no problem sharing some 'intel' with you.

For sure 'read and heed' what isayNUNYA gives you to consider.

Send me a PM if interested or an [email protected]

Robb

Your talking about one of my favorite MT. I was up there last weekend catching Tiger Trout. It's probably going to be late July until you can get clear across the top trust me a lot of snow left.

WW

I've spent a lot of time on that ole boulder mtn chasing the elusive Colorado Cutthroat and the truth is there are some monster bulls on that unit. Just last year I saw at least two that would gross well over 400. I will say that unit can be a real bugger when the elk are not talking, however, any hunter that is worth the money he paid for the tag should have no problem locating and putting the big whamo on a great boulder elk.

30buck , What part were you fishing? I was planning on heading down at the end of the month and wondered what the Posey road out of Bicknell was like as far as snow. How did you do on the Tigers?

WindW- Ignore the Pwhipped comments. Hunting cost me a 25 year marriage. Between my retirement, equity in the house and belongings, she made off with over $500,000.00.

The up side is I think I'll have 3-5 quality tags this year and I'm smiling as I type this so i guess its all relative.

Thats why divorce is so expensive, its worth it.

Check the Pacer bench, Ranch creek, Hog ranch, Rock creek.
Save your kitchen passes and dont bother scouting to much till the week before your hunt. It won't do you a bit of good to scout until then anyhow. If you know where the few places I just rattled off are you will do ok. Look there a day or two before your hunt. If there are no cows in there move some where else. Like I said before, Stay off the top! The elk will be below the rim for the most part.
The only other advice I have is don't let a woman run your life!

If I were you I would spend a little bit of time scouting if you havn't been up there a lot during the rut it is kind of one of those mountains you should be up there the year before you draw so you know what the elk are doing, and where to find them. The places isayNUNYA rattled off are some good places to start looking and listening for them. Good Luck on the hunt.

WW
Don't let the ribbing about your wife get to you, as some day your children and your wife will bless you for thinking of someone besides yourself. I love hunting as much as any guy, but I also love my wife and kids and know their needs as well. If she is willing to give you the 100% go on this hunt, she is certainly worth keeping! Good on you windwalker, and good luck on getting a big bull that you and your family can talk about for years to come.

LAST EDITED ON May-22-07 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p]I must say I was a bit surprised with all the Freudian analysis. I can handle it though as long as it comes with some good hunting ideas!!! A balanced life is a good life.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom