Bow Hunting, How Hard Is It?

sniper14

I am a rifle hunter, and not a very good. I am coming to realize that if I ever want to hunt a decent unit I will have to learn to hunt with a bow (deer or elk). How hard is it to learn to bow hunt, not the shooting aspect but more the stalking, wind direction ect.. Is it something a crappy rifle hunter could learn to do? What is the first thing I need to learn to get started? Any advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Archery hunting is the most rewarding hunt you can do however it can also be the most frustrating hunt you will do. You have to have all your stars lined up at the sometime. Scent control, wind at your face, sun at your back, and the patience of Job. Most rifle hunters are pretty aggressive, most successful archers have the patience to walk away from a trophy animal in hopes of getting on him again when the conditions are better. I find that I am much more aggressive when I have a rifle in my hand. I always go into an archery hunt with the attitude that I probably won't fill my tag and then I tend to have more fun and just enjoy the experience of being there so close to the animals. When you finally tag out, it is the highest of highs for me. Get a good use bow, do some over the counter hunts while you build points and have fun with it.

Pretty easy really just get a bow that is around 70lbs make sure u have atleast 5-6 pins on your sites! Go shoot it till you can hit the target with all your pins out to 60-70yds. Get a range finder before you get your tag and if the animal is like 90-130yds just hold high. All you got to do is draw blood then you can track em and move in for the easy kill!

Do you know how to WHINE yet?:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 07:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 07:18?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 07:17?PM (MST)

When I was young, whenever we went fishing for camping, I would spend a lot of my time practicing sneaking up on deer. I honestly could have reached out and touched some of them. When I was old enough to hunt, the conditions were perfect (wind) and I shot a four point in his bed. I was so close that I pulled back, put the broadhead about 6 inches from his ribs and let her fly. I know that sounds nuts, but he was laying up against a bush and I had to get that close to get an arrow through the limbs. If you want to learn how to sneak just watch a cat sneak on a bird. Move only when the animal's head is down or he is looking the other way. "Always" have the breeze in your face. I always tell people to take one step and look five. Movement is what catches a wild animal's eye. If there is no breeze to cover your sound, it really makes it much more difficult to move. Strong wind puts critters in deep cover because it screws up all their protective senses. Everything is moving so seeing movement is messed up. Air flow is swirling so smell is messed up, Lots of noise so hearing is messed up. But that can be the perfect time to penetrate thick cover. Best time to move around is during or right after a good rain. Just go out in the off season and have fun practicing. Good Luck!

Ok, since all the smart a$$'s are done, all I can really tell you is it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Being within 50 yards, but not having a shot and having to walk away is something that can frustrate you to the brink, but it's something that continues to bring me back. I would never PLAN on filling a tag when you are archery hunting, it's never a guarantee. My only advice is if you are going to archery hunt, please, please, please do it right. Learn your equipment, and do it right. Become an archery nerd. research kinetic energy, arrow weights, broadhead types and everything. Seriously get into it. This will make your odds go up, and you will be more educated about how to make yourself successful at archery hunting.
I've killed animals with a muzzleloader, a rifle, and a bow, and I can tell you that the satisfaction, and the accomplishment you feel is hands down much greater than a rifle or muzzleloader (nothing against these people)
For 9 years I tagged out 100 % with a muzzleloader/rifle. For 5 years I've tagged out twice with a bow.

sniper14... I used to be in the same shoes your in now. I never grew up bow hunting or anything what finally did it for me is seeing the chances of drawing, But most of all I got so sick of the over crowding on the rifle hunts. I am mostly talking about the General rifle deer hunts. You could pick it up very easy. To get started I would recommend going to a archery "pro shop" and getting some help. Get your draw length figured out or just measure finger tip to finger tip with your arms extended straight out to your sides. Find that # then divide that by 2.5 and you will be right on the money with your draw length. from there you can see what bows are available in your size. I could go on and on about more... Shoot as many bows as you can and see what one you feel like is the best. From there its alot of trial and error. Waring though it becomes very very addictive. Feel free to PM me with any questions I would be glad to help you out.

Its been almost 3 hours since this post was started and there has only been 2 smart azz comments
I'm kind of disappointed

I bow hunted for about 6 years as a young lad and found the hunting part fairly easy. I really had very little trouble getting within 30 yds or under of shooter bucks most hunts and though i could nail the ol hay bale dead center at that distance, i still lost a lot of arrows on the skittish, string jumping deer that i got shots at with my Ben Pearson recurve.

Finding my spent arrows! That was the hardest part for me. I don't think i ever missed a buck by very much but i missed a lot of them! With sight pins and rangefinders n such they got nowadays, should be a lot easier with fewer misses and the inevitable search for them damn hard to find arrows.

Joey

If you want to be a consistent at bowhunting, it has to become your passion. You have to learn to love hunting and learning, much more than shooting or killing.

Most of the wise mouth rifle guys who continually knock bowhunting do so because they are incapable of making the necessary adjustments to become a proficient bowhunter.

Above all else one has to learn patience and persistence, and that's not an easy chore for most good rifle hunters who are capable of easily sneaking within one hundred yards of a wild critter and dropping him in his tracks. Or if conditions are right, being able to pull off consistently 2 or 3 hundred yard shots.

What defeats most guys is the challenge of learning to close the distance to 30 yards or less and then not even getting the shot.

The dedicated hunter program is full of rifle and muzzleloader guys who aren't' capable of doing it just with a bow. I know this will bring out sme negative comments, but in most cases, that is a simple fact. That's' why I always call it the un-dedicated hunter program. Most are not dedicated enough to just do it with a bow and need the other weapons to cover their tag.

However once you learn the methods needed to be successful at bowhunting, it's really not that tough, to get a close shot, at a respectable animal. But it takes using your head and many years learning how to do it. There is far more involved than sneaking to 100 yards, placing your rifle on your shooting sticks and pulling the trigger.

But for those those persevere and learn, the rewards and satisfaction are unmatched.

I rifle hunted for many years, but once I gave up my rifle for good, I finally started to learn how to hunt. When you can shoot the distances, shot by today's rifle hunters, there's really no incentive for most to learn, more than how to shoot a gun.

Bowhunting is about learning about yourself, the animals you hunt, the country they live in, and the smallest part, once the other stuff is done, is keeping it together, at a very close distance, where the smallest mistake means you don't even get the shot.

Once you have experienced the sweet taste of bowhunting, little in the hunting experience will ever compare.

2BuckCollage2.jpg

39.jpg

Bowhunting is for those that are willing to learn and pay the sacrifice necessary which means not filling your tag most of the time. Its for those that learn to value the journey more than the destination. Most rifle guys can't do that.

Have a good one. BB

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-11 AT 10:07PM (MST)[p]Whatever the reason you don't feel you are a good rifle hunter, will probably not go away by switching to the (dark side) bow.

The archery thing is simply another form of hunting. Being good at it don't make you special....except in your own mind. You may not have the "ego" to be a bowhunter.

Too many bow hunters want you to think they could sneak into the White House and steal Michelle's underwear. Stick around here awhile, you'll get the picture. Their "Billy Better Than You", attitudes are disgusting!

I agree that the best advice is to become very proficient with your equipment, but the stealth part is simple common sense and basic woodcraft skills.

Many of us "non bowhunters" grew up catching wild animals with our bare hands, making our own bows, arrows and obsidian points....we don't need skill lessons from archery guys with compound bows, sight pins and rangefinders. They mostly make me giggle!

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

I decided I wanted to bowhunt when I was a teenager. I dint have anybody to teach me anything about it. The practicing and shooting is easy enough, but the rest you just have to learn as you go. One thing I did was practice stalking on animals up in the mountains in the spring. I even would try to sneak in on cattle in the fields behind my house. One of the best things you can do though is hunt some small game first. Go try to get some rabbits. It will be a big help when it comes time for deer.
Unlike most people, I tagged a deer my first year, but it was a just little forked horn. I havent tagged one since with a bow, but I love tryin. Picked up a muzzleloader for a few seasons with success each year, but went back to bow last year. I would rather have an unsuccessful season with a bow than a successful one with a rifle. It is harder, but its also a lot more fun.

The hardest part is having a 380+ bull @43 yards and just as you settle your pin on his chest he turns and walks away and stands at 90 yards and rips a bugle as if to say "Sucker" Then watch him walk away and say to yourself I will get him tomorrow.
The hardest part is being so close, yet so far away

Everyone's posts are correct that are relating to archery hunting. Pick up a copy of "Back Country Bowhunting, with DVD by Cameron Hanes and then learn and practice in the field everything on the Archery Hunting Safety Course at nbef.org

If you decide to give archery a try... pick up a quality bow and new technology arrows...that will help out a bunch :) Anyone can archery hunt..it takes time and commitment to the sport. It is not always about the kill. Its about the stalk, ethics and more... which you will see when you read the book and take the free on-line course at nbef.org. The course only costs something it you want the actual certification where you can qualify to archery hunt anywhere in the world. All the on-line learning information and practice quizes and chapter tests and daily access to the information is free. Only the actual Certification test is $25.00.

Good Hunt'n

)))).......>

Archery elk hunting is a cake walk. Get yourself the fastest bow on the market for that day. Get some sitka gear, swaros and last but not least a Hoochie Mama! The last one is the key. If you think your not calling enough...call some more! If that doesn't work, have your wife drive you and your buddies up and down Diamond Fork in the truck. Make sure you have an arrow nocked while you sit on the love seat in the bed of the truck. You never know when that trophy of a lifetime will step out. Make sure you roll your window down all the way when you bugle out the window. Keep the call inside the truck though, it makes your bugle sound like a really big bull.
Hope that helps...You're welcome in advance.

Traditional >>>------->

I found I learned to be a good hunter after I picked up a bow. You will find there is nothing quite like the rush of sneaking in close--whether you get the shot or not. I took it up to try to get away from crowded rifle seasons as well. That was 22 years ago.

I've killed a few animals with the bow, but limit myself to 30 yards and prefer 20 with my equipment. When I shot a compound many years ago, that limit was stretched out to 40 yards. I pass up a lot of animals (especially elk) that would have been a done deal with the compound.

You will probably find that you will see more animals, suffer the frustration of seeing easy rifle shots outside your effective range with a bow, and observe and learn more about the animals you hunt in one or two seasons then most all of the prior.

Take it up, learn you and your equipment's limits and commit yourself to staying within those limits. Many good trophy hunters, rifle or bow, get great animals because they are willing to not take a shot prematurely. I expect those who routinely take world class animals do it often.

Read some of Dwight Schuh and G. Fred Asbell's stuff. There are a lot of other good authors out there. Go to the library and go through the stack of old hunting magazines and read everything on bowhunting. Sometimes the old articles are better as they didn't seem to focus so much on equipment and hype. Don't let the rifle hunters get to you, and ignore the purists and techno freaks when they try to convince you that their type of equipment is the only way to go.

One thing you don't want to overlook is the rewards. Generally archery seasons tend to take place in the peak rut or when the game is more vulnerable. The seasons are also usually much longer than firearms, giving you more opportunity.

It is true that if you go archery you will need to be fairly dedicated but not crazy. The new technology in compound bows and let-off result in me being able to put it down and pick it up 6 months later and still be plenty accurate enough to hunt. However, I think most guys enjoy shooting so much they participate in 3D shoots and such.

Another really great thing I enjoy about archery is the quiet hunting. No orange army tromping through the woods, no loud shots ruining your quiet mornings. It helps if you enjoy challenges and are patient.

If bowhunting was easy, Rifle hunters would do it.

:p

Mathews Z7
CX Maxima Hunter 350
Sure Loc Single pin
Epek XC3 Broadheads

One of the benifits of archery hunting is that you have a greatly accelerated learning curve. It would take 25 years of rifle hunting to get the number of encounters you get archery hunting in a just a few years. During the first part of the archery hunt you can put in 3 stalks a day on unsuspecting bucks if you've done your homework.

After a time you will know if the frustration of being oh so close all the time yet not getting it done will wear you down or if it simply feeds the fire.

Cheers,
Pete

p.s.- as for bebopalulu, he's just a pot head calling the kettle black when it comes to throwing temper tantrums on this forum :)

You will learn a ton, and hopefully become a much better hunter after the first year of bow hunting. There is a ton to learn and a huge learning curve. Though there are always times of frustration even for the experienced, if you stick with it and learn from your mistakes, eventually you can increase you odds phenomenally.

To be consistent at taking respectable, mature, 4 plus year old bucks with a bow takes a lot of commitment, even with the favorable seasons over rifle hunting. You need to be stalking on as many animals as possible to increase you odds. I have found that a shot opportunity within 50 yards (my range limit) is presented once out of about 5-7 stalks on average. It might happen on the first one, or maybe not happen on 10 in a row, so you need to be stalking a lot and know where the animals are and how to find them. To be consistent on mature bucks, scouting is eminent, as well as patients, and a lot of both.

I have taken bucks with rifles,traditional muzzleloaders, and archery gear. Anybody that argues that anything but archery is the most rewarding has never been successful on a nice bow kill. I will undoubtedly hunt in the future with all these weapons at some point or another and have a blast doing it, but my true passion is archery.

From my experiences, when you are muzzleloading, you think if only you could use a rifle. When archery hunting, you think if only you could use a muzzeloader. But when you feel the satisfaction of a bow kill, you wouldn't trade it for the world.

So, the answer to you question is no, it is not that tough but you will have to climb over that learning curve and put in your time. Make sure you know your limits. Shooting a book at 30 yards is much more of an accomplishment than 70 plus yards. Long range shooting with any weapon is nothing to brag about off the range unless you are a sniper, so don't get caught up in that either and you will be heading in the right direction.

Learn whatever weapon you plan to use and have fun.

With today's archery tackle you can be proficient after a week of practice. Go to a good archery shop and get fitted for a bow. You can purchase a used bow to start. Once you can hit a pie plate at 25 yards go hunting. Keep in mind bow hunting is an ambush sport; you're not gonna sneak up on the critter and stick'em. Hunt the same areas you hunt with your rifle and use a tree stand. If there are no trees then use a well concealed ground blind. If you have a good ambush spot, i.e. water hole/wallow, trail intersection, food source you are going to get an opportunity. When you get an opportunity take your time and make the most of it. Even if you don't succeed you'll be gathering intel for rifle season. Nothing is more dangerous in the woods than a bow hunter with a gun in their hands. Have fun and enjoy the experience. archery season is a great time to be in the woods/mountains.

Bowhunting is not hard..... Consistently killing something with a bow takes dedication....What makes you a crappy rifle hunter? Terry

You can bowhunt...If you've waited building points and have youth on your side (some of us don't) and if your ok with SEEING 190-240" class bucks on some limited entry units and being happy with KILLING a 160-180 class buck...then burn your points...Maybe a muzzeloader tag would be a better option if you have doubts...Pictures thru spotting scopes make anything look easy! haha...

I have great respect for bowhunters that are successful in their hunting - In order for them to be successful, they not only have to get close for the kill but have to also be proficient in using the bow. I tried it many many years ago before there were compound bows and all the new technology - I had a 35# Ben Pearson and a 50# Fred Bear recurve - problem was I didn't practice like I should and the day I shot two times at a nice buck and missed was the day I quit bowhunting. I decided if I wasn't going to put in the practice time then I should not be in the field flinging arrows. The real problem was not my getting close for a good shot, it was I just shouldn't have been in the woods with my limited shooting ability. I sold the bows and went back to the rifle. I think there is a place in our sport for all types of legal weapons but practice, practice is the key.

Wildsage

It takes a lot of practice and dedication to be a good bow hunter. It is all worth it to experience game up close and personal. It can be very frustrating, being 100 yards a way from a trophy of a lifetime, but is so worth it once you get your first buck or bull...

I have killed a fair amount of animals with a rifle, but my bow kills bring me a lot more satisfaction because of the work involved and time it took.

I spend over $1000 last year on gear. After five months of practice I hunted 9 days and never killed a deer. I passed up 40 plus bucks withing 50 yards. I can't wait until this year. I have taken four bucks with my bow. It is fun and the seasons are long. But you can get a gun every year for what I put into my bow. Feeding deer and ground blinds, with the help of game cameras can greatly increase your odds of getting a deer with a bow.

I switched to bow hunting when i was just 15. i realized that if i was going to spend the amount of time in the woods that i wanted to then i needed to get out and bow hunt. get ready to get hooked my friend. do you live in N Utah? if so, I'd have not problem takin you to a bow shop and showing you some of the ins and out of the archery world, showing how fun, easy and challenging bowhunting is.

Post 9 said:
"I rifle hunted for many years, but once I gave up my rifle for good, I finally started to learn how to hunt. When you can shoot the distances, shot by today's rifle hunters, there's really no incentive for most to learn, more than how to shoot a gun."

I didn't realize how talented you were! Wow

Ruff, Yeah, i get a kick outa this guys comments as well. He once told me that i didn't know what i was talking about and should change my mind about archery hunting because he grew up in Wyoming, bla, bla, bla! I now just let him show his nice camera work and run his mouth about how poor of hunters us rifle guys are.

There is little doubt that there are guys out there that are great at archery hunting and are good hunters. Some of my best friends are great archery guys. There is also little doubt that there are plenty of way poor archery guys out there. If i have a bone to pick with archery hunting, it's with those that don't practice enough, shoot way farther at game than they are capable, and keep sticking arrows in game until one drops in sight. Unfortunately, these guys are out there too but some are so passionate about their sport, they want to sweep that sort of talk, reality, under the rug.

Joey

Great tips and advice. I'm getting excited to try it already. Looks like I'm converting, and by the sound of it, it looks like I'm turning to the dark side. Call me Darth Vader. Hey that's a cool MM name, I got dibs. I'll keep you posted on how things turn out for me. Thanks again for all the great responses.

As stated above "you better like the hunting part more then the killing part."

Despite what some say it is actually hard on general land to get an arrow in anything let alone a trophy. More then likley you will eat tag soup with a bow tag in hand.

Bow hunting will teach you how to be a better hunter despite what some will say. I have hunted with both bow and rifle and it is rewarding to shoot anything with a rifle but it is more satisfying and harder for me to do it with a bow.

I like the hunting part more then the killing part and this is why I like to hunt with a bow.

good luck if you choose to pick up a bow but remember it is definatly a year round commitment. It is not something you should just pick up a day or two before the season and fire a few rounds off like you can when you hunt with a rifle.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]

"I rifle hunted for many years, but once I gave up my rifle for good, I finally started to learn how to hunt. When you can shoot the distances, shot by today's rifle hunters, there's really no incentive for most to learn, more than how to shoot a gun."

Please regale us with your "stalking" exploits from your blind..I dig your pic's and all, but your plight at sucking with a rifle is just that...a plight.

Successful hunters get it done with whatever is in their hands, and unlike most "bow or nothing" hunters, many of us dont change our trophy standards just so we can actually get a bow kill, then brag about how hard it was to shoot our piss head (yes I have bow kills).

Sorry, but your way off.Like most serious hunters, I hunt all weapons..Its just the Whine of the current crop of archery hunters, which you reiterate very well, that makes me bad mouth it.

Man, you archery fanatics just won't learn, will you!

If you would simply preface your dribble with the words, "in my opinion", or, "to me", or, "my choice is", or, "I personally get more satisfaction"..... you wouldn't come off as such idiots!

To continue to insist, that you are better hunters than the rest of us, is simply stupid.

How about if I begin to publicly insist, that archery hunters wound more game, lose more game ( which EVERYONE knows is a fact) and should not be allowed to inflict extensive pain and suffering to game animals and should no longer be allowed to hunt with arrows?......much less have more opportunity!

I have yet to hear one bowhunter say they are better hunters than rifle hunters. I understand that is not true, nor do I feel I am better at my trade than they are at theirs.

But wither one wants to accept it or not, getting within 20 yards of an animal is much harder than getting within 100 yards. It's tougher to get within 100 yards than it is 500 yards. And should you choose to not understand that rifle hunting is more about shooting than it is hunting, I have no problem with that. And should you choose think that bowhunter think they are better hunters than rifle hunters I am okay with that, even though most bow hunters don't feel that way.

The main difference between a good bowhunter and good rifle hunter is the bowhunter is hunting more the hunt and the rifle hunter is more for the surer kill.

On a year in and year out basis, a good rifle hunter will kill far more animals and in most cases, critters that will score higher in the books than will most good bow hunters.

But for you sensitive rifle boys, who seem to interpret that dedicated bowhunter somehow think that are much better and far more important in the hunting world, than is a good rifle hunter, let me say you are just living in a fantasy world, as very few bow hunters feel that way.

I respect good rifle hunters. I know a lot of them really have their "crap" together when it comes to hunting. And I truly respect. I used to rifle hunt a lot for many years when I was young and I loved it. But along the way it lost its lure and attraction, but in no way do I think I am better because I now bowhunt rather than rifle hunt. It's kind of like a guy who drives Chevy vs. a Ford. I might love my Chevy and you your Ford, but it doesn't make either us better than the other, we just have different values and value different things. The same can be said about bowhunting vs. rifle hunting.

But one big fallacy many rifle hunters seem to have it that bowhunter wound a lot more animals that do rifle hunters. I am not talking over all numbers, I am talking percentagewise of hunters. Rifle hunters wound far more animals than do bow hunters and far more deer that are hit with a rifle die than those hit with bow. It's easy for a few you to always fall back and preach that myth, but do some studies and you will discover this erroneous idea if far from reality.

Simply, rifle hunters and bowhunter hunt and enjoy and value the experience, for far different reasons. It make neither better than the other, just different. Some can accept that, and some can't as evidenced by some of the above comments

I do stand by my comments that bowhunting forces you to learn more about getting close to the animal and thus I feel requires more hunting than shooting. Rifle hunting on the other hand becomes more about being a better shot than a better hunter.

Ain?t it great we have the freedom to chose what best cranks our motor?

Have a good one. BB

43.jpg

bb wrote,
"I have yet to hear one bowhunter say they are better hunters than rifle hunters. I understand that is not true, nor do I feel I am better at my trade than they are at theirs."

Thats funny! Your the worst one at it.

I am a hunter and I choose to hunt with a rifle that most would consider at least a semi Long Range setup and I also hunt with a bow (recurve) that most would consider a very short range weapon.

I have been successful with both and neither on its own makes the experience any more or better than the other IMO. It is more about personal standards and limits than the weapon, for example if it is easy to get close to multitudes of game (inside 500 yards) then I will choose to look for a mature elusive animal and if I am archery hunting in an area where it becomes easy to get inside 100 and down into compound range I will choose the recurve or put a size limit on the animal I wish to harvest.

Most places I have hunted it is difficult to FIND a large animal let alone get into even rifle range in October. Just as some of the places I have hunted mulies and blacktails that get limited pressure in early August it is MUCH SIMPLER to find a mature animal and quite honestly aren't that difficult to get to 70 yards on IMO.

BB you may not feel or intend to reflect that you are somehow a better hunter than a rifle guy but if you read your post honestly you will see how that is EXACTLY what you are saying in your posts.

I also have to say IME archery hunters hit and lose more game than rifle hunters although it is not as vast as some might think, BUT that is simply my PERSONAL experience with hunters I have been around ( not hunting with just around ).

Bow hunting will teach SOME people how to be better hunters simply by bringing them into contact with more animals and more stalks BUT many people if they really want to learn will become the best hunter they can be while rifle hunting as well. Has very little to do with the weapon IMO.

As to the original post if you have interest in archery hunting then by all means GO FOR IT! Just don't expect it to make you a better hunter or superior to ANYONE else because it won't contrary to what any above say. In fact don't become part of the problem if you choose archery TAKE IT VERY SERIOUSLY and practice endlessly and take only high percentage shots!

To each their own.

Bill

Billy.....are you off your meds?

Go back and read your post#9.

You sir, are in serious need of counseling.

Your mother would be well advised to remove all sharp, pointed objects from your immediate vicinity!

The weapon one chooses to hunt with should not mean beans. It is about personal preferance. It is about the hunt and not killing. I have hunted with a rifle and muzzleloader most of my life. Not because I think I cannot stalk upon an animal, but because it is what I like to do. I think REAL archery, REAL rifle, REAL muzzleloader hunters are all very good hunters. Most shoot their weapons year around. Most spend countless hours on the mtn. I don't think we should continue saying negative comments or bad mouthing each other. We are all hunters in our respective ways. I hunt with hounds, I hear that is unethical. I would take anyone along to show them just how ethical it is. To me it is not about the kill at all, but about spending time in the hills with my hounds. Watching them, observing game, etc.. A person learns alot by hunting all species of game along with the predators that hunt them. They too have their place and my respect. Yes there are gun hunters right along with bow hunters that have no business in the woods until they learn some respect and appreciation for our right to be able to harvest or let walk any big or small game animal. They are killers....simple as that. I would like to believe that we have more hunters than killers in our sport.

If
>i have a bone to
>pick with archery hunting, it's
>with those that don't practice
>enough, shoot way farther at
>game than they are capable,
>and keep sticking arrows in
>game until one drops in
>sight.>
>Joey

Joey,
We have something in common, because if I have a bone to pick with rifle hunting, it's with those that don't practice enough, shoot way farther at game than they are capable, and keep shooting bullets in game until one drops in sight.

I gotta be honest. I have never seen a bowhunter shoot violently into a herd of running elk hoping to hit something, reload and keep shooting. Can't say the same for the rifle guys with cow tags nearly every year. Likewise not very often do I see rifle hunters pass up shots due strictly to distance or wind or ......

Really there are idiots in all types of hunting. I think the problem lies in the fact that we all hunt for different reasons and we can't accept that what is important to some may not be important to us. Some of us go for the hunt, some for the kill, some for the family time and we all probably hunt for a little of each. I don't really think that one is more valid or noble than the other. I am a diehard bowhunter but I still believe that if I were to rifle hunt I would still be able to enjoy the hunt, nature and the other things I enjoy about bow hunting.

>If you want to be a
>consistent at bowhunting, it has
>to become your passion.
>You have to learn to
>love hunting and learning, much
>more than shooting or killing.
>
>
>Most of the wise mouth rifle
>guys who continually knock bowhunting
>do so because they are
>incapable of making the necessary
>adjustments to become a proficient
>bowhunter.
>
>Above all else one has to
>learn patience and persistence, and
>that's not an easy chore
>for most good rifle hunters

>who are capable of easily
>sneaking within one hundred yards
>of a wild critter and
>dropping him in his tracks.
> Or if conditions are
>right, being able to pull
>off consistently 2 or 3
>hundred yard shots.
>
>What defeats most guys is the
>challenge of learning to close
>the distance to 30 yards
>or less and then not
>even getting the shot.
>
>The dedicated hunter program is full
>of rifle and muzzleloader guys
>who aren't' capable of doing
>it just with a bow.
> I know this will
>bring out sme negative comments,
>but in most cases, that
>is a simple fact.
>That's' why I always call
>it the un-dedicated hunter program.
> Most are not dedicated
>enough to just do it
>with a bow and need
>the other weapons to cover
>their tag.
>
>However once you learn the methods
>needed to be successful at
>bowhunting, it's really not that
>tough, to get a close
>shot, at a respectable animal.
> But it takes using
>your head and many years
>learning how to do it.
> There is far more
>involved than sneaking to 100
>yards, placing your rifle on
>your shooting sticks and pulling
>the trigger.
>
>But for those those persevere and
>learn, the rewards and satisfaction
>are unmatched.
>
>I rifle hunted for many years,
>but once I gave up
>my rifle for good, I
>finally started to learn how
>to hunt. When you
>can shoot the distances, shot
>by today's rifle hunters, there's
>really no incentive for most
>to learn, more than how
>to shoot a gun.
>
>Bowhunting is about learning about yourself,
>the animals you hunt, the
>country they live in, and
>the smallest part, once the
>other stuff is done, is
>keeping it together, at a
>very close distance, where the
>smallest mistake means you don't
>even get the shot.
>
>Once you have experienced the sweet
>taste of bowhunting, little in
>the hunting experience will ever
>compare.
>
>
2BuckCollage2.jpg

>
>
39.jpg

>
>Bowhunting is for those that are
>willing to learn and pay
>the sacrifice necessary which means
>not filling your tag most
>of the time. Its
>for those that learn to
>value the journey more than
>the destination. Most rifle
>guys can't do that.
>
>Have a good one. BB

i think u and sw are made for each other. e harmony at its best!

CNEDEER, You sound like a pretty good guy that has a good idea what's going on. Yes there are good and bad in all of us! That said, when you can honestly convince me/us that average Joe hunter is more likely to be deadlier accurate with archery gear than with a proper scoped firearm, then i'll agree and let you turn the tables.

As i said above, after about 6 years of giving archery hunting a go, i realized for whatever reasons i wasn't proficient enough at close range on game to be fair to the animal, so i quit and rifle only hunted from then on. That's just me and why i quit and i got into bucks every hunt that i went on! Looking back, it took me 5-6 years to figure out that i really never should have started!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-11 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]

"But for you sensitive rifle boys, who seem to interpret that dedicated bowhunter somehow think that are much better and far more important in the hunting world, than is a good rifle hunter, let me say you are just living in a fantasy world, as very few bow hunters feel that way."

Go read on bowsite, or one of your own posts, then say that with a straight face.

Its all good tho, I'm aware that fooling the senses of a TROPHY critter at bow range is far harder..For me its a moot point tho, its all about the tag, draw odds and opportunity, I dont go out to fool just any critter, with any weapon, I will use the weapon that gives me the opportunity to hunt area's where big critters live(in most cases). I will also admit, a bow kill is the biggest rush there is in hunting.

That's BULLSSHIT!

Evidentally you've never killed a Big Game Animal with a Flipper on an ANY WEAPON PERMIT?

There Ya go REDDOG!

That new gamo pellet, in conjunction with my proprietary synthetic rubber sling borders on unethical...

That's True DAWG but can you imagine being Famous?

44 years of flinging arrows and it is still a thrill. I also use those iron sticks. Both have challenges when hunting and both can be rewarding and fun. For me, bow hunting is easier.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom