Breech plug stuck........HELP!

UT1031

My friend gave me his muzzy to try and get the breech plug out. It is a Winchester X150 ans has the same breech as the CVA 209. I have tried hot water, penetrating oil and last night I twisted the wrench fitting right off. Anyone have ideas or know a gunsmith in the SLC area that could help me out?
Thanks,
Kelly

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-09 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]heat the outside of the barrel that the breech plug threads into. you need to heat the barrel and not the breech plug. The heat expands the metel and allows the plug to unthread.

had the same rifle. Remove the barrel from the stock, use a propane torch and heat all around the breech plug area for a couple minutes, Keep your breech plug tool on it and keep pressure on it while you heat.

Get either some teflon tape or a good quality grease * slick50* will work.

www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net

I have had to plug the breech plug hole with a round tooth pick and fill the barrel with water for a couple days and let it soak in.If it is stuck from not cleaning after shooting ,this may do it. Other wise do as other have said ,but make sure it is not been left loaded.I bought a used rifle once that I checked and it was left loaded.put a cap on it and it fred the first try.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-09 AT 06:11PM (MST)[p]I can't say enough about BH209.

UT1031 knows about it, not sure his buddy does.

I think with the twisted off breech plug,you will have to send it to the factory or a good gunsmith.It will have to be heated and drill and use an easy out.I can't think how else you could get it out.

Thank you to all who replied. I applied a little propane heat and was able to get the breech plug out.
Kelly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom