Broadhead cut diameter

dang302

Its been boring in here lately, guess everyone is out hunting...my hunt is not unitl January.

What would do more damage (initiale more blood loss) a 2.3" diameter, 2-blade rage, or a 1.5" diameter 3-blade T3?

I will be hunting Ibex and shots will be longer, at steep angles, and while hanging off the side of a cliff. It will most likely be windy too. They are small animals and I would approach these the same way one approaches antelope.

I don't think penetration is an issue, I will be shooting 430 grain arrows at 320 FPS (and agian, these are little).

I want to maximize my ability to kill one with a less than perfect shot. (I am not talking about a gutshot or rump hit, etc.) I mean one lung or liver, etc. Initially I figured the largest cutting diameter possible would be best, but is a 3 blade better?

I know a lot of theory here, but there isn't anything else going on here, so what do you guys think?

Heres a link to figure out your question. I think its in the part 2 ( the second video from the top. Check out all the videos if ya want. Pretty impressive bh imo.

The swacker is one of the worst designed mechanical heads on the market imho. They are trying to sell you on a broad head that will only open up on the inside of the animal. Watch there own videos and they will tell you this. You want a big entrance hole on the game your hunting especially if you dont get a pass through. The last thing you want is a tiny entrance hole and leak all the blood on the inside of the deer making it a harder then it has to be tracking job.

Now if you feel you have to shoot that style of head go with a ulmer broadhead. It is basically looks the same but is designed better.

Back to the initial posters question. I think you would have to have an autocad program to tell which one actually cuts more tissue. My guess is they are pretty close to the same surface area. Out of the two you listed I would probably go with the rage 2 blade.

who farted?

Thats pretty much what I have been thinking...just go with the biggest diameter available.

The swacker does not impress me, but I am amazed how many people are excited about the Ulmer...guess that name means something.

The ulmer is designed better and opens differently than the swacker head does. It will leave just as big an entrance hole as your rage. I personally feel it is a better head than the rage and i'm not the type that get all caught up in what randy shoots. I'm also not the type that goes for the mechanical heads either.

who farted?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-12 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]Ok...I see the difference now in how they open. It does make sense that the ulmer will cut in entrance and the swacker won't. I am not sure that matters much. (a little for tracking purposes)

In regards to "it will leave just as big an entrance hole as your rage." I assume you mean it will be fully deployed on entrance and the rage won't. I am not defenting the rage; I know nothing about them.

I am mostly interrested in the 2.3" cutting diameter vs. 1.5"...thats almost an inch!

Lol go ahead and shoot any other head and dull blades big time on entrsnce. Ill uses a swhacker and have a 1 inch entrance and fresh untouched razor sharp blades in the vital cavity ( expelling all energy where it matters) and exiting witha huge hole. They tend to bleed just fine with 4 inch exit hole. Thats the best part about a shwacker is you get pass threws with huge holes. Now if your not shooting a bow that produce more than 60 lbs of kentic energy than they wont work properly. I have seen and heard of plenty of animals shot with them and never seen or heard them go farther than 40 yards.

31incher

Saying a broadhead will be so dull the instant it hits an animal is ludicrous and poor marketing. The fact that the swacker head is expanding on the inside of the animal will mean it is using more energy which could result in a non pass through with a small entrance hole. Its simple physics! In fact its simple physics that says expendables use more energy on impact then a fixed blade cut on contact head of equal cutting diameters.

All i'm saying is the ulmer head is a better design then swhacker and both broadheads look identical. So if I had to choose one of them it would be the better designed Ulmer. Besides the swhacker even sounds gay. lol

who farted?

Cutting diameter aside, I think one point that is often missed with heads of this type is the downside of a long aluminum ferrule with blades tucked inside. Long and aluminum = easy to bend. The ferrule bends and the blades get locked up, failing to deploy. I've had it happen with one of the heads mentioned here. And on a little javelina no less, 3" of penetration. Arrow hit shoulder then fell out with the ferrule seriously bent and band still around the blades. This was with a 70 lb bow, 430 gr arrow going 280 fps. No thanks. I'm not anti mechanical, but I am anti long aluminum ferrule mechanical.

Good point big pig and thus another reason I shoot the same style head as you do. There dependable and will also shoot great at longer distances. You definitely won't have to worry about failure.

However the heads you shot are probably better than the three different ones i've been shooting, although they are all the same style. Why don't you post a link to them.

who farted?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-12 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-12 AT 02:10?PM (MST)

Best place to buy is www.rayzor-VPA.com and more pics and info at www.vparchery.com VPAs are cnc machined from a solid block of tool steel. That is what sets them apart from other similar heads. The design is nothing new, just better construction, IMO.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I guess these heads are on the opposite end of the durability spectrum from what was originally asked about.

"I will be hunting Ibex and shots will be longer, at steep angles, and while hanging off the side of a cliff. It will most likely be windy too. They are small animals and I would approach these the same way one approaches antelope."

Whatever head you choose, from personal experience you should practice STEEP shots! ie. LOS 50yds treat it like 35yd. Best of luck, it is one heck of a hunt.

I agree with practiceing the steep angle shots. on the aluminume ferral I shot two elk and a deer with the grimm reaper heads this year. 1st time trying mechanicals. all 3 bent the ferrals but were fully opened the hole way through. went through both shoulders on all 3. i tend to hold a little far foward my fault but works. i shoot acc pro hunters @ 440 gr @309fps. All three animals where dead in 20 yrds. i would not be afraid to use the same setup next year, but i belive i will shoot the deep sixx ulmers with the injections.

Moseley Middleton

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom