Broadhead Selection

FamousAddiction

I recently purchased a Reflex Ridgeline. I'm currently shooting it at 70lbs with a 30.5" draw. Using Gold Tip XT 75/95 with a ripcord fall away. I am grouping very well up to 60-70 yards with field tips (100 grain), so my question is which broadheads should I go with? I've heard that fixed blades are harder to tune than mechanical. So what's your opinion. Fixed/Mechanical, and what brands do you guys like for fixed/mechanical? I appreciate the help.

I used to use the Rcket steel head and it shot great but I switched to a Slick Trick and Have had good flight and good results!

I shoot the 100 gr. wacem's and have excellent arrow flight, I have also shoot the rage 2 blade and they also fly great, they are also defestating when the hit a animal also. Huge entry and exit holes. There are many great heads on the market you just have to give a couple a try and see what works best for you.

We have had good luck with rocket steel heads and NAP mechanicals. My wife also uses magnus stingers and snuffers. I like the mechanicals. I have used them on several elk with great results. There is nothing that beats good shot placement though.

If the arrow is spined correctly for the bow, charts are not always right, any broadhead will fly at the same point of impact as a fieldpoint after it is tuned correctly. Some may disagree with that statement, but it is what I have found.

that aside, I shoot 125gr stinger 4 blades.

Magnus, Slicks, Wac'Ems, or THeads for fixed. Rage, Snyper, or Grim Reeper for mechanicals.
I prefer fixed for the assurance that if I hit my spot, it will do it's job. But on the other hand, mechanicals' design is getting alot better and they are performing pretty dang well.

It's getting to the point now that it's just personal preference. Mechanical or Fixed in any of the above will do their job, if you do yours.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Still not sure on fixed/mechanical, but I still have a litle time to decide. Appreciate all the advice.

If you resort to shooting a mechanical only because you are not getting good flight with fixed blade heads you are merely hiding from the underlying problem. Your bow is not tuned and/or you have poor form. With good form and a well tuned bow you should get good flight out of fixed heads and they should group with your field points. If you still want to use a mechanical due to personal preference, go ahead, just don't use one to cover up a poor tune.

I sometimes use mechanicals for deer and antelope, but I personally would not use one for big bears, elk or hogs. That's just me though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom