Browning BAR

muzz

Long Time Member
Anyone have one? What cal and how accurate does it shoot? Im looking for one for next year.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I have a BAR Safari 06 without the Boss.I have never had any trouble with it and I have used it for years tell.
The BAR Lightweight Stalker nightmare.Now I went back to the 06.

I did buy a new 338 Win Mag about five years ago It was a
BAR Lightweight Stalker.I would not recommended it to no one.
JUNK JUNK JUNK.Did I say JUNK.

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

I have the safari w/o boss in 7mm mag. When I took it to the range it was shooting like a champ at 300 yards. Being a semi-auto it helps a lot with recoil as well.

I don't own one, but I know a few people that do, and they seem to like them. I think if you have to have an auto loader, that is the one...but I don't know why anyone would want to pack that extra weight for a possible quick follow up shot. I can run my browning X-bolt almost as fast if I need an extra shot, and it is a pleasure to pack in the mountains. IMHO

My dad shoots one in a 30-06 and loves it. I think he wants it buried with him. The gun has been packed many miles and killed lots of animals! Proven itself time and time again! He had a muzzle brake put on last year for my mom on her bookcliffs elk hunt and it has almost no recoil. You can watch the bullets hit in the scope.

It wasn't hard to figure up a custom load for it and all 3 bullet holes touch at 100 yds. Shoots factory ammo great but not quite as good.

You CANNOT shoot a bolt as fast, I've tried to beat him with it. He was far more accurate and tons faster.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

i shoot the remington auto in 280 cal.love the the h3ll shoot'n it,me and my 7 year old love shoot'n it.

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

I own two 7mm's. Liked the first one so well I bought a second. They are more accurate than I am. Can't recall many misses that I can blame on the BAR. Heavy they are but I've never noticed the weight, most likely a pound or so heavier but it never was a deal breaker for me.

I bought the first one because I'm a lefty and couldn't find a 7mm I liked in a left hand bolt action in 1977 when I bought the first one. (I lived a few miles from Cabelas.)

It's not a rifle I'd hunt grizzly in the rain and rust of Alaska with but for other No. American big game, it's hard to find a better rifle. I own a few bolt action as well, so I've used both over the years.

DC

I bought my BAR in "97" and it is Belgium made..338 cal with a Boss and its plenty accurate for me..I've never shot an Elk over 300 yrds and had plenty double taps with it...like shooting a .22...you do have to keep them clean..Love mine...

I had one in 280 for quite a few years. I reloaded for it and could make it shoot inch and a half groups. Like lots of things, I got bored with it and sold it to buy something else. My latest toy is a springfield armory M1A. I'm having lots of fun loading and hunting with it. Plan on shooting SD whitetail and bison with it in a month from now.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

I had a .308 for about ten years and loved it. It shot very tight groups. Most importantly, it NEVER JAMMED ONCE IN TEN YEARS. I sold it to a friend that deer hunts in PA as I moved to a 300 WSM for our west. I bought it in 1990 and sold it just a couple years ago. Nice gun, just never used it anymore.

I have a Belgium built one in .30-06. It shoots Hornady custom 165's into a neat little 3/4" group all day long. This cam afer placing a piece of laminated business card at the fore end of the stock to create a slight pressure point on the barrel, it didn't shoot real well before that.

I've hunted with it once, and killed a Cow Elk with it. It's just to pretty to take out to the woods!

2a0fcsk.gif

I have had two 300 win and a 30-06 Great Guns. But wouldn't be my gun of choice. They shoot fine enough for hunting.
What cal are you thinking? Rutnbuck

thinking of an 06,300, or 338. want one with open sights. As where we elk hunt i do not need a scope. Everything is so thick open sights would be ideal for what i need.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

I hunt the thick timber, you know the spots where 50 yards is as far as you can see in the open areas. A scope is far better in those areas than you might think. Same reason I use binos in there too, they help you see "through" or farther through the branches to help you focus on the elk foot, ear, knee or whatever to help give you a upper hand. Use optics, it helps. Give it a try before you call bs....

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I wont call bs, I did it this year. and thank god they slowed down a bit for me to get a shot at my bull. this is so thick and they run through there and with a scope i can see easily how to loose them while there running. I was just thinking open sights would be a good way to go and an auto for quick follow up shots incase of hitting a tree one the first shot. Others that hunt the area have said they have missed elk or not got a shot because of the scope and the elk running through it it was hard to get a good shot. Just a thought of mine maybe im out of line by wanting to go with open sights?

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Makes sense to me.

I know this, which ever method you believe in, will work best for you. Using a method or a system that you uncomfortable or lack confidence in, will limit your outcome.

Attitude and confidence are major factors in success.

So, I could see both methods working or failing, depending on your use of the tools and your belief that what your doing is best for the conditions your in.

DC

I had a BAR in the safari model and loved it. I agree that it is a bit too much to be packing on a mountain backpack hunt. And for that reason I sold it a couple of years ago. I wish I hadn't but at the time I thought it was the right decision. It was a 300 mag with the boss.
I would gladly buy it back. I sold it on KSL classifieds with a tasco world class scope. I always thought about changing it out but never did because it always held true. I shot fantastic groups with it. If you know who bought this gun and they want to sell it please contact me. I would love to get it back.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-11 AT 06:41AM (MST)[p]i bought my dad a belgium .300 win mag years ago. it still shoots 3/4" with his 180 noslers. that gun has put many an elk under. the thing does weigh a ton though

Not sure how true this is but it does make a little sense to me.
I was told that the performance from an automatic will decrease due to part of the spent gasses being used to work the action versus all of it being used to push the projectile down the barrel.
Guess the only way you'd find that out is to shoot two identical rounds through a chrony, one with the BAR and the other in a bolt action.

I have a Bar Safari 300 Win. Mag. It shoots great and I have killed numerous animals with it with one shot. Good thing because it sometimes doesn't jack a shell back in. Deep cleaning is a must. It weighs a ton. To heavy for pack trips

Remember this, the 1" and/or 3/4" groups are the EXCEPTION rather than the rule with this rifle.

I've seen, sold and shot dozens and never I've seen one shoot that well. I'm not saying it can't be done, just saying you should count yourself among the lucky if your rifle will do it.

With that said, the rifle does NOT need to shoot that tight of groups to be an effective elk rifle, to ranges well beyond 300 yards! It will work to perfection in the dense stuff you described and more.

All of them I've shot functioned perfectly when a bit of cleaning care is employed.

PS: I'd put a lower powered variable scope on it too, like juster_86 said. Then shoot the hell out of the elk with it.

Zeke

I've owned a BAR (7MM Mag) for about 20 years and I like it. Yes, it is heavy, but I still like it. I've kind of always been a fan of auto loaders for some reason though (also own a Remington 7400 .308). I like the reduced recoil factor, especially for the kids.

S.

:)

One of my good friends had a serious stroke last year and can no longer use his left side. He felt his hunting days were over.

We bought a Lightweight Stalker in .243, and adapted it to a tripod, that is stable and solid enough to hold the rifle alone.

He has killed 2 deer with it and can load it and aim it effectively.

The light recoil is great and it cycles flawlessly.

Obviously, he needs some help to get it set up on his deer stand, but he is still hunting and that is all that matters.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I hate mine. It is a BAR 280

I have not used it for years. AFter about 5-6 rounds it jams up. I have tired cleaning it myself and taking it to a gunsmith. I shot remmington core lokt and it was suggested I try a premium nickle shell. It is the same result. By the way it is for sale. It shoots very accurate and I am sure it is all my fault and none of the problems are because it is a crappy gun:)

RE: I hate mine. It is a BAR 280

I dont know how to post pictures. Never posted on here.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

RE: I hate mine. It is a BAR 280

I have had a 338 Safari II since about '98 and have had no troubles with it. IMO it is mechanically solid as I have never had a jam or misfire and been as accurate as any other rifle I own, the wieght is a -1 though.

I got a 300 win mag lightweight stalker in 2010 with leupold vx3 turret. First shot always hits a quarter at 100, second and third are about 2-4 inches from the first in any direction. Shot a sheep at 80 yards last year, antelope at 250 this year and a mule deer at 350 yesterday. All were one shot kills. I'm still waiting for the right time to let all four shots fly.

The action did freeze in 10 below on the sheep hunt. It was a make the first shot count situation. No problem with rain or dust.

It is a fun gun and I think it has less recoil. It took forever to special order it from cabelas (4 months). Try to buy one that is already on the shelf, or order it now for next year.

I have a .270 Safari with the boss. I absolutely love it! Should I ever want another big game rifle, Id look to a BAR first. Only bad thing is if you use the boss, it is one loud SOB.

I have a 7mm BAR without a BOSS & love it! To lighten it up I put a set of Bell & Carlson composite stock & forearm on it & it's GTG!!! I had a bolt action with a BOSS on it & sold it...... Way too loud!!!!!

I recieved a Browning bar 30 06 w/ a leopold 3 x 9 scope on it when i was 15 from my dad. Shot it for years on everything from jack rabbits in the desert to elk in the mountains. My son now shoots it. One thing to make sure of . If you try and close the bolt quitely ,it may not close all of the way. So makesure it is all of the way closed and keep it oiled. That is the only problem my son has had. I never let him hike with a round in the camber. So when he would get on a elk he would chamber a round and not let it close all of the way. Not really a problem with the gun ,but it can happen.
Love the gun, no recoil pad on it even . Its a lite kicker. My brother in law has a 338 win mag bar and loves it aswell. My dad is left handed and we (his boys) are normal lol. So that why he buys bars so he can hand them down to us. His has five bars in 30 06 ,7mm ,300 win and a few others that have never been shot.

i had one in .270WSM. +1 on the heavy comments. it was great for 300yards and under. group started opening up at 400. Replaced it with an A bolt and will never look back. the autoloader is nice. but ill take 200 yards in increased range any day. also the bolt thing...not closing all the way and then not going off bit us. loaned it to someone that pulled the trigger on a 26in muley w/ double drop tines and it didnt go off. never saw that buck again...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom