BROWNINGS "BOSS"???

MULEYSTALKER

HEY I WAS JUST WONERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE BOSS BROWNING OFFERS ON RIFLES AND IF IT REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE IN RECOIL REDUCTIONA AND ACCURACY. I'M LOOKING INTO BUYING A BROWNING ABOLT MEDALLION RIFLE IN EITHER 7MM WSM OR 300 WSM AND WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD GET ONE WITH A BOSS ON IT OR NOT I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY INFO THANKS GUYS,

MULEYSTALKER

my dad has a winchester in .270 with a boss. recoil is about as much as a .243, but the noise increase is pretty severe. the gun will put as many rounds as you care to shoot in 3/4" at 100 yards. don't know if it's accurate because of the boss, or if the boss just fine tuned a gun that was accurate to begin with.

If you can find someone with the Browning Boss or any other muzzel brake rifle, see if the person will allow you shoot it. I am willing to bet that after it rings your ear, you will reconsider having a muzzle brake on a rifle. I only recommend them to persons that have problems with severe recoil and need to tame the recoil down in order to get rid of a flinch when they shoot.
RELH

i have one on a model 70 winchester .300 mag. i like it ok. takes a lot of shooting to get the boss tuned in. it does tame the recoil down a lot. just has a solid rubber buttpad, and it's pretty mild to shoot. the noise is rough. always use hearing protection when i'm at the range anyway. don't notice it too much when hunting. i've shot at coyotes when i was close to a pickup, and it was a bad experience. really magnifys the noise, bouncing the echo of the sheetmetal. and never shoot one over the hood!

I have the BOSS on a Browning BAR 7mm Rem. Mag. Once I found the sweet spot on the BOSS the rifle has become very accurate. The recoil is almost nothing. The muzzle brake is louder than any other brake I've ever been around.

DON'T DO IT! I have one on my .300 Winny. Want to buy it? It shoots great, doesn't kick much, but is too loud. I hear it even in the field. My ears rang for three days after my new mexico mule deer hunt 2 years ago. and I was as far out in the open as can be.

If you're worried about recoil, put a decelerator recoil pad on it, and get a 71/2 lb or heavier rifle. The 7WSM shouldn't kick that bad to begin with.

But remember, shoulder bruises will heal. Your ear drums may not.

WH

Follow everyones advice and don't get the BOSS with the muzzle break. I shot a hog 2 weeks ago with my buddies 300 mag, and my hearing is just now getting better. If you want the BOSS, you can get it without the muzzle break. It still allows you to dial in you groups, without loosing your hearing.

Mel

I hate my B.O.S.S.! It is pretty good for accuracy and recoil but the noise level makes all of that secondary. Without using ear plugs, on average, it takes me 3-5 days to get my hearing back after shooting my BAR 300 win mag with the B.O.S.S.. To me it isnt worth it. You can, however, get a B.O.S.S. without the holes drilled in it, which reduces the blast. Before they came out with the one without holes, I had a machinist friend make me one and it works pretty good.
Eric

I agree with the others. DON'T DO IT. I have the boss on a 7MM Mag and it really does decrease the recoil, but the noise is unbearable. I hate shooting it even out in the open. Like the others said, It does take a day or two for your ears to quit ringing. I need to do away with mine. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to do away with the noise?
a*r

Anyone have
>any suggestions as to the
>best way to do away
>with the noise?
>a*r

not sure if it's still available or not, but you could order something called the boss-cr, cr meaning conventional recoil. you can still tune the barrel, it just doesn't have the porting. check with winchester or browning if they still have them.

Do you want to sell your BAR 300 Win Boss? I am in the market. If yes then how much? Please reply one way or the other.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-04 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]Here is my two cents (plus another buck or two). I have a Browning A-Blot II Stainless Stalker with the Boss in 300 WSM. I have over 33 years of shooting experience. I am an Analyst by profession, but I work for Bass Pro Shops (just my fun job) as well. All the new Boss equipped rifles from Browning come with both the ported Boss and a Conventional Recoil Boss component. You can choose to shoot either the brake or the conventional recoil (without the excess noise). Both will allow you to tune your rifle to the bullet you choose to shoot.

As for the excess noise, there are several brands of amplified hearing protection on the market today that have an electronic cut off for noise that exceeeds a specified limit, usually about 85 db. Some hunters are wearing these to enhance their ability to hear. You can also use these devices to protect your hearing in the field, while still being able to hear approaching game, or your partner screaming in agony when he steps into a gopher hole and snaps his ankle. Just remember, if you are hunting with a guide, bring him a set to use as he may not own his own and won't appreciate the deafening effect of the Boss.

As to recoil management, the Boss makes the 300 WSM a pleasure to shoot. As to optimising accuracy, well, just how much work are you willing to do? There are published charts that may or may not include the round you choose to shoot. Even if the chart has your round, that was the sweet spot for a rifle someone else tested, using ammunition with a different lot number. Just as any two like riles will shoot the same round differently, any two Boss equipped rifles may shoot the same round differently. You have to do some work at the bench.

If you have a starting point listed for your round, you have somewhere to begin. With that starting point, you need to shoot a fouling shot, then two 3 or 5 shot groups; the clean the barrel, turn the boss up or down a little (1/10 to 1/4 turn)and shoot another fouling shot followed by two more 3 or 5 shot groups. Keep adjusting in one direction until you see the groups either tighten and then spread again, or if the shot groups immediately increases to an unacceptable level, switch directions and start over.

The one indepth test I have read was for one individual testing a 30 06, for one bullet type, hand loaded to his own specifications. He did a complete test of the setting from 0 to 9, in 1/4 turn increments. He shot 100 rounds a week for 5 weeks, followed by retesting the most promising settings. He came up with three sweet spots that produced shot groups under an inch at 100 yards. Obviously almost no one will put that ammount of effort, time or money into finding their sweet spot.

I spoke directly with technicians at Browning. From what I can tell, you will usually find a sweet spot at either end of the settings, somewhere between 1 and 3, and 7 and 9. Obviously, some rifles will settle in the mid-range, some will only group at one end or the other, or produce good results at various points along the scale. Given that the function of the Boss provides a dampening effect of the vibration in the barrel as the bullet travels up the bore, and these vibrations are sinusoidal in nature, each individual rifle and bullet combination will produce different results. But, instead of having to buy several different boxes of ammunition and picking the one that groups best, the Boss allows you to pick the specific bullet you want to shoot and tailor the rifle to the ammunition. Try the listed sweet spot, or try 1, 3, 7 and 9. If any one of those spots produce a shot group under 1 1/2 inches, you don't really need to go any further for normal hunting distances.

To sum it all up, the 300 WSM is a great choice for a big game rifle. Shoot what you want, protect your ears, regardless of whether you choose to shoot the Boss or not, pick the ammunition you shoot based on the game you hunt and the preformance you want out of the bullet. Spend a little time at the bench and find a sweet spot that allows you to group your shots at a level that is acceptable (generally 1 1/2 inches or better) and enjoy.

I feel opposite than most about the boss I have the boss on my 338 and it acctually doesen't bother me in the field ya my ear will still ring but I don't notice the difference between that and my 300 win mag that doesen't have any porting, maybe I'm just going def.

Jake

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom