Bugling?

idabigbuck

I was fortunate enough to draw a cow tag for the upcoming season. I am heading up to my usual elk hunting area to do some scouting this weekend. The bonus is, I am taking my wife with me for the first time ever. She would love to hear them bugling and talking back and forth. Has anyone heard any elk communication yet? Heading to unit 39.

I haven't heard a bugle yet this year, opening day I watched through the spotter as my buddy snuck into 70 yards of a bachelor group of 5 points. They didn't even look up when he called. Then this last weekend I hunted Fri, Sat and Sun, didn't hear a bugle. We saw a few cows and had one 5x5 come in silent. But our spots aren't loaded with elk.

I know some guys that got a few bugling in the Smoky Zone this weekend. It's all about if the cows in your specific drainage are going into estrus the day your there, imo.

Bugling in unit 59 in the early morning of Labor Day.
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

have heard a few in 31 they are NOT fired up yet thought last weekend they would bust loose Not any of the places I went talked to a few other hunters they all had the same story one guy got in on 6 bulls not one of them had any interest in the cow calls maybe this weekend Last year opening weekend they were LIT UP

The last time I had this tag they were screaming and making a fuss even the 1st week of October. It should be fun! But getting away from town and into the mountains is always awesome! Good luck everyone!

Southeast Idaho

Had a bull bugle a few times on 09/03. Came by me with 6-8 cows but just a little too far. Nothing since then. Was seeing a few elk those first few days but once these frosts started happening, all the activity just seemed to die.

Well my wife and I did a pretty tough hike and covered a lot of ground and didn't see or hear an elk. Kind of disappointing but thats how it goes sometimes. We didn't even see any fresh sign. This area usually holds elk. We talked to some folks that saw some on the next ridge over up near Jennie lake. I hope to get another scouting trip in before the season starts. Anyone else get in any scouting?

>Well my wife and I did
>a pretty tough hike and
>covered a lot of ground
>and didn't see or hear
>an elk. Kind of disappointing
>but thats how it goes
>sometimes. We didn't even see
>any fresh sign. This area
>usually holds elk. We talked
>to some folks that saw
>some on the next ridge
>over up near Jennie lake.
>I hope to get another
>scouting trip in before the
>season starts. Anyone else get
>in any scouting?

They move around a lot these days in my experience. After 5 full days in units 43, 33 and 35, we haven't heard a single bugle. Not even a cow call. We have gotten into elk everyday, and have had 3 bulls come in completely silent. Crazy how it varies from area to area.

Keep at it, bring a bugle with you, never know when they might light up.

I went back up to unit 31 yesterday and today thinking with this cool weather the rut would be in full swing but I was wrong! Saw 8 bulls, 4 6 pointers in one group and 4 small bulls in the other group. Nothing was talking except the small bulls were mewing to each other. No bugling. No bulls herding up with the cows. I was kind of surprised. I did find a huge 9 point shed antler though, biggest Ive ever found by far so that was cool. Well Ill try it again next week. And maybe the week after. Hopefully they get into it here before too long...

Thought I would kick this one back up to the top just to see what everyone else is hearing.

I have been in Southern Idaho since the beginning of the season and it is quiet. Real quiet.

I am hearing some in the twighlight (maybe a bugle or two). I am actually seeing a few elk. But they do not seem to be screaming or tearing it up like other years.

I am heading back up this weekend and my hunt starts on Monday. The last time I had this tag they were bugling strong the first week in October. I have the whole month of October to fill my tag so I'm looking forward to some time in the woods!

I was back up in unit 31 over the weekend and saw plenty of bulls and cows but no bugling at all. Saw some mature bulls still hanging out together. Saw a herd of 12 cows with 2 mature bulls with them. saw a number of little bunches of lone cows from singles on up to 3 without bulls. I don't know what to think. I ended up getting a 5 point but I didn't call him in, just a luck shot is all it was. I cow called at some lone bulls that were bedded together and all they would do is look my way and go back to doing what they were doing, no interest at all. Dang things anyway.

Weirdest I have seen. Elk all seem to be together and moving little. No bulls alone tearing things up. Very few bugles and only in twilight.

Nothing is the same every year, that is for sure. To much clear weather with no cloud cover is what I think it has a lot to do with. Plus it is warm.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom