Bullet Performance video Federal Premium

Boskee

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-08 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-08 AT 10:29?AM (MST)

Federal has taken the time to make a great video that demonstrates 4 different bullets performance in 3 different ballistic gel mediums that should be informative to those of you wondering what bullet to choose. Even those that know which bullet they like will be impressed with the photography and the wound channel. The video is very informative. go to http://www.federalpremium.com to view it. It's on the main page under one of the changing pictures and shows a trophy bonded tip bullet just click on link to view.

It's probably one of the best video's that actually simulates hunting conditions and bullet performance out there. It's nice to see a munitions company make something like this showing why they make ammunition with all those different bullets and actually explain why.

That was a great vid. All the bullets did what they were basically designed to, except the ballistic tip in the last test outperformed their expectations, mostly I think because it struck the bone at its thinnest point. The Barnes looked really good, the wound channels were the pretty much the same no matter the test.

Yes that was an interesting video. The Nosler Ballistic Tip often gets a bad rap for lack of penetration and coming apart, but it sure performed in this test.

BTs deserve that rep. Note they shot only at 2800 fps (and the Barnes still passed through! not an asset IMHO). Interesting.

I'm one that always wants an exit so I have to disagree. I think the Barnes did exactly what I want to have happen.

Many like that in a bullet. I have had better performance from a bullet that expends all its energy in the critter rather than on the hill behind it. There is a good argument that says two holes leave twice the blood trail. But, what I have seen happen is that a bullet that retains all its weight leaves an exit hole just a little bigger than its entrance hole. The hide then folds over the exit hole limiting your trail. Still, better to have a bullet that is too stout than one not stout enough.

I would be interested to see how a nosler partition would do in that same test. What do you think?

Chris,

Thanks for the link to the info. I hear the 180 Ballistic Tip has thicker jackets than the 165, so they should do well also.

I vote for the exit hole for the better blood trail if the critter runs after impact.

Doug~RR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom