BURNIN A BARREL OUT???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
I don't Tamp/Compress Powder like REDDOG does!

But when I was Younger Me & a couple Friends Toasted a few Barrels on .22's!

Mostly RUGERS with High Capacity Magazines & one Tommy Gun!

STINGERS were Quite a bit Hotter & Burnt out Barrels Proved it!:D

Just wondering Who Has Toasted a Barrel or two?

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

Nope, can't say as I've every melted one down. Got friends that say they have. Sounds like fun!

DC

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-15 AT 10:25PM (MST)[p]Roasted? As in, abused by repetedly shooting them when they're too hot? NO

I have used the Hell out of 2 different 22-250's and one triple deuce. It took several thousand rounds for the 22-250's and over 10,000 for the 222. The "250's" are both long gone but I still have the 222 which is in need of a new tube.

By far, more rifles are "shot out" from pizz poor cleaning practices!!!!!

Throats will erode with every shot. Some take more use and some will take less. Lots depends on barrel temp and powder amounts.

My 2 cents,
Zeke

I learned to hand load while I was still young enough to make a few mistakes. I was guilty of overheating a few barrels in the scorching Northern California sun because I just couldn't stop shooting. I consider a barrel toasted when accuracy starts to slip. I currently have a 300 Ultra with 3500 down the tube. The throat looks rough through the bore scope but it still shoots really good.

I had a super accurate custom 7MM STW that started losing accuracy after only 1500 rounds with no over heating and good cleaning practices. I gave the gun to my stepdad who seldom shoots and he has made it last for years. It still shoots 160 Partitions into about an inch.

I have a 25-06 Ackley that I load hot. It has over 2000 rounds through it and the throat of the Douglas barrel barely shows any wear. ----------SS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom