buying a used bow

jr8fish

I am new to archery. I am the noob of noobs. I have been rifle hunting for more than 15 years and I am excited to get into big game(mule deer and elk) archery hunting. I am thinking about buying a used bow but was wondering if that is generally advisable? Are there bow manufactures out there that have a transferable warranty? What do I need to look out for if I do go the used route? Obviously, I know I need to find a bow that fits me but are there particular components that wear easily that I should check out before I make a used purchase?
Do I worry about buying a potentially stolen bow? I basically have no idea where to start.. How do I know a deal when I see one?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would head to your local archery shop and get measured for your draw length first and foremost. There is NO point in buying a bow that is the wrong size (draw length) for you then having to put more money into it for cams and string.
I would hold a few of the bows and see what fits best in your hands... I personally shoot a Hoyt but Matthews, Prime and PSE all make great bows for deer and elk and you wont go wrong with any of them as it is all personal preference to the shooter.

Also before you buy the bow from a classified online posting, I would get permission to take the bow to the local archery shop to have them look at it. Just to make sure it is able to be tuned up and that the bow will not cost more than its worth for getting it ready for shooting.

Also stick with the local archery shops as they seem to have better customer service then the box store archery places...

Tallbuck1

TAILBUCK.......GIVES GOOD ADVICE. I WAS JUST IN YOUR SHOES AND BOUGHT MY FIRST BOW. ITS HARD TO KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE IF YOU BUY A USED BOW....TOO MANY CONCERNS TO BE DEALT WITH. FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE YOU COULD HAVE A NEW BOW & GET A LOT OF YEARS OUT OF IT. IF YOU BUY YOUR BOW AT YOUR LOCAL BOW SHOP THEIR ADVICE & LABOR WILL BE FREE....AS IS MY SITUATION. I DID NOT BUY A TOP OF THE LINE BOW, BUT I DO LOVE MY HOYT RAMPAGE XT. GOOD LUCK...........YD.

gr8fish

Speaking of a used bow.......... I PM'd you. Respond if you want.

Zeke

buying a used bow can pay off in the long run. I've bought new and used in the past and both have advantages. If you do your research(look at websites, online pricing, ect) you will be able to get an idea of how much a bow typically runs price wise. After some research and shooting a few bows you'll be able to narrow down a good deal. There is always great deals on KSL and other classifieds. If you do your homework you usually can get a steal on a sweet barely used bow.

Elite Archery is the only bow that I know that has a transferrable lifetime warrantee. I don't shoot one (Mathews for me) but have a friend that is a big fan of them. You can typically find used ones for a good deal. Make sure you know your draw length and weight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom