Buying handgun from 3rd party

Gorilla

I am thinking of buying a hand gun advertised on KSL.com. What is the process to make sure I am not buying a stolen gun and how do I register it in my name after the sale?

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-10 AT 01:54PM (MST)[p]There is no firearm registration in utah(some liberal states have registration requirements). People have misconceived notions that filling out a form 4473 is a registration. It is not. That paperwork stays on file with the ffl holder(I am one). The only paperwork that goes to the ATF is a multiple handgun purchase form, if you buy more than one handgun from the same dealer in one week you must fill out that form and it gets faxed or mailed to the ATF. Of course the ATF can check that dealers logbook and 4473 forms at any time without warrant.

Sometimes a dealer will get a call from the ATF to do a firearm trace if that gun was used in a crime. It goes like this: gun was recovered by police in a crime, ATF calls manufacturer with serial #, manufacturer tells ATF what distributor that gun went to, distributor tells ATF what dealer that gun went to, ATF checks with dealer to see who the gun was sold to. If you were the original purchaser of that gun and later sold it to a private party you better have record of that transaction.

The way to check if that handgun is stolen is to call your local police dept. and have them run the serial #. Guns can be stolen and not on record as such. That is why it's a good idea to write down the serial # of all your guns incase they do get stolen. Without that serial # you can't track your gun, of course if you know which dealer it came from you can find the serial # in their logbook.

I've had a couple crazy encounters buying and selling on KSL. Don't buy or sell a gun to a private party without documenting their ID and getting a bill of sale stating they are legally eligible to buy and own that gun. Also it is illegal to buy or sell a gun as a private purchase to a non-resident. It must go through an ffl for an out of state sale.

no problem, I hope it helps. Nothing wrong with buying from a private person. Just be smart about it and CYA.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom