Buying hunting land

Bikes

Can you buy land in SW Colorado and count on getting a deer and elk tag every year? Such as area 711 or 71. I see they have land owner tags. How much land do you need? THANKS

Yes!

You would need at least 160 acres to apply for a landowner tag. But that does not gurantee you of a tag, just that you can put in to the special landowner drawing. You would have to check the stats in those particular units. They allot up to 15% of the tags for landowners.

In 71 and 711, there are a LOT of OTC elk tags. either sex archery tags are OTC. And 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons are also OTC on bull elk, cow by drawing. That still leaves muzzleloading and first rifle as drawing. All deer are by drawing.

Now back to the first question. That is a qualified yes. Buying 160 acres is no gurantee of tags, and you sure can't count on getting an animal on those 160 acres. Elk and deer are where they are "at the moment". Much depends on what kind of land you have and much depends on the weather. Land at 10,000 ft will hold animals early, but may be devoid of them once the snow flies. Low land may have some year round or only after the snow flies. The only land that would have a good chance of holding animals through all seasons would probably be land with crops (alfalfa, etc.) And it would depend on what else was around it to hold the game.

It is certainly not the same as some midwest areas where you can own 20 acres and get a buck off it every year, just doesn't happen that way with elk and deer, they are too migratory. You spook them, and they are liable to run several miles and not come back anytime soon.

A couple of years ago, I had a friend with some money who was looking for a ranch where he could get an elk every year. I helped him look and what I came up with was it took in the neighborhood of $4 million to buy such a ranch (and that was 5 years ago, it would certainly be more now). Made me think: If I had that much money, would I buy such a ranch? I might, but that same money in the bank even earning 5% would bring in $200,000 per year! Me and 20 of my best friends could go on a heck of a hunt every year for that much money!

So if you got the bucks, you can get some bucks.....and bulls, but even buying 160 acres is risky if that is what you are after.

Not sure if I have answered what you are really asking. So, I will end by just telling you what I did. Bought 3 acres 1 mile from the national forest where I will build a cabin. That is in unit 71. Can't get landowner tags that way, but there is plenty of hunting opportunity without them.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for your detailed answer. It does not make sense if land prices are that high. What price range have larger parcels gone for in 71?

my first thought is you can buy a truck load of vouchers for what you will spend on a 160 acres and maybe only get one tag every other year. You won't get elk vouchers i don't believe in those units. Then if they do away with the system you have 160 acres. If you were going to move to CO already then maybe its a different story. I have clients want to do the same thing every year and after they look into it none of them have bought land. If you did buy 160 acres try and get something with irrigation water it will really help.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

One other suggestion is to buy acreage that controls access or gives you access that you would not normally have. I am not familiar with those areas so I don't know if that would be possible. I knew an outfitter that bought a place that was I beleive 80 acres but controlled access to a five mile road up through BLM. A great deal for him!

You have to be familiar with an area to pull that off...

Luckyhunter offers good advice. Buying a small parcel on the edge of significant federal land would be more worthwhile, especially if you controlled some access. Deer and elk have comparatively large ranges. You'd need a significant piece of country to ensure success year after year, and those types of properties are outlandishly expensive.

Yep, it would not surprise me if that 80 acres would be worth a million dollars if it really controls access. However, finding a parcel like that that is even for sale is difficult. People don't want to part with them. Worth a shot though.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

we got a cabin in montana on the breaks we are going to sell it's got 80 acres and a self sustained water and elect.Only prob is I don't know about landowner permits.

I would start with a Land Use map or surface rights and find the little square sections of private property. Many of the old homesteads weren't very large and of course they sat down on the bottom of a canyon. Sometimes the owners die off and if you find out who inherited the property and if they are interested in selling you might get a good deal. The local ranchers seem to snatch these small parcells up because they know who owned the property and can add to their own holdings. Like I said the more familiar you are with an area the better.

Buying property may also get you access through other private property...

I beleive you would have to go to the county courthouse to get the records. You would also need some time!

I don't have the time or money but once had an opportunity I wish I would have pursued.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom