Buying new boots, whats your opinion on these choices?

Brambles

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-08 AT 09:59AM (MST)[p]I'm retiring my Kayland super trek mountaineering boots, they will be placed in storage for a backup pair, they have treated me well and still have good life left in them but its time for a change I think.

I have narrowed my choices down to three, and from here its a tough decision because they are all reputable boots.

1.) Lowa Hunter GTX (aka Sheephunter)from Schnee's
2.) Hanwag Alaska GTX
3.) Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400

They are all pretty close in pricing so thats not an issue

Anyone care to comment on these boots and how they find the sizings ie: do they fit bit, small, narrow, wide etc.

I will be using them for all my hunting from Aug 1 to Dec 10th and will include Goat, Sheep, highcountry mule deer. As well as walking on dirt Forest service roads.

Thanks

Brambles

A brand that no one hear seems to know about is - LIMMER. I have used a pair for twenty plus years hunting. Yes, 20 plus years in the mountains, side hilling etc. These boots look new. They will out live me.

These boots are used or built for mountaineering (sp)and come out of Germany. Can't say enough good things about them. I have tried and gone through many of the brands you guys talk about on this site and while many of the brands and models are very good NONE hold up and are built like a Limmer.

Brambles,

I have owned several pair of Meindl's, and would highly recomend them. I think the next time around, I may look at the Kenetrek's I have heard really good things about them.

Goat

I bought a pair of Kenetreks, uninsulated, mountain extremes this past summer, used them extensively during fall 07. Bottom line is I like them alot. Probably the best boot I have had to date. They stayed dry, are very comfortable, and lightweight.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-08 AT 11:52PM (MST)[p]Why are you going away from the Kaylands? I don't have much time in them but have heard very good things from those that do. I know a couple of Ranier guides that swear by them. The new line at Outdoor Retailer looked great.

The three boots you mentioned, are all top notch boots. Hard to pick one at that level. Good luck.

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

>LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-08
>AT 11:52?PM (MST)

>
>Why are you going away from
>the Kaylands? I don't
>have much time in them
>but have heard very good
>things from those that do.
> I know a couple
>of Ranier guides that swear
>by them. The new
>line at Outdoor Retailer looked
>great.
>
>The three boots you mentioned, are
>all top notch boots.
>Hard to pick one at
>that level. Good luck.
>
>
>Wade Nelson
>Editor
>HardcoreOutdoor.com

They are great boots, hold up very well, but each pair I've had seemed to have their own quirk. The first pair would apply pressure to the top of my right foot in a way that would put it to sleep if you stayed motionless for any period of time, never had this problem with any other boot but that one. These are all leather ones and now squeek, the inners were all swede and over the years the insides have started to rot apart, keep in mind these boots lasted the better part of 10 years and were used A LOT

The second set seemed like the footbeds were dished and felt like my foot was breaking in half, I installed some birkenstock footbeds to "unload" my foot. After 2 year they have developed a squeek, nothing too serious but still something that I'm concious of. These are synthetic Super trek eVent and are very light and stiff boot, keep the water out very well. I do like them alot and will still use them as a backup pair.

Havent seen the new kayland line, I have nothing against kayland will still use them in the future but I want to see what else is out there and in a more hunting oriented boot.
The reviews on these 3 boots say that they are the most comfortable boots guys have tried, this is probably the main reason I want to try new boots, I want something that goes unnoticed on the feet. Probably never happen.

Choosing the "best" gear has been an obsession with me for a long time but there are two areas that there are just too many good products available to choose any one "best" piece and that is packs and boots, especially boots. I can make a strong argument about the best sleeping bag or stove or shell jacket but boots and packs are very tough because they are so specific to the individual. Matching the right product with a particular body type is a very tall order for any non-custom manufacturer.

Since you liked the Kaylands and they have such a solid mountaineering pedigree you might also consider Raichle and Scarpa. I also like the White's custom boots.

My bet is you end up wearing something from Lowa.

Please let me know what you decide and thanks for the inforamtaion. Good luck and take care.

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have worn Lowa Sheep Hunters for
the past 3 years and love them,
My next pair will be the noninsulated
Kenetreks, they are much lighter and
I would rather wear sock systems then
have built in insulation.

Just my 2 cents!

That facinates me. Why switch if the Kenes have been so good to you? My opinion is, you can go too light. If you are humping long distances and/or heavy loads you need a sturdy boot with a good shank. The military has proven that over and over. Example, the Danner Pronghorn. I love the boot for fast and light trips and I know it has a lot of fans on this forum but I think it is too light for heavy duty/extended trips.

When you say sock systems, I assume you mean a liner and a heavier outer sock. I was happy to get away from the two sock system when the Smartwools came out. The Wigwam wool outer and Mohave polypro liner always seemed sloppy and squishy to me. I have not worn two socks on one foot for almost ten years. Desert floor to mountain peaks, I just vary the thickness of the one sock. I still like 200 to 400 grams of Thinsulate insulation in my boots. By the way, Primaloft, a superior insulation, is starting to take some business away from Thinsulate. I am seeing more and more boots switch to Primaloft. I think that is a good thing.

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

I have the Hanwag Mountain Light and they are a great boot. I would highly recommend them. I purchased them through Lathrop & Sons and had a custom foot sole made and they fit perfect. I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-08 AT 06:38PM (MST)[p]>>
>Since you liked the Kaylands and
>they have such a solid
>mountaineering pedigree you might also
>consider Raichle and Scarpa.
>I also like the White's
>custom boots.
>
>My bet is you end up
>wearing something from Lowa.
>
>Please let me know what you
>decide and thanks for the
>inforamtaion. Good luck and take
>care.
>
>Wade Nelson
>Editor
>HardcoreOutdoor.com

I see you mentioned the Scarpa boots, do you have any experience with the Scarpa Liskamm, it is a great looking boot. I am debating between the Meindl Alaska hunter, Lowa Sheep hunter and the Scarpa.

Coon

47d3383717503a0b.jpg

Absolutely, in fact I have a picture of that Scarpa boot on my site from the Outdoor Retailer show in January. Great boot! The Lowa, Scarpa and Meindl boots you are considering are all top notch boots from top notch makers. It is going to have to boil down to fit and height for you. At that level it is all about fitting your feet. I own all three and they are all fantastic. Personally, the Meindl sole feels a little hard to me, the Lowa is a 10 inch version of the Tibet GTX which is what I have, I prefer 8 inchers. If I had to pick between the three, I guess I would lean towards the Scarpa.

Again, you need to find a good mountaineering shop and put them all on but don't make the mistake of getting them too small.

Good luck, please let me know what you end up getting.

Wade
www.hardcoreoutdoor.com

The Mountain Extreme from Kenetrek is going to be hard to beat. For what you want to use them for you won't be sorry. Out of the box you will be able to use them with little or no break in period. They are an awesome boot- second to none! Good luck and good hunting!

>I have the Hanwag Mountain Light
>and they are a great
>boot. I would highly recommend
>them. I purchased them through
>Lathrop & Sons and had
>a custom foot sole made
>and they fit perfect. I
>don't think you could go
>wrong with any of your
>choices.

I just talked to one of the Lathrop sons this week. They are awsome, I spent an hour on the phone talking hunting, these guys are fanatics just like us. It is run by the father and 2 sons and they are all podiatrists with the boot business on the side. I just about have myself talked into the $550 for the Hanwag Alaska boots.

Coon

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom