Cabela's Alaska Hunter boots by Meindl

MULEYSTALKER

I was wondering if these boots are sturdy enough for backpack hunting in steep terrain with +50 Lb. pack. If not what other boot that cabelas carry's would be good. I have a gift card and want some good boots. I really would like some Lowa's or kenetreks but cabela's doesn't carry them. I appreciate any help thanks

Last year I purchased a pair of the Cabelas Mountain Hunters (non-insulated) and used them on an Alaskan Sheep hunting trip. They worked fine and have plenty of miles left on them.

I also have a pair of the 400 gram thinsulate ones that work just fine in cold weather also.

i have the meindle alaska hunters. they are a nice boot. but i will tell you for a couple weeks they are like walking in ski boots! i've been told that the other meindles are no break in time. after that was over they are a really well built boot. if you could try a pair on you'll see what i'm talking about. i'm not 100% sold on them being the best boot but i have never found the best boot yet so the alaska hunter is about as good as anything else i've tried.

Not the exact same boot but I have the Cabelas Denali Hunter from Meindl. I got it a couple years ago and did a DIY backpack hunt into the Eagle Cap wilderness here in Oregon. The boots sure worked fine for me - carried a pack that was right at 50lbs going in and never had a problem. One thing though I noticed about the Meindls - they seem to run really big so see if you can try a couple of pair on. I usually get a 10 1/2 or 11 in boots and i think my Meindls ended up being like a 9 1/2 or so and are plenty big. Heck of a boot though.
Good luck

I have both the Alaska Hunters and the Perfekt Hunters by Meindl. Do yourself a favor and go with the Perfekt Hunters. They are more comfortable and are warmer. Both have plenty of support.

Thanks for the info guys i appreciate it. I still haven't decided on what boots i'm getting. I want to take time and find the most supportive and comfortable boots i can afford. I had 2 ankle surgeries last year one on each ankle and need extra support. There is just too many boots out there. I'm going to go try on all the boots you recommended and see what i like. thanks

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-09 AT 09:54PM (MST)[p]If you need more ankle support, then the Alaskans are probably the ones to try. They are more rigid, which is why people talk about them not being as comfortable and taking longer to break in, but that sounds like what you need.

The Mendles as a group certainly deserve a look because they are quality boots. I have the Denalis too and like them. I packed out a front and rear quarter of an elk in one trip in very steep terrain with mine and they held up well.. you would probably be hard pressed to find a better boot brand at Cabelas. Of course, the best thing is to find a Cabelas store and go and try them on. However, if you luck runs like mine, they won't have the style or your size. Otherwise, order the size you think you need, and don't settle for anything but a great fit. You have plenty of time to send them back once or twice and still get them broken in before next fall.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom