cabelas euro's or vortex razors?

peak

What would you get and why? I'm looking at purchasing one of these and opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

I have the cabelas euro's and really like them. They are very clear and gather a lot of light. If you live close to cabelas, their warranty is great cause they just give you a new pair right there. I have not looked through the vortex so i can not comment on them. I have a couple fo their spotters and think they are great for the price. Hope that helps.

WITHOUT A DOUBT, I'd go for the Cabela's Euro. They are essentially Meopta binoculars, very similar to the much older Swarovski SLC (a cheaper version). The optical performance is better than Vortex and they are much more durable, with better mechanics and materials. During my testing, I've had issues with the Razor's durability and construction.

I've owned both, and to me, the Cabela's Euro's are in another class than the Vortex Razor's. Not sure what it is with the Razor's, but they've never impressed me. The view to me is like looking down two long barrels and seems real constricted and not very bright (both pair I've tried gave the same feeling). In the Vortex line, I actually prefer the Viper's over the Razor's.

Give the Leupy GR HD a try. World class glass, warranty, and at $599 after rebate they are a steal. I loved the Meopta/Cabelas Euro also, but the thin eyecups were a real distraction for me.

I faced the same decision a while back and went with the Meopta, which are essentially the same as the Cabela's Euro. I haven't had any regrets and love my Meopta's. I have the 10x42.

Well I was just about set on the euro's. then I called cabelas, the warranty blows. limited lifetime on craftsmanship, my $250 nikons have a better warranty than that. i am pretty disappointed.

your going to be around the $1000 range with euros might as well spend a few more $$ & get some swaros I keep hearing nothing but good reports also on the Zen Rays

I assume you'll be looking before buying. Hopefully you can view them side by side. Other similarly priced glass along with those two might surprise you as well. It is not just the image, but the eye relief, and general fit of the binocular. I was sure I was going to buy some Liecas a couple of months ago, walking into Cabelas. Looked at a couple of models, a couple of models of Swarovski, the Euros, and Leupolds. Nothing wrong with any of that glass, but ended up getting the Swarovski ELs. Just the best glass for me. Get them in hand and compare.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-10 AT 12:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-10 AT 12:13?PM (MST)

Ok here's the thing!!
You already know you need some great optics don't sell your self short. You still have some time before the season starts. Do what you can to buy the big 3 brands. For some of us it will be a long time before we buy some more optics. I was in the same boat, Brother!
My suggestion to you is wait and take your time this a big decision and a very big investment!
I was never an optics guy. I thought I was top dog with my Bushnell Elites. Well I was proven wrong last November when my buddy lent me his old pair of Leicas. MAN!!! What an eye opener!!
Take the time and go to Camerland's website and go to their Demo/List you can find a great pair of optics plus there is no tax or shipping!
I just ordered a pair of Swaro SLC from authorizedoptics.com because I got a great deal from them on a new pair and I was just like you a couple of months ago looking at Meoptas, Euros, and others.
Good luck and listen carefully to all of the advice MM members are given you because this is an investment not purchase. Just look at the prices in the classifieds of the big 3 brands. They just don't loose their value and notice that regardless of the condition, they where sold practically for what they were asking!! That says a lot!!
So consider your purchase a little more because when I Googled Meopta Meostars I found that Wal-Mart also sells them and from that point on I said to myself Heck No!!! I am not droppin that much dime on a Wally world item which also means Meopta's dealer selection criteria is not the best. But don't get me wrong their clarity is nice but they don't hold their value and most people have never heard of the brand!
Choose carefully my friend and listen to all the great advice your getting !!!!

OJ

I agree completely with those that say if you are spending $1000 or so you should not go without SERIOUSLY compare them with the big three they are significantly more but they may be significantly better for your purpose.

The jump from $1000 to $1500 is not as bad for someone willing to pay $1000 already so unless you are already stretching the budget too much I would consider all the best brands.

Bill

OJ - so you don't like the Meopta because Wal Mart sells them? Wow! Hell of a reason to not purchase! I haven't heard this one before - to base quality and a company based on who sells their products.

That's not the whole decision but would you buy Ferrari at Wal-Mart from a clerk that probably is not properly trained on such a high quality item?

when purchasing or investing in something even the smallest details make a difference!!

$1000 DOLLARS FOR Euro's? I just bought some from Cabela's for $699. I owned a pair of Swarovski SLC's, go compare for yourself and you will see there is not enough difference to spend the extra money on SLC's. Yes the SLC's are a little better, but not $500-$1000 better. The Euro's feel just like the SLC's, I am pretty sure Meopta was trying to get as close the the SLC as possible. Also the Euro's are built like a tank, you would have to beat them pretty hard to get them to fail you! If you have a bino harness you can hike all day and the weight is not a problem. Go check them all out before you just go off these posts because everyone see's things a little different!

haven't personally checked the Cabelas. But the Zen Ray ED2 I have easily beats the Razor. I have heard good things about Euro since it is made by Meopta. If you have $1000 budget, may want to add a few hundreds to check out the Swarovski SLC or older EL models.

I had the Cabela's Euro 10x42 for a few years and loved them. It was my biggest hunting purchase at the time, so I compared them for months to the big 3, as well as the mid-range like kahles, pentax, nikon, leupold, etc..

They were very tough, comfortable, and the optical quality was fantastic. You wont regret getting them. The only reason I sold them was to get a ridiculous deal on some Leica BRFs. Which, after having both for a good amount of time, the Meoptas are VERRRRRRY close to the Leicas.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Cabelas recently changed their warranty. Its no longer unlimited... It DOES blow...

CSO

It's all about the good times...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom