Cabela's Mountain Extreme Soft Shell Gear

bigbull1

Very Active Member
I saw this gear once in Cabela's Reno. The sales associate knew nothing about it and then it disappeared. I now see it in the "Fall Sale" catalog at close to 50% discounts. It looked and felt like the Sitka 90% gear and is advertised to be windproof, water resistent, three layer soft shell material that is quiet and stretchable.

Anybody have any experience with it?

Ed
4aafa83b725898fa.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

I saw this jacket too online, in my quest for a cheaper 90% jacket. It seems cut well(not some big rifle hunter parka), windproof, water resistant; but all the reviews say it's noisy as hell.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...h/search-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I haven't seen it in person, so did you think it was noisy? I like everything about it; but I'm skeptical about the noise issue.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

I did not try it on that day, but wish I would have. Too many folks saying it is noisy! Probably is why it is discounted 50%.
Thanks for the comments link...I couldn't find it the other day.

Ed
4ab0ed1449524706.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

yeah, i suppose the search continues for smart/functional alternatives to Sitka...I'll keep an eye out..

For a cheaper alternative to Sitka jackets, check out the Realtree Wind River Jacket (Gore Windstopper) and the Realtree Windstopper Fleece pants. I've seen the windstopper jacket on sale for about $110. I was waiting for the Sitka Jetstream jacket to come out, but after seeing the price tag, decided to go for the Realtree Windstopper jacket. My experience with gore windstopper is it is very water resistant (only leaks at the seams) and very windproof, warm, and lightweight. It is quiet also...

Sitka stuff is awesome, but pricey...

Ron

hey bigbull, I went to Cabelas yesterday and scoured over their clothing section. Apart from a couple ScentLok jackets, they didn't have 1 single soft-shell type jacket under their brand name.
Even though we all know ScentLok is BS, a couple of their light jackets seemed cut and constructed very well. Cabelas had nothing but fleece and huge puffy parkas.

Check out the new Browning line too. I think one of the jackets is called the Hells Canyon jacket. It's windproof, water resistant, and apparently soft. It also looks cut pretty well too.

Is it breatheable? Make sure it is, a few years ago I bought some pants from Cabela's(not sure of the name of the product) in the interest of saving a few dollars. It was not breatheable and I was miserable wearing the stuff.

Nails

I went to Bass Pro yesterday and checked out the Hells Canyon Jacket. I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. The tags claimed it was water resistant and breathable, though I couldn't really test these things out in the store.
The outer material was as soft/quiet as you're going to get without going to fleece/berber. It was also cut fairly well, though not as "modern fit" as the 90% or something.

Give it a look. For $90, it sounds like a pretty good jacket for the price.

I ordered one yesterday, for the price, even if it is noisy, it is probably worth it. Noisy clothes are not an issue here in this jungle brush. You are not going to sneak up on anything here. If you are sitting in a treestand somewhere on a dead calm day, I can see animals busting you. One guy in the reviews said it got less noisy the more he wore it and washed it. I an any case, I am sure they are stuck with a bunch of them. I am sure they will address it and improve it, but then again, you are gonna pay. They are having some pretty good sales. I picked up another microfleece pullover, and some rain pants.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom