Cabelas -- Two Years Later

338magblaster

Now that Cabelas has been in Lehi for more than two years what do the residents of the Wasatch Front think?

Is it the "greatest thing since sliced bread?" or what?

Back when Cabelas announced the new retail store, there were claims that it would become a bigger attraction than Temple Square, in terms of visitor numbers. Has this panned out?

Do you go to Cabelas and PURCHASE gear or just look?

Who prefers local (mom & pop stores like Payson Sports) shops?

Sportsman's Warehouse?

Wally World?

Where does Cabelas now fall in the landscape of outdoor retailers for Wasatch Front outdoors enthusiasts?

I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts.

I can't answer your question but I wished we had a Cabelas or Bass PRO here in NM. We do have Sportsmans Warehouse which is awesome but I went to the Bass Pro in OKC and Rancho Cucamunga and have to say WOW, those store are VERY AWESOME!Never been in a Cabelas but would like too..NM

I live closer to Cabelas but still shop at Sportsman's Warehouse about 95% of the time.

I purchase everything from Cabela's. I really like the selection. The way I view it, if I'm going to purchase a new coat, why would I want to buy it from my local Academy Sports and Outdoors, spend $150 or so, and have only one choice. If I go to Cabelas, I get exactly what I want for my money. I work hard for my money and want to spend it wisely. Cabela's might be a tad higher than the other places, but I'll take the sacrifice for the selection they have to offer.

NMHUNTNUTT - you gotta get to a Cabela's. No comparison for hunting gear when compared with Bass Pro.

Down here now that we have all three (Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, and Sportsmans) I will go to Cabela's to check it out and look around but I haven't found that they have any more selection than any of the others. In fact I just bought a pair of boots and went to all three trying them on and ended up buying from Bass Pro Shop because of selection and price. I guess it just comes down to personal preference.

Seems like 30% of the time I visit cabelas which is only a couple miles from my house, they are out of stock on simple things. Its very frustrating so I usually just hit up walmart or other various stores for the little things. I usually build up a list of a few things to pick up when i'm near a Sportsmans though, some of their fishing gear is half price.

This past year however, I'd guess 80% of my purchases of hunting / fishing gear were online saving me usually 40% off local retail prices... and no taxes.

-DallanC

I've spent hundreds of dollars at Cabela's since it arrived. I have also spent about half that amount at Sportsman's.

I like Cabela's for the stuff they carry. And buying the "Cabela's" brand of clothing or gear just makes sense. What with their no fuss warranties, you ever have a problem, they take care of you. I think it has been and will continue to be a boon to this state.

I still purchase at both stores. Whatever is more convenient for me at the time. However I like Cabelas more because of the return policy and warranties. I have found it is a lot easier to return something to Cabelas that it is the warehouse.

I live in Nv and the nearest Cabelas is in Lehi. Been there a couple of times as well as some Bass Pro's around the country as well.

I got to tell you, I like Sportsmens Warehouse the best by far. I can find stuff there, and they seem to just get the stuff that most people want/need and not a bunch of superflous stuff. I think they are competitive in their pricing and you can get checked out quickly. Cabelas is abyssmal for its check-out lines. Cabs may have a better clothes selection, but that is about all they have on SH.

I can also hit the SH's in Reno or Twin Falls and the lay-outs are the same. Just my humble opinion though.

I always go to Sportsman's first. I noticed that Cabela's is so ridiculously priced on some stuff, it kept me away. I went into Sportsmen's last fall to buy some Picatini rings for my Bushmaster. They were out, but the price was $21.99. I went to Cabela's, and that same brand was $42.99. I ended up buying the Cabela's brand for $29.99. I also noticed that .223 ammo was almost double at Cabela's compared to Sportsmen's. I try not to shop at Cabela's. By the way, I am talking about the Boise store.

I live less than a mile from Cabela's, and have been happy with the store. Many have already commented about the warranties and return policies, which are great. However, I purchased a Thompson Center Omega this spring from Sportsman's Warehouse for no other reason than price. $339.00 at the Warehouse compared to $449.00 at Cabela's...pretty much a no-brainer. Like I mentioned, I love Cabela's, but I'd check prices before making a major purchase.

I don't remember seeing a Cabelas. We have a BassPro & Gander Mountain. Both are great....

I don't live anywhere near where all of you live(NE) but I shopped(I was young) at Cabelas before they even had a large store. The original Sidney Cabelas. Their Cabelas named items have always been great for me and I will continue to shop there as long as I live.

Aim Center Mass

Can't believe it has been two years already!! Seems like the anticipated wait for it to open it's doors in Utah took longer!

I do most my shopping there and have actually turned my wife into a Cabela's enthusiast for decorations and such.

However, I am quite disappointed how they seem to have the clothing and other things more directed for the midwest territories and further east. I feel they could do a better job at having items that are all geared for the rocky mountain region. Seems like the selections are pretty low for what we need here.

It depends on what I'm looking for. If it is an item that costs more than 100.00 I will buy from cabelas only because of their no questions asked return policy. It may cost me 10 bucks more a Cabelas but if it ever breaks, I end up not liking it or whatever, I can take it back. Now for general items, camo, knives, shells, arrows, nocks, etc. I go to SW.

All major purchases I make I do at Cabelas due to the return policy. Sportsman has jacked me around a time or two.

The only thing I buy at SPortsmans is ice fishing gear.

Thanks for the replies.

I have found that Cabelas is a great place to waste a couple of hours and if there is a specialty item that I can't wait for delivery from an internet purchase, Cabelas has been pretty reliable as a source...

If, on the other hand, in need to stop and grab something on the way home from work, SW is the place I go... They usually have just what I need and there prices seem to be better... Also, when was the last time Cabelas had something on their clearance rack that you said, "Man, I need that!" I see stuff like that at SW more often.

Opened a Cabela's seven miles from my house a little over a year ago. Before that, I shopped at Sportsman's. Cabela's has the glitz and on occasion has a good price, but for the most part, Sportsman's prices are better.

I spend a lot of time in Cabela's because my wife loves the atmosphere and I love to brows. I think its great to have both. Sportsman's is also seven miles from my house, just another direction is all.

The point is Cabela's is not always the lowest price.

264X300

I try to buy all my dogs shock collars and No Bark collars from Cabelas. Because of thier return policy, and I have returned a few, even when the dog ate most of the collar they still took it back.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom