cabin fever

huntfish714

ok how bout some ideas locations and tips on things to do this time of year for budget conscious outdoors men and women. winter is hard for a lot of us due to being laid off the economy and for myself a hefty garnishment. my winter project was rebuilding are boat which has come to a halt till june. so what are some things we and people visiting can do for cheap? ill start with shed hunting since some are starting to drop already and ice fishing tackle toms ice derby is next weekend in cascade. its ALOT of fun and only costs a couple bucks to enter and rent augers great for all ages. i do it every year but may not be able to this year. what else?

i feel your pain bud, my wife was layed off in october. that was our " extra " money. now the savings are depleated and it's getting togher by the day. i havent been out of town since my november whitetail hunt. and when the 4-5 dollar a gallon gas gets here i will be fishing the river that runs through town i guess. trying to save up for turkey but who knows. i watch a lot of movies, reload, make jigs ect....

Do the game herds a favor and go out a shoot a few coyotes. It really does help the antelope and deer fawns in the spring.

ya i feel ya my wife hasn't worked in bout two and a half years now twenty five percent of my wages are gone but soon will be better. i've got a couple dens marked near town with dogs as big as wolves and have witnessed first hand there ruthless doe and fawn slaughter but not much to do at 200 yards with only a bow and pistol in hand. last time i took the rifle out in early december they weren't there. do they move dens for deep winter? hopefully head out again soon and now that the snow has melted back a little Maby they'll be in there :)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-11 AT 04:46PM (MST)[p]I'm not sure if they move dens during the winter. I'm going to head back out on Saturday and try to crack a few more !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sick of winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what are some preferred methods for idaho? spot and shoot, calling, flagging, etc? i've tried most but my success mostly comes from spot and shoot.

also one more thing. i've been observing the location of a large wintering muley heard of 1000+ head spread over about a mile for the past several weeks. i started seeing them about 21 miles south of the idaho line near tremonton, ut and slowly but surely have watched them migrate back up north through the valley and just a little bit ago i saw the first half of the herd back in idaho. they aren't part of the herdS i hunt but gets me excited to think they are on there way back up and start fawning before to long :) very nice healthy lookin bunch of deer. one of these days ill remember to grab the camera and hopefully have time to stop and take some pics of some nice bucks before they loose all there AntlerS

I mostly call. If you hunt an area that has any pressure from other hunters the Coyotes are usually eduacated on the dying rabbit call. In this case it is better you use a softer call. I can make a kind of a soft whine with my elk reeds. It works pretty good,,, the coyotes have never heard the sound before so they get curious. I'm still waiting for a cougar,,, no such luck YET!!!!! Anyone with dogs out there need a shooter let me know :) I would love to shoot a cougar out of a tree...... We have had mild temps here in the treasure valley with little preci. Looks like the game herds are in good shape so far,, it's not over but were getting close. Fingers crossed...

That's been my experience as well Matt. Yote hunting is getting very popular and I've never hunted an animal that learns as quickly as a coyote. I started hunting them around here 10+ years ago and the dogs are much harder to hunt than they were. I see several hunters now, never used to see a one.

I've never seen a cat either, I wonder how many I've called.

Few pictures of some "good" Yotes....

Picked them up yesterday on my trapline.

P2010943.jpg

P2010946.jpg

P2010942.jpg

P2010947.jpg

Well it is a good way to deal with Cabin Fever. Good time with kids as well, if you keep it low key.

Try it, you don't have to set 100's traps.

I had never done it before last year. Go over to Trapperman web site. I learned most of what I know from there, then it was just trial and error. Lots of error. but I am getting better at it.

I target Cats for the most part ($$$, and they are kind of dumb), but tried a few other things this year as well.

Beaver, Mink, Marten, Otter and yots as well.

P1210938.jpg

P1020933.jpg

PC220930.jpg

PC220918.jpg

Me_Allicat.jpg

P1010894.jpg

P1150402.jpg

i know i will be blasted for this......i totally support your trapping. having said that the live bobcat pic was a bit disturbing. how long are the animals suffering before they are dispached? nice looking animals by the way.

great lookin dogs!!! my phone will only load one or two pics at a time so ill have to check the rest out this weekend. id love to trap despite my long fear of accidentally stepping in a trap especially my own, after finding an old bear trap up north probably from the 60S. thank For sharing and the web info to. be forsure checking it out!

Well you have your opinions.

How long does that hamburger you buy "suffer" before you eat it? Are you disturbed by that as well? Considering you are on a hunting site, and from Idaho, I assume you are keenly aware of what has to happen to end up with a steak on your plate. Or in this case, a nice fur coat, and a check in my pocket.
How many elk or deer have you not recovered in your life? How many were not recovered in Idaho this year? How long did those animal live before dying? I don't know; the point is, I am not about to stop hunting because of that, it just doesn't "disturbe" me that much.

It all comes down to your definition I guess. Idaho law requires a 72 hr check. I meet that and then some, because my traps are on the way to work, and I can glass many of them every morning and night. Reguardless, when you start with the "animal suffering" stuff you open up a can of worms, and should reflect on why it is that you hunt you are either fooling yourself, a hypocrite or both.

I can tell you this, many folks have some Disney induced ideal of what happens when an animal is trapped (disturbing, suffering, oh poor kitty etc..). For the most part, they just sit there unitl I either turn them loose or dispatch them. The animals legs are not ripped off, broken or otherwise. If you are getting at: why did you take the time to snap a picture? Well, because I can, but rest assured it was not like I was having a party. For the most part, on a normal day on the line when I am successful in catching an animal, I assess the situation, make a decision and do it. It takes about that long. That particular day, I had my kids along. I took time to explain what was happening and why, what was going to happen, and then how to remake the set to get another one. The pictures will remind me and my kids of that when I am too old to remember. The Picture is not about "that" one cat, it is about every thing I did before and after that cat.

i understand your position but i have never shot a deer or elk in a leg trap. and domestic cows are spiked in the head not suffering for up to 72 hours. i have never lost any big game animal. i am not a "wussy" either but it still bothers me to see that pic, so deal with it..seems sick to me. but i have no issue with you doing it it is legal and your buisiness.

i didn't know there legs arent broken so i will understand this better i guess. the dogs , beavers, minks don;t bother me too much but the bobcat pic does. but i still wish you good luck on your trapping. it looks like you are very succesful at it. didn't mean any disrespect.

jbloom, I just checked with my wife and she said no to the adoption.... However, we are going to go on a vacation to the WA/OR coast this spring in our camper, so I might swing by for a cold one..

yea Beaves like I said you got your opinions, fine. I don't got to deal with anything, I am not "disturbed or feeling sick about anything".

If you think that a slaughtered cow is just wandering happily around in a field and some dude sneaks up on them and "spkies" them in the head with a bolt gun like "No Country For Old Men" you need to brush up on your slaughter house practices. While your at it check out Pork producers and Chicken farms as well.

As for never loosing a big game animal; good for you. Seriously, you should be proud of that. But if you do loose one, you gonna quit hunting?
anyhow, we are kinda hi-jacking this tread, so anymore back and forth might be best in a PM.

no comment on previously stated things other than i will NEVER eat another store bought turkey after loading out of one of those places! got the ok from the wife and was able to move a bill out so i can do the derby THANK GOD I GET TO DO SOMETHING! i was wondering if there were any other hard top anglers on here? also does any one have a heater buddy or other type of propane heater i could borrow or RENT for that weekend? mine was old and broke during late archery season. just need one big enough to heat a tent, fish all night! thanks

Awesome pics springbear.... would love to trap Bobcat,,, looks like you know what your doing. BTW thanks for helping Idaho's predator problem.

SpringBear,

I appreciate the thoughtful comments on your trapping. Nice to read respectful words on a way of life that is not in step with many people. In my younger days I would have absolutely jumped at the chance to do something like that. Maybe I still will. Sent you a PM.

ill forsure try those coyote tricks i think i saw one running out there the other day when i drove by so hopefully there back in there. found out today that we only have a half payment left on the truck :) so that should be good till spring. no hard top anglers on here? well if there is iceshanty.com is a good forum for it. can't wait till the 19 to come and still need to find a heater to rent or borrow for night time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom