California D-zones

five_point_buck

Very Active Member
Howdy fellers,

Just wondering how many of Y'all are hunting the D-zones this year? As I am sure its no surprise to any of you, I didn't draw a X zone tag again. No biggee...my tan was getting a little faded anyway.
On a side note, I am looking for camoflage coppertone for the archery season. It's always about 95 degrees and the sunburn hurts. Please help.

Take er easy
fdeeab5d.jpg

I'll be hunting D3-D5 rifle season with my 10yr old son on his first outing along with all the rest of of our family. Can't wait.

Ridge_Runner

I will be hunting D5 again this year. Looks like the season opens a week later and closes a week later than previous years.

Good luck to everyone in filling their tags!

Hey Horniac, where's the good spot in D5 for a shot at a forky?? I've been hunting D5 for the past 3 years and have only found one forky and I dropped him. Not lookin for your secret spot, just a place to try out would be nice. Thanks!!

Trophy_killer:

If I knew the answer to your question I wouldn't be eating my tag(s) every other year.

Depending on the time of the year, you might want to look at Ice House, the Lyons Creek and surrounding areas off of Wrights Lake Road, the areas north and south of Iron Mountain Road, and north and south off of Highway 4 from Cabbage Patch to Highlands Lakes.

I have seen bucks in all these areas, but be forewarned the deer density in D5 is very low so don't get discouraged. That is why the success rate is traditionally only around 10%. If you tell me what area of the unit you are interested in, I may be able to give you some other ideas.

I'll be headin to D-3 for my annual forky fest. Oh, if I'm real lucky, maybe I'll see a 3 pointer. Ah, it holds me over until Colorado in November.

What am I saying, anytime you get to go hunting anywhere, it's worth it! The smell of the woods, the anticipation of not knowing what might come into view, just getting out in the woods, and most important is hunting with my son and father. And if your lucky enough to get a shot, it's a bounus.

Good luck five_point_buck and everyone else!!

I'll be hunting D-5. I have hunted here all my life. The deer are not as plentiful in the mid to higher elevations as they use to be.
Trophy-killer, try to find some public land in the 1500-3000 foot elevation range. There are LOTS of nice bucks eating acorns.
Good luck all!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom