Can't Beat the .270WSM

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Howdy! I'm seeing a lot of posts lately asking advice as to which hunting caliber one should get to cover the bases in the "Western" type of hunting that most of us do. There are as many great calibers out there as there are opinions, nothing wrong in that. Many of us have pet guns that have served faithfully, performed exceptionally, and at least deserve mention when one is seeking advice. This post is about the .270 Winchester Short Magnum, WSM, and why it has my vote as the perfect all around Western Big Game caliber.

First off i'm going to exclude any other mention of the "Ultra Mags" type calibers. Fine for those that like them, but i don't. The several i have shot are no fun to do so. Between the muzzle blast, noise, and recoil, they simply are not fun at all to practice with which is something that not only should be ethically required but a joy in itself.

The group i'm talking about may be on the small side for some of our bigger animals. I'm not interested in arguing that so and so Mr. big blaster can run it's bullet through one hip bone, up through the whole animal and break the shoulder bone before it exits near the front chest. We're going to assume that the bearer of these guns knows his animal, knows the vital areas of concern, and knows how the get the pill where it will do the job.

From Remington's own website that shows the ballistics of ALL it's FACTORY ammo available, here's some stats on the 150 gr loading. Premier Accu-tip W/ Ballistic Coefficient of .525

Velosity.... muzzle 3160...300yds 2618...500yds 2291
Energy FPE .muzzle 3325...300yds 2283...500yds 1748

I'm gonna say that these #'s hold favorably against the 7 mags, smaller Weatherbys, 264's, 300's, 280's, wildcats, Ackleys... about anything you want to mention short of the ultra cannons. All this in a gun that has a short action, shorter bolt throw, possibly lighter to carry, and in most cases uses less powder. To top it off, mine is a pleasure to shoot, kicks less than my .280 AI which is 2+ pounds heavier.

Is the .270 WSM the Rodney Dangerfield of hunting calibers? For the life of me i can't see why, but, i think so!

Joey

I don't think it is a Rodney cartridge. It hasn't been around long enough to get respect. I'd pack a .30-06 over a WSM any day. But, I shoot an ultra cannon now. mtmuley

Oh so contrare. I'm not talking just any WSM , i'm talking the .270WSM

That 06 was certainly a good all around choise in it's day but the .270WSM shoots way flatter, hits way harder at long range, and probably kicks less depending on the gun. If i'm wrong, show me the stats.

Your comment that "It hasn't been around long enough to get respect", Just proves my point. "I tell ya, i tell ya, i don't get no respect around here."lol

Joey

Good post, really enjoyed reading. You really presented your case very well. I am a 270 fan from way back, but right now my favorite is a Rem. model 700 in 300 win. mag.

Good morning Tex! Could you post what you could expect to get from a factory 150 grainer in the way of ballistics? i'm really interested in the 500 yd Ft pounds of energy and the remaining velosity #'s.

I know that the 300 win mag can really push those lighter pills out the barrel pretty fast but i believe that the .270WSM actually has more pop with that weight bullet at distance.

Joey

i have a article shooting times did where they compared a 270win. vs a 270wsm. in a 130 grain the fastest factory load was the hornady light mag in 270 win. at 3218. the fastest 130 270wsm was 3156. in 140's a 270win. hornady light mag. was 3077. fastest 270wsm 140 was win. accubond at 3144.in 150's 270 win. only load was winchester power point at 2841,while a 270wsm was shooting a win. power point at 2995,it also shot the win. ballistic tip at 3058. this article used 2 identical weatherby vanguards with 24" barrels.factory advertised ballistics are usually higher than what you can get. 270wsm is a nice round,but i like the plain old 270 win. and at under 20 dollars a box,able to buy anywhere. sure beats the 270wsm at 35plus dollars a box and limited availability. if i didn't have a 270win. i would maybe look at a 270wsm because i handload so the shell prices arenot that bad once you have some brass. but not enough difference for me to want to switch from the old 270 win. to the short mag. i remember where they talked to a guide out west as to what rifle cartridge was the best he said don't matter what you shoot em with as long as you can hit em where you're aiming.ce61

I think you have to assume your a reloader.

I have a 300 wsm in a savage 16. Shoot 150 grainers at approx. 3150-3200 fps. (accubonds), it kicks. There is no question about it. Part of that is the sorry stock that comes with the savage in synthetic.

So, my decision is this. I already bought the 270 wsm barrel and will send it for a new stock, that should distribute the recoil better and also provide a more ridged base to shoot from.
Then I will have a higher bullet coeficient with the same weight bullet. Producing a very nice deer package. Already had the trigger done.

Then for elk and other larger game, I will get a new rifle. Maybe 300 WM or one of the ultra mags or weatherby mags. This will be used when I need bigger bullets than the 150 grainers.

I don't want to take shots beyond 500 yards, really beyond 400. So, I think the 270 wsm has that covered.

Don't like super heavy recoil or super loud muzzle break options. So, when you don't want to deal with those things, I think sageadvice is right on above.

ce61, Thanks for stopping in. There is no doubt that the light Mag loads have done wonders for the calibers that they are available in. Too bad it doesn't come in all calibers, love to see what they could do with my pet, or make their powders available to the public.

I was not aware that its 130 grain loading was over 3200 fps, that is doing it! Years ago, we all just knew that the 130 grain loadings were the only way to go in the .277's. If looking for a antelope-mulie gun, i'd be hard pressed to find a better combo than a .270 Win matched with that 130 gr. light mag loading.

Now, i'm convinced that the 150gr. is the way to go and with such as the Remington factory loading i listed above, the 270WSM smokes any loading that you mentioned, especially that winchester loading, at 500yds in ft pounds of energy. Light Mag or no, you get anywhere near 1748 ft pounds of energy at 500 yds with a 270 Win, i got a hat to eat for dinner. lol

4x4, sounds like you have a good plan going. i haven't had much experience with Savage products. i hear everywhere that they are shooters. Before i got my first deer rifle, a 25-06 700 at 14 yrs old, i sometimes borrowed my Uncles left handed Savage 30-06 to hunt from the ranch house with. i shoot righty, don't know if that makes a difference, but that 06 rocked my world and rattled my teeth. I think you'll be pleasently surprised of the recoil in your new setup.

If, as you say, you feel a need for bigger bullets than 150 grains, there certainly are a covey of fine calibers available. Again though, check out and compare that 500 yd fpe stat. You might do better with a properly constructed high BC 150gr bullet than a heavier one ahead of more powder. Then again, you just can't have too many hunting guns.lol, Good Luck!

joey

Sageadvice-
You mention above about putting the bullet in the right place. I won't need a bigger bullet for mule deer than the 150 grainer in the 270 wsm.

If I pay a decent amount to go to africa or alaska for Bear, I'll just take another gun in the next grade up to allow for 180 or 200 grainers. Africa and Alaska bears should be handled with a 338 wm or 300 wm. Don't think many shots will be beyond 200 yards for those trips.

It is nice to think about those 30-378 type guns. But, I personally don't need to be able to kill at say 600 or 750 yards. 500 is more than enough. I understand how guys put huge effort into hunts and wait for many years for a chance and why they would go to the max. to make shots.

I understand and to each his own. Muzzle breaks are wonderful. I just don't want the extra noise for me and others around me.

Will post results when I get her going (270 wsm).

Sage good post! The one thing that helps the .270wsm in that loading is that bullet. The reason many fall behind it for that reason. It has such a good BC that's what makes it slip thru the air so nicely. In all fairness there isn't a .30 cal bullet at that weight that comes close and that's why the .270 wsm looks so good and shows an advantage! I personally think that bullet was developed to go into their ultra mags in .270 to compete with the WSM's but for some reason it didn't get done and maybe they saw that it didn't offer up enough pluses to take it to market. The 270 Wby mag has quite a following too and it's a great cartridge and already has established itself.

The WSM's in all fairness don't do as well with the heavier weight bullets in most of the calibers as ce61 states. When comparing apples to apples .300WSM and .300 win Mag the win mag pulls away and does the job especially with the heavier weight bullets. I think it's great that technology is still evolving and we the sportsman are getting the benefit. It's a great caliber and is most definately one of the best deer/sheep rounds around. It is a shade better than the old .270 and is a cheaper alternative to the more expensive WBY ammunition so it fills a good niche. No doubt about it in that load it's a flat shooting tater!

4x4, I could not agree more!

I don't generally want a shot over 500yds either but a standing buck up to that distance, is in trouble. 500yds is a very long ways. The gun has plenty left to kill cleanly out at least another couple hundred yds but not gonna happen with me behind it. i have shot a bunch and can shoot some with the big boys but prefer them 3-400. 500yds, in the right conditions, is my own self imposed limit.

Again, good luck in your project, thanks for the visit and the support.

By the way, i do reload but for some reason, i don't for the 270WSM i guess what kept me from doing so, i would be hard pressed to improve on that Remington 150gr loading, i don't generally shoot more than a couple boxes a yr thru that gun, and it shoots -3/4 groups, sometimes much better, just as she sits.

joey

LAST EDITED ON May-16-08 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]Boskee, i appreciate you dropping in and bringing your knowledge to the topic. Your comments are right on the mark as usual. i agree that the 270 Weatherby is a dandy round.

Once i posted last night, i went back through these pages to look for other threads concerning the 270WSM [notice caps] and found a lively one about 12 pages back. In there, was quite a discussion as to how the 270WSM [again caps] compared to the 270 wby [no caps] I believe you even had a comment or two at the time. in the .270, it seemed that the WSM and the Wby were agreed upon by all to be very similar in ballistic capabilities. To me, that's saying something. That, along with the recoil and smaller case advantages, hopefully, have kept my statement in line with the title of this thread, "Can't be Beat"

One point of thought though. Many people hunt or have killed Elk with a regular .270 Win. If they did so, they probably shot it with 150gr loads, very many with factory ammo. There is no doubt that the 270WSM load from Remington that i listed above is far superior to most 150gr factory loadings of .270 Win. Those core-loc, soft point, power point loadings hardly have much over 1000 FPE at 500yds. The guy that has a .270 in the closit at home with a couple boxes of green Remington's, regular federal's or Winchester shells is being mislead. He's not getting anywhere near the speed, power, and trajectory, out the barrel that the .270WSM was built to do.

joey

need 4x4, i have a tikka t3 in 300wsm. it kicks pretty good, i put a limbsaver recoil pad on it and it made a world of difference. i don't think with same weight bullets and velocity a 270wsm will kick less than the 300wsm. if it does it won't be much less. have done a barrel swap on a savage though and is pretty easy, hope it works out for ya. ce61

Sage I think it will be one of the survivors in the WSM cartridges. I bought one of the model 70 featherweights before Winchester tanked in .270WSM in Left hand. It's the only model 70 I own. One thing that will help is Winchester is building them again and Browning has had some good success with them and Remington got on board with it. Like you said you have to love that short action and the power it packs. As smokeless powders and bullets evolve I think we may see a little more out of it. If I was a guy looking for my first rifle that would do it all I'd sure have to think about this one because it's a contender for sure. Jack and Roy weren't off the mark loving that .277 bore for what it would do and this offering just fits in there just fine.

Boskee, Thanks again! Yeah, i gotta believe the .270WMS is going to be around. For some reason though, many believe it's a gimic, discount it, gets no respect at all! lol

Jack O'Conner? sp, as a kid, best reading i had. Simply could not wait to read his monthly articles from those old rags. The man could tell a hunting story, eh? I wonder what he would think of all the factory cartridges that we have on the market today?

I looked up what Remington has in the way of factory 150 gr .270 Winchester loads available. They only show 1, a express, SP core-loct with a muzzle Velosity of 2850 but far more importantly, a 500 yd foot pounds of energy, only 639. In the 150 gr pills, .270wsm actually hits harder at 500yds than the .270win does at 200yds, 1587fpe, both these factory loadings.

The "best" factory loading for the reg .270 had a bit over 1200 fpe @ 500ys vs. 1748 for the short mag 1200 FPE @ 500yds is very respectable but the difference between the two .277's is substancial.

joey

Here's my 300 win numbers, taken about 15' from muzzle, and a PACT professional XP graph. They actually averaged about 3340 out of the 26" barrel, but I put 3300 even in my ballistics program. I have shot 2 whitetails, and plan on a muley this fall, if the hunting Gods smile on me. Also it is a tru 1" group at 100 yards. (3 shot) 150 gr Hornady Interbond

Velocity- muz. 3300 300 yds. 2327 500 yds 1991
Energy muz. 3736 300 yds. 2405 500 yds 1761

LAST EDITED ON May-16-08 AT 05:57PM (MST)[p]Hey Tex, Thanks for getting back to me. Sounds like those aren't factory loadings but i could be wrong. They certainly are going to do what you need doing, no question about that. Yes sir ie!

I'm going to post the two guns foot pounds of energy side by side here. Hopefully you'll see the trend. Also the 270WSM is a factory loading and it's #'s are from a 24" tube, not a 26"

foot lbs of energy
270WSM 150gr...muzzle 3325...300yds 2283...500yds 1748
300 WM 150gr...muzzle 3736...300yds 2404...500yds 1761

Your 300 starts out the barrel much faster because of more powder but the Ballistic Coefficient difference in the 2 bullets, doesn't help the fatter bullet to carry its speed...therefore energy downrange as well as the slimmer, smoother flying .277 bullets. In fact, the #'s show that at 500yds, they are vertually the same in energy. Considering your barrel is two inches longer, that this may be a hot worked up handload, and that yours is slowing down much faster than mine, i would say that the more efficient .270WSM 150gr load is at least equal to your load, in long range hunting.

The advantage you have at shorter range is paid for in increased recoil, extra powder, and the long action. Also, no antlered animal in North America is going to know the difference if he is hit by 3300 or 3700 foot pound of energy, it's at the longer ranges where the #'s tell the story. Great luck to you on your hunts this year!

joey

If you are going to go magnum, why go short? I'll admit, I have a .300 RUM. AND I have a REAL .270 The .270 Win will do all I need it to. The short mags never appealed to me. To each his own, but the .270 short mag can be beat and is beat by various cartridges. It really doesn't hold enough advantage over the old standby to be worth it. And I wouldn't use a 150 gr bullet on an elk. Increased recoil, extra powder and a longer action is all relative. I'm glad you like the .270 WSM, but it is not a magic cartridge. mtmuley

mtmuley, have you been following the above posts? It doesn't appear so as many of your questions have already been addressed.You say it can be beat? show me the #'s in the class we're talking, Factory load!

It's not just my posts but you seem to be mad at the world when commenting lately. Just because something doesn't appeal to you doesn't always make it not good. What's not to like about a 150gr .277 bullet hitting with over twice the 270's energy at 500yds, all in a efficient package that doesn't kick like a yearling bull?

I'll say this again...There are lots of great calibers out there, to each their own, especially with good reason. But when someone is asking for advice about western hunting calibers, i don't think this one gets the respect it deserves. It REALLY is a good one...and up for discussion.

Sage,

Are your numbers from a chronograph or are you just going by what the bullet Mfg claims?

horsepoop.gif

BuckSnort, i got these #'s direct from Remingtons products website. They have a easy to use ballistic's program for all their available factory loads. Try it out!

http://www.remington.com/products/a...ative_ballistics_results.aspx?data=PRA270WSMB

You should be able to click on my link and it will take you right to the page for the factory load i'm talking about.

As far as a .308 150gr bullet having the same BC as a 150gr .277, you had best check again. I don't believe that it can be possible.

Aside from that, BuckSnort, whats your thoughts on the 270WSM?

joey

LAST EDITED ON May-16-08 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]The 270 WSM is ok but not as good as you make it out to be. It's only around 150 feet per second faster than the standard 270. That's not enough to make any significant difference. Energy figures don't mean anything in the real world. You put a hole through the heart or lungs of any animal at 500 yards and it's dead. Makes no difference what the energy of that bullet was. The animal sure won't know the difference. The 7mm Rem. Mag. and 300 Win. Mag. can outperform the 270 WSM without even trying. You are trying to compare 150 grain bullets out of the 300 to 150's out of the 270. That's not a fair comparison. Try using a 165 or 180 in the 300. Then look at 500 yard energy figures and see which one wins. Although as I said, it doesn't matter. A hole through the lungs and you've got meat. And yes I guess I'm mad at the world like the other guy because I didn't agree enthusiastically with your view of the short 270.

Sage you are right about the BC.My post #21 is wrong, I was just trying to explain that in order to compare a 300 WM to a 270WSM you have to compare the same types of bullets....example...both guns shooting ballistic tips in the same weight.

It's wierd really to compare a 270WSM and a 300WM and compare them both shooting 150 grainers. The 300 really shines with the 180's

I also try not to put much reliability into what the mfg. says for velocity.Thats what my chrono is for....real world velocity.

MY thoughts on the 270WSM???......I have two of them :)

One is a Tikka T3 lite I bought for backpack hunts and the other is a Model 70 that was just to good a deal to let slip by..

horsepoop.gif

Sage, you know the factory loads the WSM's hotter than their long action counterparts, right?

Bob D, Actually you make some very good points however you didn't bring any facts in support of your challenge of this thread. The last thing i want to do is any discredit to the .270 Win, i simply stated the fact that its 150 grain Remington loading has less energy at 200 yds than the .270WSM does at 500. Seems like that is "enough to make a difference in the real world"

Ballistics have always interested me. I understand if they mean little to you. If your statement about a hole through the lungs were true, why even discuss guns, calibers, and bullets. To some, it's very important, not myself so much but for the purpose of pointing out the excellent qualities of this caliber i have done some homework.

Also your statement that the 7mm can out perform the 270WSM without even trying shows that maybe you need to do a little digging before making statements like that. Show me any "factory" loading in the 7mm, no matter the bullet or weight that "clearly" outperforms my factory pick, shown above, at long range and i'll be happy to give you credit.

I've shown my stats, lets see yours. Otherwise, i hope you feel good trying to rain on this parade but i simply don't believe you can. Good luck to you sir, i stand ready to be corrected.

joey

BuckSnort, Fair enough.

I'm on thin ice here. I feel as if i'm the only guy out there that really likes of what i see on paper and mayby bit off more than i want to chew.

I looked through the 300WM loadings as well. Even the 180 gr sirroco premium, sp, load which has a very high BC only comes ahead of the 270WSM at 500yds in Foot Pounds of Energy by a few pounds, less than 20. Again the 300 has much more recoil and powder used. For the few pounds of energy listed, more than the 270WSM, i don't consider it getting "beat".

If nothing else, maybe a few of the gang will look at the .270WSM in a little more favorable light. All it needs is a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t. lol

How do you like that Tikka? Mine is a model 70 classic SS w/composite stock. Sweet, Sweet action! Nice gun/tool.

There are few factory cartridges that can't be beat, and the 270 WBY beats the 270 WSM though I can't say the difference makes it better . for deer size game the 270 WSM is on par but not better than lots of rounds like the 7MM mags, 270 WBY , 264 Win mag ect. for elk size game beating the 270 WSM is like shooting fish in a barrel, the list of better rounds is long. as far as I'm concerned there are lots of rounds that fill a need very well and the 270 WSM is one, but any of the .30 cal magnums are a better all around cartridge if you don't want to own multiple guns for some reason.

Danial, not exactly sure what you mean by hotter. If your talking about the pressure of the loading, i believe that i heard somewhere that yes, they were loaded up there near 65,000

Now that you mention it, might be a reason to shoot factory's. Not much room to play with in getting better results in handloads. In any event, i'm very happy with the loading i found and i was really surprised at how mild the recoil is from this gun. It really is a pleasure to shoot and would feel no guilt whatsoever in allowing a youth or slight female hunter to shoot it.

joey

LAST EDITED ON May-17-08 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]Huntingdude, thanks for stopping in! i have much respect for your opinions but the charts that i'm reading must be different than yours.lol I agree that the 270 Weatherby might squeek out a few extra fpe, it has been debated before on these pages to a tie, but like you said, not enough to make it "better". But, the tables i'm using for the 7MM and 300WM are only even close in a couple select loadings, with more powder and heavier bullets. The .264 a favorite, in factory, doesn't even come close and the rest, up to the ultra types are even farther away.

I live in Blacktail country, have hunted and shot my share for over 40 years. i also take a few varments. With antelope , mule deer, a dozen decent bucks, and maybe a elk or two thrown in, my idea of an all around gun would probably be different than yours. Still that .270WSM packs a terrible wallop at distance, prolly do the job just fine on a big ol bull Elk. Again, nice to hear from you!

joey

sage, that's exactly what I'm talking about, the WSM's literally offer the best "bang" per buck bc they are loaded to the nuts. But there is no substitute for capacity, and the long action mags will outpace them every time when loaded to like pressures. That being said, I believe they do fill a niche and I like working with new things. I have a build coming up that will be 7mm wsm. The only thing that limits the .277 bore, is the lack of high BC bullet offerings that exist. Although I believe that Berger is coming out with a VLD for it.

Danial, Ok, i'll buy into what you're saying here reguarding case capasity and like pressures. After all, there must be something that allows the 270WSM to get the stats that is does, beyond case design, with it's holding capasity of less powder. That's actually one of the main reasons i'm drawn to the DAMN THING, lol, and wanted to do this thread to give it some, frigging, attention that i felt it deserves.

This thread however was and is about factory loadings.

Also Danial, from some past digging through the ballistics books i wasn't too awful impressed with my findings with the 7MM WSM Also i've heard that the line will continue but possibly not in that caliber. Any reason or thoughts on that? Much Appreciated!

NEXT! STEP UP! TAKE SOME SHOTS AT THE DUMMY! lol, i'm tired folks, hitten the rack! gnight!

LAST EDITED ON May-17-08 AT 06:27AM (MST)[p]I realize that it's about factory loadings and I believe that I explained why the .270 wsm gets what it gets. I only brought up the mention of the 7mm to show I got nothing against shortmags.

But now that we get into it I'll tell you why I chose the 7 wsm. I'm going to reload for this, because factory selection is sparse.

First I'm not worried about the supply of brass, even if they run out, 300 wsm can be sized and fireformed in a pinch. The 7 wsm case also holds a few more grains over the the 270 wsm case because the shoulder was bumped forward to prevent it's chambering in 270 cases. Bullet selection is also much better with the 7mm's. A quick glance through Berger and Hornady webpages reveal much.

I mean let's be realistic, why are the 270 and 300 wsm's the most popular and most likely to survive? Mostly marketing, influence from writers such as JOC, and familiarity with the caliber. What are the two most popular cartridges in the US? The .270 win and .30-06. It's easy to see the American love affair with these calibers and the easy conversion it would be to their counterparts.

What if JOC had bragged up the .280 Rem? Things could be a lot different by now. I mean let's face it, if I handed someone a .280 and .270 and they shot a buck in the same exact spot with like bullets, no one alive could tell me which one they had just used to kill it. In most any hunting situation you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the .270 and 7mm wsm's. It's only when you start getting into the long range stuff that the 7mm owns and only because of better bullet selection (and mojo!).

In the end, I guess I think it's stupid to declare one cartridge the "best." I don't knock other people on what they choose to use. Whatever reason they are using it for, I find that their confidence and familiarity with the weapon and cartridge has more to do with their success than how flat it flies or how big a hole it makes.

Danial, said i was going to bed, too much on my mind i guess.

Hey man, sorry if you thought that i was giving you a hard time about that caliber, surely didn't mean to come off that way at all. Actually i agreed with everything you had to say and just wanted another informed take on the bad rap comming from some places on the 7MM WSM.

Not sure what got you to "get into it" but my useing the word "Best" in refering to calibers is only my opinion that i put out there to probably be shot down with facts, #'s, and ballistics only. Here i was having some fun talking to what i thought was a nice guy, next i know your saying what i'm doing is stupid. Maybe so. Are you bi-polar by chance?lol

"Any reason or thoughts on that?" That is where I believe you wanted me to "get in" that. Sorry if the stupid thing came off a bit harsh. It's hard to convey tone and facial expression through the internet and I'm not into the emotion icons. I wrote what I wrote, because in my opinion these types of threads are prone to start pissing matches and usually turn into one big ugly mess. Arguing for or against a cartridge is like insulting a man's wife in that it is one thing sure to get his fists up. This is different from a thread where a poster is asking about procuring a cartridge, or looking for reloading info, etc.

BTW: I'm not bipolar...I think.

Couldn't agree more Daniel. 1,000 different hunters can have 1,000 different opinions, and they are all right for each hunter.

A couple thoughts; I have a hard time calling any caliber "best" or "perfect" simply because different cartridges do different things. Also, energy ratings are just a small slice of the pie when looking at terminal performance. Bullet selection and shot placement are much more important. Velocity is one aspect of terminal performance, but faster is not necessarily better. For shooting at elk under 300 yards it's very hard to beat a 180 grain partition from an 06 at 2700 fps. When choosing a cartridge I'm more interested in performance out to 300 yards (where 90% of my shooting is done) than what it will do at 500. BUT, if you are looking for a 500 yard rifle then velocity is a chief concern. BTW, the only numbers I take serioulsy are the ones from my chrony with my loads out of my rifle. Anything else is a guess.

There is surely a niche for the 270 mag. Heck, Roy Weatherby saw that some 60 years ago. The WSM line does have some design issues but I'm not well versed on them.

sage, one point that you seem to miss is using the mfg. stated velocity and b.c. as gospel. chrono those magic bullets and let's hear what they really do.you know i looked on mathews bows website and they said they make the best bow "catch us if you can" but i would have to shoot one, chrono, etc. before i would take their word. let us know how fast YOURS shoots please.....no factory numbers,YOURS. then i'll agree with you, maybe ce61 p.s. the wsm they should have made is the 6.5.

Guys, i think that as long as the involved parties keep their stats, facts, and figures, honest and are willing to accept when another makes a good point, there is nothing wrong with debating the attributes of particular calibers. In fact, this has been going on for generations and will continue to do so.

I simply stated my thoughts in opinion form, made my case with facts that are available to everyone not just the guy reading the cronie, with the knowledge that most ALL reported velosities are slightly exagerated, asked to be challenged with supporting evidence in kind, but please, not with unsupported opinions.

As far as not being able to discuss the effectiveness of a particular caliber without knowing the bullet or shot placement, please... aren't we beyond that? lets give some credit for even being here, i know i do. That info is a way old hat and a given. If you're not into long range ballistics, fine, there are plenty of those who are.

I asked for published data, again knowing that it may be slightly exagerated, because i've asked for factory loadings. A crono displays #'s, either way, they at times get exagerated but maybe more so by someone trying to make their case over mine... no offence intended.

joey

sage, I don't use factory ammo. I'm glad you think the 270 WSM is the do all best all cartridge. I don't. If it works for you, great. What works for me, however, is different. The best do all best all cartridge is the .30-06 Nuff said. mtmuley

Mtmuley, Fair enough! The ol 06 is certainly versitile. Many, many people would quickly agree with you on that pick.

I would say that the 270WSM is a excellent do all type caliber, especially loaded with that Remington Factory 150gr load. There are others right up there, but it's a good one that many may want to take a closer look at. That's my sageadvice!

joey

sage, i think the 270wsm is a good cartridge, but at 35 to 40 bucks a box, sure makes the 270 win. look good at 20 and available everywhere. you make some good points though. if you need a new rifle,don't shoot much and don't mind 40 bucks a box the 270wsm would work great.a faster 270 is a good thing. ce61

35 to 40 bucks a box. Another reason to handload. Ammo for my go to rifle is over 50 bucks. The anti's are going for our ammo too boys. Whatever you shoot, I would reccomend either stocking up on factory, or buying the stuff to do it yourself. Whatever you shoot. mtmuley

ce61, Thanks! i also want to thank you for that info on the 130gr Hornandy lite mag loading at 3200 fps in .270Win. like i said before up above, "that's doing it!" And, i'll add that this is the kind of loading i look for when picking a new caliber to add to the safe. It's not always about the gun but what that gun will do with a excellent particular load.

The guy, a buddy, at the sporting goods store here in Chester, Ca. has been charging me $30. even since i bought mine a few years ago. That's still steep but i shoot other guns more than this one, cost, and so, don't mind too much.

The word must get out about that 150gr core loct express .270 Win load that Remington pushes. It is terrible, a dog, under 700 FPE at 500yds?? forget 500yds, that thing hardly gets out the barrel!
It's the only 150gr .270 Win loading they sell!

That load must have been made for old pump guns or something. Those #'s are way unacceptable in a fine caliber like the honerable .270 Winchester! People buying those to hunt elk or mulies in open country need to know about this!

Joey

Personally I would have loved it if they came out with a factory .25 WSM. I may cough up for a reamer anyway.

BS & danial, YES! to both. I really like the idea of the .257 in the WSM case. I have taken over 50, mostly blacktail, bucks with the 25-06 Love it!

BuckSnort may remember a thread that i started 3 pages back, named "Make 25-06 Better?" With the case capasity of an 06, hard to accept that with a 120gr bullet, all you can get in velosity isn't much over 3000fps. Our beliefs were that the slower twist in the barrel and/or lack of even heavier bullets are holding the case from reaching its full potential.

danial, if you were going to build a 25WSM or similar, have you put thought to what kind of twist you'd use? Would it be built for heavier bullets? and, what velosities you might be expecting to get? These may be professional secrets, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on what this baby could do.

Let's try this from another angle. The last rifle I bought was a .270 Win. I choose the Win over the WSM simply because the negatives outweighed the extra 100 to 200 fps gained from the WSM. IMO. The negative aspects of the WSM that I considered included the possibility of future obsolescence (probably not the the 270 version, but you never know), reliability and feeding issues associated the the WSMs, decreased magazine capacity (not really a big deal), and the lack of a track record as compared to the standard round. One of the advantages of the WSM is the weight savings from the shorter action, but of course this leads to an increase in recoil. I don't consider myself recoil shy but I do enjoy the mild punch from the 270 coupled with the effectiveness of a 130 grain bullet. For many shooters (my wife for example) recoil can affect the ability to shoot accurately. So when I purchased that rifle shot placement was certainly not old hat. Chuck Hawk has a good article on the short mags; http://www.chuckhawks.com/short_magnums.htm.

The 270 mag has a lot of positive aspects and many applications. Some of us just aren't sold on the WSM line. I'm one of em.

For the record, I get 3100 fps from a 22" tube and 130 grain bullets.

LAST EDITED ON May-18-08 AT 12:56PM (MST)[p]Pre64, Thanks, double that for the link. Mr Hawk did himself a fine objective article. I too have long been a fan of the .270 Winchester, actually the .280 as well, and agree as stated above that a good 130gr loading is near perfect for most any horned critter a guy cares to shoot in these lower states.

The small problem i have/had with some of your posts here is although i agree with your choise, you seemed adament to discredit mine. The feeding, recoil, and possible obsolescence, have been documented as possible concerns but as yet, it's been out 6 years now, i have yet to read or hear any problems or concerns from the owners of the 270 WSM in any of these areas. It's just another great caliber that happens to excell in a particularly excellent Remington 150gr loading.

Part of the fun of shooting and hunting are our guns. I've always paid attention to the new stuff that might fill a need i might have. When i bought my 270WSM several years ago, i very quickly recognised what it could do and what it is, as a keeper. Good hunting!

joey

Sage, I'm pretty sure the .25 WSM would run right up there with the .257 weatherby, but in a short action package. It would be easy to size brass from .270 WSM cases (a round I see as having legitimate longevity along with the .300 WSM). I would probably twist it 1/10, at 25" and drive 100 gr. Barnes TSX's screaming out there like a bat out of hell.

With these one-dimensional forums much can be inferred or unintentionally implied. No discrediting intended. Myself and others were simply trying to include reasons why so many don't regard the WSM line very highly. Reloaders, for example, can do wonderful things with a standard 270. The feeding problems were much more common when the short mags were first introduced, and I'm sure there were corrections made (I can't remember what they were). I have not heard of any problems since either. I'm still leary of the WSM's shortcomings and (IMO) the six year track record of the WSMs does not compare to a round that has served very well since 1923.

I think part of the problem is that the market was flooded with so many short mags in such a short period of time. Many, if not most, offered nothing that established calibers couldn't do. The 270WSM was one that clearly has a velocity advantage over the standard 270 but the attributes of the round were overshadowed by the defficiencies of the entire WSM line. So, the baby went out with the bath water.
Just an aside, about a year ago I did some horse trading and ended up with a whole bunch of 7MM Rem Mag reloading stuff; bullets, brass, powder, dies, the whole thing. I've always admired that round and figured that was as good a reason as any to buy one. This was last summer with elk season around the corner. Sportsman's and Cabellas had a few T-3s in 7MMRM but nothing else. They had plenty of various WSMs, but no 7MMRMs in anything I was interested in. Both gun counters said that manufacturers are pushing the WSMs and making fewer of the standard calibers. But, people wanted standard magnum calibers so the few that make it to the shelf don't stay very long. Maybe this is a reflectin of the "Rodney" sydrome you mentioned.

p.s. Sounds like you love to shoot. Ever consider reloading? Sure adds to the fun!

Danial, sounds like it would be a surefire winner! Myself, i would be a little more interested in the longer, higher BC, bullets for possible long range shots on open country lopes or mulies. In any event, that would be some screamer of a gun!

Pre64, I agree how easy it is to take things the wrong way. Your reply sounded nice but i notice you still included plenty of digs in on my pet. I can see that you've long had your mind set, there appears to be no changing it, so, i'll guess we'll just leave it at that. peace!

Yeah, i do reload, some, started back in 1977. Got out of it for awhile, got back involved... I'm not the Guru that a good friend is but i've invested some money in helping upgrade his equipment and getting my own die sets. I'm made more than welcome to load at his place, any time i''d like, him home or not. I really enjoyed working up loads for my 280AI. semi custom. On the other hand, had a terrible time with getting a 257 Weatherby to shoot decent and ended up trading it off shortly before a Colo Mulie hunt. All in all it's a great hobby but i'll take a backseat to those that really know the game.

joey

sage, I use the barnes exclusively for hunting. I'm a firm believer in the Roy Weatherby's school of "speed kills." I'm thinking the 100 gr. TSX will clock around of 3700 fps and will shoot flat and drill anything within reasonable range. I consider 500 my limit on live targets (except ground squirrels) and that load will drop only 26.7 inches from a 200 yard zero. However, I think the Barnes' published BC's are a little low as they fly better than what the calculations predict. The JBM ballistics calculator is a great tool. IMO, if you're looking for long range, it's better to switch to another caliber and the 7's rule that game, while the 6.5's are no slouch. That's why it's nice to have such a wide variety of rounds to choose from.

Sorry, didn't mean to. You asked why that round isn't more popular and I was just trying to give you a few reasons. There is no doubt its a more powerful round than the standard 270 and if your after velocity then its fits the bill very nicely.

Pre64, i understand and no problems here.

The 270WSM is actually extreemly popular. Just take a look in the different hunting forums across the Net, especially the sheep hunting forums, the guys hunt a bit, and you'll see just how popular they are. My post was intended to target some of the guys here on MonsterMuleys, some of the more devout holdouts against the Short Mags in general but also against the 270WSM which is my pick as best of the litter.

joey

Daniel, i could tell you some stories about shooting Blacktails with .257 & 100gr pills... been there, done that, many-many times. They completely pork up a buck. If they don't hit the dirt right now, they might back up a step or two, then hit the dirt. None of this run off for 50-100yds and then die. When you hit them with a light 25-06 round, they are hit hard...and show it. lol!

Saying that, i can visulise what a 100gr pill at 3700 FPS would do. i did get a couple bucks with that Weatherby before i had to trade it off. Ton of bricks, dropped like that, stoned them! lol

i too would like to see a 25 WSM, yes indeed!

joey

I find it funny that we're only comparing factory loads. I for one don't shoot factory loads and will tell you that your .270 wsm isn't even in the same class as my .300 WM handloads. I"m shooting 180 Barnes XLC bt's at nearly 3150fps (chrono'd) out of a 24" tube. For the sake of argument let's just say that's only 3100 and look at the numbers

100yds 200yds 300yds 400yds 500yds
fps 2919 2745 2578 2417 2262
ft-lbs 3406 3012 2655 2333 2046

All this while shooting a heavier projectile, with more frontal area, and a negligible difference in SD. I'm not trying to knock the .270 wsm, as i think it is about an ideal cartridge for deer-sized game, i just think that it gets outclassed pretty easily when you get into elk-sized game.

Ammoman, welcome! Yes, i did ask for factory only and believe that i have stated the reasons at least a couple times. Although i intended this thread to be informative to others, i'm learning quite a bit myself along the way. I'm pleased about that, guess that's what it's all about and makes it worth doing.

I commend you in having such an effective load worked up for your 300WM. Not everybody reloads and your load certainly might be a little heavier than ideal for those little desert whitetails, lopes or Blacktail. As i mentioned in the beginning post, my factory pick might be a tad light for elk, though i rarely hunt them, i believe it would do the job just fine. Again, what you might think an ideal all around Western caliber would probably be different than i would pick... and that, though often debated, is certainly understandable. Thanks for joining in!

joey

I see "all around western caliber" being tossed around, although "cartridge" is a better description. Sage, if you are touting the 270 WSM as such, you are off base. My idea of an all around cartridge, (Western, Alaska included) is a rifle that can take game from antelope, up to and including, big bears. A one gun hunter rifle. The .270 WSM isn't that rifle. Good for deer and antelope, an elk if used right. Especially for the recoil sensitive. An "all around" cartridge it is not. You want all around? Put a brake on a .300 Ultra. It'll kick about like your WSM. mtmuley

mtmuley, YEAH, YEAH, BLA, BLA, BLA..., I'm trying to be nice but...YOU TIRE ME OUT!

Some of us actually like the smaller stuff!!! You just DON'T get it!

Joey

Sageadvice-

I have really enjoyed reading this post. I am strongly considering a new semi-custom Nosler 48 rifle and am trying to decide between .270 WSM and .300 WSM. I am really leaning toward the .270 WSM (primarily for the recoil advantages in this light rifle) but the possibility of running into a moose or mountain grizzly on a Yukon Dall sheep hunt has me hesitating.

Craig Boddington says the .270 WSM is the best sheep caliber in existence. I really believe it would take down a moose or mountain grizzly just fine as long as I do my job and place the bullet properly.In fact,I believe if you fail to place the bullet properly even a larger caliber won't help you. I would appreciate you guys' thoughts.(Please don't mince word because I am not sensitive, just looking for advice).

I've enjoyed the post also. I don't have a 270 WSM, but I may get one next year. I think it would be an awesome deer, antelope, and wolf rifle. With the bullets we have today I think it would take care of moose and grizzly, but I have a 300 Win mag and I'm sure I would be reaching for that instead for the larger animals. The elk would be the coin toss. Packing in very far, or long hikes I could see where having a light 270 WSM would be pretty nice. As far as being the perfect all around western big game rifle, well to some and others, not. The joy of having so many different calibers is not to have one perfect gun after all. If the women ever found out they would only let us have one.

Cbeard, glad you enjoyed the thread, i did too but not without some growing pains.I hope people aren't going to attack Craig Boddington now because of his statement, i truly respect the man and enjoy reading of his travels, hunting, and shooting knowledge very much.

Here's my opinion; There is no doubt that if your hunting sheep and run into a grizzly that's mad at you, you'd be best off with the 300 series and 180 or 200 gr. pills. But are you going to have those rounds in your gun at the time? Maybe, but in some likelyhood a guy is going to take advantage of the 150 grain loadings and their lighter kicking, flat shooting properties for animals like deer, goats, and sheep at modest to long range.

So, if you have the 150 gr 300 WSM or 300WM in your magazine, you are actually shooting a FPE load much lower than what the .270WSM does in it's 150 loading, "above". I'm talking 500 FPE at 500 yds, that's a bunch! Up close, they're even Steven, slight advantage to the bigger round. I think the advantages that the .270WSM offer, outweigh any advantage the larger calibers might have up close, especially when you're loaded for smaller animals and happen to run into Bear. The Moose? he is toast no matter which you decide to shoot him with.

Good hunting! Joey

Thanks for the thoughts, guys!

Frontier, I've got a pre-64 .300 Win Mag I took with me to the Yukon in 2006. I loved it when the time for the shot came (1 shot kill on a beautiful Fannin ram at 222 yards) and it was comforting to have in grizzly country. BUT, it sure was noticeable on my shoulder as I climbed those steep mountains and plowed through the shintangle.

Joey, your points are well taken and the lure of a 6 3/4 pound rifle with relatively mild recoil, combined with its impressive ballistics with the 150 grain pill has made up my mind! The .270 WSM it is!!!

>So, if you have the 150
>gr 300 WSM or 300WM
>in your magazine, you are
>actually shooting a FPE
>load much lower than what
>the .270WSM does in it's
>150 loading, "above". I'm talking
>500 FPE at 500 yds,
>that's a bunch! Up close,
>they're even Steven,

If you have a 150 Partition at factory loaded 3100 fps from a 270 WSM, it will have a calculated energy of 1577 fpe at 500 yards.

The 150 Partition from a 300WSM at a factory loaded 3250 fps will have 1507 fpe at 500 yards (a whopping 70 fpe less) but will be a minuscule 1/2" flatter in trajectory.

However, if you compare bullets of equal sectional density (as opposed to weight) to give a fairer apple-2-apples comparison, a 180 Partition from a 300 WSM starting at a factory 2980 fps will have 1700 fpe at 500 yards.

If a person is going to hunt western game from Coues whitetail and antelope to the heavier bull elk and brown bear, the hunter will have an income to afford more than one suitable rifle to match the game and terrain. Thus, I see the one cartridge choice as mental masturbation. That said, a fellow hunter in my hometown has taken all North American big game from coues to polar bear with his blued, wooden stocked 30-06 (aside from a tule elk, which he still lacks).

If I was forced to choose a single cartridge, it would be along the lines of a 300 WM, WSM or RCM.
Last year I received a 6.5 WSM build for coues and antelope. My next step up in the gun cabinet is a 300 WSM. Some 260, 264WM, 270, 280, 7RM and 300WM have come and gone.

Doug~RR

Doug, always a pleasure! Thanks again for your contributions to the thread.

I used the factory stats from those loads sold thru Remington. The 270WSM ballistics are listed on post #1 of this thread and throughout. Also in the opening post, i clearly am talking about the lower 48 western states, no Huge moose or Giant bears. I understand that there is far more to killing ability than balistics but if you use my factory listed # of 1748 FPE at 500yds, look up anything 150gr that Remington sells in factory for either the 300WSM or the 300 WM, compare and you'll find the advantage that i spoke of.

Again guys, This whole thread has from the start been about what guns do with factory ammo. Also, i hunt with 5 different guns, all in different calibers and will continue to use different guns for each animal or situation. Not for one thought am i now or ever, suggesting that if you have a 270WSM, you can sell the rest cause you have the best. From Coues thru occational Elk, it's a good one.

Joey

My 300 WBY magnum is great for the heavier stuff...257 WBY magnum is great for the lighter stuff.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-08 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p] The only problem, and I emphasize only, I have with Weatherby is buying over the counter ammunition, which is what this thread is partly about. Of course, maybe the 270 WSM factory ammo is expensive I haven't check?

Joey,

While you are comparing equal bullet weights, you are not comparing the same type of bullet AccuTip vs AccuTip (or equal sectional density that I mentioned in the other post), hence the reason for the advantage. The 270WSM has a 150 gr Accu-tip with boattail and poly tip, sleeker with a higher BC. The 150 30 cal bullet you compare to is a Core Lokt with no boat tail, nor tip and diff ogive shape. However, Remington does not offer the 300WSM or WM in 150 Accutip, nor the 270WSM in 150 Core Lokt, so a valid comparison with Remingtom ammo is not possible. Another invalid comparison would be with the 150 round nose Core Lokt in 270 cal as it would have equal weight but a lousy BC and half the 500 yard energy of a pointed bullet (if this RN bullet were offered in the 270WSM and would make the 270WSM look like a slouch, which you and I both know it is not).

If you compare bullets of more equal sectional density, you find the 130 Core Lokt from a 270WSM has 1112fpe at 500 yards.
The 150 Core Lokt from a 300 WSM has 1116 fpe at 500 yards.
(note: an more equal SD value in the 30 cal would be with the 165gr, not the 150, compared to the 130gr 270cal.

If you compare the 150 Accutip from a 270WSM to a 180 Accutip from a 300WSM, you will find the energies to be 1748 and 1759 respectively.

If you compare a Hornady SST 150gr .270cal BC=.525 @ 3160fps to a 150gr .308cal SST BC=.415 @ 3320 fps (using Remington velocities), the energies at 500 yards are 1795 and 1685 fpe respectively. (again, not an apple2apple comparison due to diff in SD)

If you go to federalammo.com there is a wider variety of ammo with similar bullets to compare.

Doug~RR

ce61
> p.s. the wsm they
>should have made is the
>6.5.

ce61,
I agree with you on the 6.5 WSM.
So I had one made. With 130 Accubonds, Sciroccos and VLDs and their high BC and performance, the 6.5 WSM is great medicine for deer and antelope. I am getting 3300fps with the 130s. Dies, reamers and 270WSM brass to neck down are readily available.
Doug~RR

Doug-RR:

It looks to me like your research shows not much difference between the .270 WSM and the .300 WSM making apples to apples comparisons. Is that your conclusion or am I missing something?

Clay

redrabbit, you not being fair! lol

I'm trying to twist the ballistic's one way any you're putting them back another. That's my job! lol That's one of the great things about the gun and bullet, the varibles and ballistics combine to endless possibilities...to me, discussing these probabilities and possibilities is what buddies are for!

I believe that we are on the same page. Your points are well taken. Also, i do like the idea of having a 6.5WSM, think it would be dandy on a big mulie buck way over there on the other side.

My main point in all this discussion was to point out that the .270WSM with my factory load, does indeed hang with the good ones out there, or even better in some cases, with their factory load. Time and again i've noticed it passed over when guys were suggesting a .264, 7MM, or even a reg .270Win, ahead or even over the 270WSM talking it like a flash in the pan. NO RESPECT. Hopefully, this thread opened a few eyes out there and if so, i fufilled my goal.

Good hunting!
Joey

Making apples to apples comparisons between different calibers that use different bullets is extremely problematic. For example, a 30-06 with 150 grain bullets will have similar trajectory and energy to a .270 with 130 grain bullets. However, the .270 will bullet will have a higher SD and thus better penetration. However, with 30 cal. bullets of similar SD the penetration and retained energy will be greater (i.e. 180 grain bullets).

I'M NOT SAYING ONE IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER, just that different calibers have different attributes. You could shoot 150 grainers in a 300 mag, but if energy is at all important why would you?

Clay,

That would be a good conclusion.

Comparing the 270WSM to the 300WSM is like comparing the 270 Win to the 30-06. All are going to work on deer, antelope and elk. One can choose bullets with high BC to give flat trajectory making the 27 and 30 calibers almost equitable.
All will have sufficient energy to 500 yards to dump a deer. Scope turrets or B&C reticles can make up for various drops if one wants to eliminate holdover. The key will be wind drift with the chosen bullet at longer range.

The premium bullets like the Barnes TSX, Nosler E-Tip, Partition, Accubond Scirocco tend to make the smaller caliber more effective on game. The 270 Winchester has killed many an elk, and the bullets like the TSX and new E-tip make it more effective for shots that may encounter the shoulder or be an angling shot.

I do like the idea of the 30 cal bullet having a larger frontal diameter and thus better transfer of energy and producing a larger wound channel. For larger North American game, my choice would be a 30 cal between the two.

One aspect besides just the cartridge would be the rifle, stock and pad to mitigate recoil. Sage mentions his 280AI that is 2# heavier but seems to recoil more than his 270WSM. His greater perceived recoil most likely ain't due to the headstamp.

Speaking of recoil, the 270WSM w/ 150s will have less recoil than the 300 WSM w/ 180s (on the order of about 25% less).

Doug and Joey-

Here's my thinking. On my Yukon hunt the primary goal will be a Dall's sheep. I might encounter a mountain caribou on the same high slopes the sheep live on. If I take one of each of those animals we will move lower for moose.

It seems to me the .270 WSM loaded with 130 grain Barnes Triple Shock X's, 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws or 150 grain Nosler Partitions (all available in Federal's Premium line) will do fine on any of those animals. (From experience, I know moose will go down pretty easily if the shot is even reasonably well-placed.)

The wild card is that we might encounter a mountain grizzly that I will have a tag for also. That is why I took my Pre-'64 .300 last time. But I now know my outfitter does not allow first shots at grizzly to be over 200 yards to be certain of a kill (his rule based on long experience and I am not going to question it).I now also know even a big grizzly in this area rarely exceeds 7 1/2 feet or so. Knowing all this, it seems the .270 WSM with any of the bullets above would be up to the task. (It would sure recoil MUCH less than a .300 WSM in the same weight light rifle.)

Am I thinking OK or am I way off base here??

cbeard, being that you have a griz tag in your pocket... i might be, would probably be,... inclined to take the 300 WSM. If you were "just" hunting the bou and sheep, i'd go the other way without another thought. Being that you "plan" on seeking bear, may end up very close to one, no doubt that the bigger, larger frontal diameter that Doug speaks of, has more effective stopper qualities that "might" come in handy.

That's me, i do think that you will survive and your rifle will prove adaquite with either choise. That also might be an excellent question to ask of your guide or outfitter as he has a stake in your choise as well. He may well have witnessed the .270WSM in action from some of his other clients and have a formed a particular liking, or otherwise, of the cartridge in the job it will be asked to do.

What a fantastic, awsome dream hunt you have described cbeard, Truely, a dream hunt if ever there was one! Please keep us posted.

Good hunting,
Joey

Thanks Joey! I have a while to make up my mind as I will not go on the hunt until 2010 or 2011(since I went in 2006 and must save my pennies). I think I will see if I can shoot a lightweight rifle like I want in both calibers to see if recoil/accuracy is even an issue. I am sure attracted to the .270 WSM though for many of the reasons you point out.

Thanks again for all you guys' advice!

Looked at two brands of 270WSM today, the Browning and the Remington. I liked the Browning, felt really good and a little lighter than the Remington. Does anybody else have any favorites?

i am not sharp so i can not throw the numbers around but i have a 270 wsm and i love it compact light and i can shoot well with it.hunting pals have 30 378,7mm ultra mags,300 mags all of them are tanks with muzzle brakes.hope i can find out how it does on idaho moose this fall.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-08 AT 03:25PM (MST)[p] I love this topic and after a lot of research I have ordered my 270 WSM I think this is a great deer antelope gun and you can hunt elk with it. The ballistics on this caliber are pretty darn good. The other thing that was not mentioned is that accuracy should be improved in the short action because the powder burns cleaner and quicker. That is one of the reasons that the WSM were brought out I do think this gun will be around for a long time. It is a improved version of the 270 that has a lot to offer. Gun writters are warming up to this caliber more and more as time goes by it fits a neat little nich even more so than some of the other WSM calibers do.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

TEX, I think you can group your 300 better than that. I use 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips and put a 1/2 inch group at 200 yards with mine. But my 300 win mag is a Sendero 26" fluted barrel, stainless steel. Here is a pic.
4849c3ce443faddd.jpg

Twister, Hope you get a dandy Moose with that gun this fall. Thanks

bhunter, Nice of you to say. Glad you enjoyed the Topic!

BQH, Dandy looking gun. To bad the pic was so large it streatched out the whole thread, guy get dizzy going back and forth trying to read it. Anyway, no doubt that'll do the job if you do your part!

Joey

Joey-

Well,I couldn't stand it any longer and ordered a Nosler Custom 48 in.....270WSM. (I traded in an assault rifle to ease the cost.)I am going to top it with a Leupold 3 X 9 Ultralight scope and Talley one piece lightweight rings.

I feel like a kid at Christmas! Thanks for all your advice.

Clay

Clay,

Nice Dude, VERY NICE! I kinda feel like i'm going to be a Uncle again.lol

Haven't had one of those Nosler's in hand yet but they sound and look to be everything a guy could ask for and in that cartridge, you'll be well set up for anything you feel doesn't absolutly need to be handled with your bigger gun.

Please keep us posted once you get down to shooting her, we'll want a report either on this thread or a new one, this one is getting a bit moldy.

Then you have to decide which WSM you're taking to Alaska on that multi animal Dream Hunt. Good Stuff Maynard!

You guys with a little coin are killing me.lol I'm trying to get a cabin built, you gotta know what that's doing to my once extra coin, but still want a new toy awful bad... lol, maybe next year.

Congrats cbeard!!
Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom