Canyon Hunt

R

redrabbit

8 gigs of fresh ammo were put in the Nikon and I strapped on the pack to "hunt" a couple of canyons on the reservations north of Flagstaff this past weekend. The Nikon had a new 16-35 scope recently mounted, so this would be a good field test under low light conditions of dawn and dusk. Preliminary Internet scouting and looking at TPE and topo maps revealed that the sun was going to be at an optimum angle this past weekend for shooting. Hopefully the canyon critters would be out and about.

Early the first evening, a couple of hoodoos stuck their necks up, but they turned out to be skinheaded does.
Edited720cropCoalMineDec-20.jpg

As dusk came, I was at a point that afforded a wide view of the canyon and a good game trail below. Alas, nary even a bovine was seen stirring. Took a few practice shots at some distant rocks to check the Nikon's accuracy and called the evening's hunt over. THe new scope decent light gathereing ability and appears sharper than the cheaper "kit" scope that came with the D90.
Edited720BlueCanDec-2010_26.jpg

With little game spotted, I packed up and moved camp to another canyon close by. As the crow flies it is close, but required almost an hour of washboarded road. Morning broke and when I crawled from the comfort of the mummy bag, these peppermint creatures were seen standing just outside of camp. Wonder how they snuck in so quietly without even alerting my hunting dog Rica.
Edited720BlueCanDec-2010_15.jpg

I explored some nooks and crannies, seeing some deer tracks in the soft sand, but not the living cervids that made them. I ran into a couple of other hunters armed with Canons. They had done some hunting under the stars and were quite successful as I saw when they showed me there captures.

Perhaps the horses of these Black Knights spooked the canyon critters away away.
Edited720pSilBlueCanDec-201.jpg

After many practice shots at rocks and half my ammo gone, I holstered the Nikon and headed home. Even though no tag was wrapped around an antler, it was a successful "hunt", as is any time spent in the outdoors.

Doug~RR

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

Awesome shots !

I seen your posts in the RMNP section and didn't realize you were the same person. At first I thought these were stolen images...ha!

I look foward to seeing your images.

Vince,
Yes, the same. I started posting on RMNP back in spring. Wonderful place to learn and share. There are much more worthy images to steal than mine though; some incredible work there.

Doug~RR

Really great pictures, thanks for posting.
Was curious if you do any post-processing on your images, and if so, what do you use?

FF, I am using Photoshop Elements 9. Basically, I just adjust levels, brightness, contrast, saturation, sharpness and crop. I just upgraded from PSE 7 to 9, so will try using some layer masks now.

Great photos, Looks like the new ammo (16-35) works great. I'm thinking about a 10-24 but may have to check out the 16-35 instead. I really like the first and last photos although they are all great. Thanks for posting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom