Caribou 2009

dslaughter

I'm planning a caribou hunt for 2009. If it were whitetail, mule deer, elk or moose I'd have a clue but caribou??? Where are the big ones being taken these days? What's it cost? and what can I expect? Thanks for any suggestions or responses...
ds

dslaughter, I'm going in sept. I done alot of reseach, If I were you I would look at shoshone wilderness adventures. They are a booking agent, but the actual camp is couragous lake. it is in the northwest territories. It is a little more expensive than the average hunt.It's guided, I don't know if you want a drop camp or do it yourself. I've heard nothing but good from contact references. give them a call and they will send you a bunch of info. plus you can kill a wolf and wolverine if the oppertunity arrises for no extra charge, except the liscense.
I'll have to let you know how it goes.

Ghost,
thanks for the information. I'll give them a look.
Good luck on your hunt. It sounds like a great adventure for sure!
ds

They run about $5.500 for a week plus airfare to the starting point for Barren ground carabou either in NWT or Quebec. The problem with these is that you have to hit the migrations...They have the biggest racks.

Newfoundland has some that run around $3.000 plus airfare but they are usualy combo with Moose hunts but you can get them alone. These are for resident herds. These dont have real big racks.

British Colombia has Mountain Carabou that are usualy hunted combo with sheep/goat hunts or Grizzly hunts. They have some impressive racks but not as big as Barren Grounds. not sure of the cost...

Alaska has a decent hunt if you are a bowhunter along the Pipeline, within 5 miles of it is bowhunting only, but again you have to hit the migration. Alaska has been haveing a hard time with there carabou populations lately as they are down and alot of outfitters are not doing carabou hunts till they rebound.

Lots of options, you just have to decide what kind you want to hunt and go from there. East coast guys usualy hunt Quebec and west coast guys usualy hunt NWT/Alaska/BC due to airfares. Dont forget you need a passport now andf that you need to register your firearms/bow in Canada before you go.

I did a boo hunt in 2006. Great hunt. Went out of Kotzebue Alaska. The Western Arctic herd is the largest herd nowadays, I'm told. We had 12 tags between 6 of us, took 11 Caribou. Number 12 didnt get taken because the guy was beat from packing meat. The entire hunt, including taxidermy cost me a little less then $5000. It was an unguided drop camp. I would do it again, you dont need a guide for this hunt, save yourself some $$$.

We used Nothern Air Trophy. Ok outfitter, great equiptment and food supplied, zero personality from the owner. We had a ball, just a little put off by the personality from the people we dealt with, but that was only in Kotzebue at the outfitters place. The people of town were very friendly to us. Plan on a night or 2 on the front end of the hunt in the motel in Kotz (weather) and a night or 2 on the back end, (again weather).

We few Ak. airlines from Phx to Anchorage, then to Kotz. At Kotz. You will meet the outfitter and get out to camp, weather permitting. They will pick you up when you want, we stayed 7 days out. Most important piece of eq. to bring, rent a satellite phone. We didnt, and regretted that decision. Once out in the tundra, it was amazing. You forget everything in the world when your out there.

I highly recommend this hunt, what an adventure, especially when you do it all on your own, no guide, just you and friends.

Im heading up to the NWT to hunt with Barry Taylor of Artic Safaris on Aug. 25. It's about 5500.00 plus air tickets. Have heard very good things about him. Hopefully i will have pics to post first of Sept.

If you are wanting to book a yukon hunt for Mountain Caribou contact Stan Stevens,Owner of Mackenzie Mountain Outfitters.

He has been in the bussiness for 30 years and is first class all the way.

Bonnet Plume outfitters and Yukon Stone outfitters are also great outfitt's.

For Quebec Labrador Caribou check out Mirage Outfitters,they are one of the best for sure but are a little steep on the price.They are one of the few camps with a chopper so you can be flown out to where the migration is instead of waiting for the bou's to come to you.

If you want a NWT hunt for Central Barren Ground caribou then book with Barry Taylor of Arctic Safaries.Barry has the best run camp i have ever been in,you will see lots of caribou,CBG Grizzleys with a chance at wolves and Wolverine.The barren lands are an awesome place and once you go you will want to go back the next year.His hunts are around 6000$ for 2 caribou,wolf and Wolverine.Make sure and save extra money for,export fees,tipping,etc etc.Also buy all the tags you can get because if you don't you will regret it.

Barry only does around 50 or 60 hunters a year, with a max of 10 per hunt so he can get to know each hunter and insure them a quality hunt..Other caribou outfitters are running 200 to 300 hunters in what only is a 6 week season.

Peterson's Point Lake Lodge in the NWT is also very good from what i hear.

Whatever you do stay away from True North Safaries or you will be throwing you money away!!!

Good luck with the hunt that you choose.

Here are a few of my pics from my hunt with Arctic Safaries a few years ago when i get home from work,with dial up it might blow up the computor.lol

caribou.jpg

wolverine.jpg

I used this guy before. He hunts the Mulchatna herd in Alaska. It's a drop hunt. He uses tundra tired Super Cubs. He WILL find the caribou and WILL put you in the middle of them. None of this "you should have been here last week" stuff. That's why I used him. Check him out!

http://www.airguides.com/

Eel

I dug up the photo of my caribou. I went up solo. Quite an adventure! Make sure you are mentally and physically ready if you do a DIY hunt. It's challenging.

46ae98744ce49979.jpg

Eel,

That is totally awsome. I'm going to go with
David, the original poster on this subject, on
this hunt, so you KNOW I want to know what you
think sir........

Hell, Eel I want to know what you think about
every subject. You darned old hard head.

Stop holding out on me...................

Thanks sir, as always.
I wouldn't take for you.

Larry

ILIamna Air Guides is good. Iliamna Air Taxi is good too.And i think still a little cheaper... Both are good choices...

thanks for all of the feedback, everyone! I'm glad I started this process so far out. Its going to take a while to sort through and research.
Eelgrass, that is exactly what I'd like to come home with. Awesome bull for sure.
ds

I would seriously check the statistics on the Mulchatna Herd prior to going there. That herd is in a serious decline, and has been about the last three years. Many stories out there of hunters only shooting cows. Check the Alaska Outdoors forums, you will see some of the stories. Any where other then Mulchatna, it appears those herds are doing fine. We researched for a year prior to choosing the Western Arctic herd, the last 2 years those surveys (per Ak Game and Fish) have swown 480,000 and 510,000 animals. The Mulchatna herd is a gamble at best.

Very good point 22250! At the time I hunted the Mulchatna herd they were at peak numbers. Everyone said they were due for a crash. I lost track after my hunt and you obviously are on top of it! Thanks for reminding us. Do some checking ahead of time on the general condition of the herds you are considering hunting. The game biologists in those areas can give it to you. And then ask your outfitter and see if he gives you the straight scoop.

Knowledge is power!

Eel

A friend of mine who lives back in SD called last night and after the usual chit-chat, he tells me that he is going back up to Alaska again this year for Caribou, Moose & maybe Tundra Grizzly if he see's another one like he did a number of years ago.
He will be going to Kotsubue(sp?) and then go up river by boat to hunt. He always goes with a family of Natives up there he has known for many years. I think he helps them fill their freezer for the winter.

Hopefully later he will send me some pictures.

Brian

Ungava adventures was unbelievable last september. Twelve excited hunters came home with a total of 24 mature bull caribou. Saw 300-400 caribou a day. Great hunt, great food, great hospitality. I will be going back soon. Several guys in our camp are going back this year and many booked for next year already.

46b4da84157b6031.jpg

46b4dab915f59cc1.jpg

46b4dadc17276031.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom