Carrying sheds!!

F

fyrfyter32

What is the best system you have come up with to carry sheds while out hiking?

I use a roll of electrical tape to keep sheds tight together, and strap them to a external pack frame.

I usually shed hunt from daylight til dark, especially if I spent a bunch in gas money to get there, I wanna use the whole day. So I'm always packing food, water and an extra layer of clothing...so I need a full size back pack. I use the Badlands 2200 because it'll haul however much your legs can handle. And if you have a pack full of sheds you can still access the inside for food, water or a rain jacket through the back panel without removing the sheds.

3-28-08223.jpg

A pack frame carries sheds better, but doesn't carry everything else very well. Hope this helps

I mostly hunt muley sheds and have tried a variety of methods for hauling antler. I have tried daypacks, frames, etc. and they all work. Obviously there are plenty of days where you could stuff all you find inside a daypack but I will talk only about the "big load" days where you really get into them. I do not like the lack of flexibility(comfort-wise) of a rigid frame so I ditched that long ago.....p.i.t.a. to have to keep tying on additional antlers to the mess and hate having to waste that much time when I am in them thick. I ended up just switching to "horn ropes". Basically two 1/4"-3/8" stretches of rope with a slip-noose at each end that when the loops are expanded to join in the middle make about 3' diameter loops. As the deer sheds stack up I can just lay em "tines down" over the loop and then just lift up and they squeeze in tightly together.......one bundle on each end. A simple overhand in the middle to adjust the slack and then throw it over the shoulder with a bundle in the front and one in the back balancing eachother out. With two of these I can carry 4 balanced bundles out. I too carry a badlands 2200 and as the previous guy demonstrated it carries elk sheds well along with your other needs for the day and the wide shoulder straps make a nice cushion for my "horn ropes".
A few years ago I hit a helluva little jackpot that produced 133 deer sheds in a day. I was able to carry all of 'em out on the horn ropes in one trip about two miles one way. Won't say it was easy but I can't see being able to do that without my rope system. Cheap method to try and see if you like it and is easy to carry even in a cargo pocket on your pants if you don't like carrying anything but a fanny pack. At the end of the day it is always going to come down to personal preference.

I just wish I found enough to need to use more than my two hands! :) I keep some twine handy just in case though.

>I mostly hunt muley sheds and
>have tried a variety of
>methods for hauling antler.
>I have tried daypacks, frames,
>etc. and they all work.
> Obviously there are plenty
>of days where you could
>stuff all you find inside
>a daypack but I will
>talk only about the "big
>load" days where you really
>get into them. I
>do not like the lack
>of flexibility(comfort-wise) of a rigid
>frame so I ditched that
>long ago.....p.i.t.a. to have to
>keep tying on additional antlers
>to the mess and hate
>having to waste that much
>time when I am in
>them thick. I ended
>up just switching to "horn
>ropes". Basically two 1/4"-3/8"
>stretches of rope with a
>slip-noose at each end that
>when the loops are expanded
>to join in the middle
>make about 3' diameter loops.
> As the deer sheds
>stack up I can just
>lay em "tines down" over
>the loop and then just
>lift up and they squeeze
>in tightly together.......one bundle on
>each end. A simple
>overhand in the middle to
>adjust the slack and then
>throw it over the shoulder
>with a bundle in the
>front and one in the
>back balancing eachother out.
>With two of these I
>can carry 4 balanced bundles
>out. I too carry
>a badlands 2200 and as
>the previous guy demonstrated it
>carries elk sheds well along
>with your other needs for
>the day and the wide
>shoulder straps make a nice
>cushion for my "horn ropes".
>
>A few years ago I hit
>a helluva little jackpot that
>produced 133 deer sheds in
>a day. I was
>able to carry all of
>'em out on the horn
>ropes in one trip about
>two miles one way.
>Won't say it was easy
>but I can't see being
>able to do that without
>my rope system. Cheap
>method to try and see
>if you like it and
>is easy to carry even
>in a cargo pocket on
>your pants if you don't
>like carrying anything but a
>fanny pack. At the
>end of the day it
>is always going to come
>down to personal preference.

I also am a fan of the "horn rope" technique. Been using it for quite a while. Pretty handy

couple bungee cords strapped to the rack of my 4 wheeler. have not had a problem with this method yet! even driving up and down rough terrain over rocks over sagebrush etc they hold on great!

Here is the "was not ready for having this good of a day" technique.

DSC01498.jpg

Here is the better prepared but still "not ready for this even better day" technique.
DSC01513.jpg

Both of these days I left a large stash of #2 and #3 on the hill. Horns suck when you do well. After 3 or 4 100 lb. loads in a week or so I got gout in my foot so bad I was laid up half the summer.

Wow squirrel...that's some serious bone. Next time, leave your wallet in the truck...no ATM's up there in those hills....hahaha

>hooly cow squrrel what state do
>you live in?

According to my wife I live mostly in a state of denial or a state of confusion depending on the day...

My house sits in Co though. Those loads are not the norm last year was a VERY good year. The #2 & #3 piles are still awaiting me this spring now that my feet have healed up, hopefully the #2 haven't chalked too badly.

I have a little pack with a criss cross draw string on the back. I add a few small bungies and this thing will carry up to 20 sheds (deer). I actually just found the capacity a few days ago. I had 19 on here and it's a good thing that elk shed was only half an elk shed, cause I couldn't carry anything else on that pack.

5734sheds_galore_002.jpg

Gotta love it!

Interesting and informative - bungee cords lately. How can you ATV guys appreciate your own efforts after seeing what your booted friends do?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom