Cartridges for hog hunting

alsatian

I may have an opportunity to go hog hunting in Texas soon. I believe the size of these creatures can range from 80 LBS to 650 LBS and that they can be dangerous. What cartridge should I use of the following? .243 using 100 grain bullets, .25-06 using 117 grain bullets, or .30-06 using 180 grain bullets?

Let's see... 650 pounds, long sharp tusks, sometimes known to charge. Carnivorous. I believe I'd use the 30.06

BeanMan

What method of hunting will you be doing?
If on foot with dogs I would suggest a high powered pistol or a knife. If you are hunting from a fixed possition any of those caliburs will work with in 100 yards. If you feel shots longer than that will be the norm than I would stay away from the .243.
Thats my two cents.

"We must HUNT"

a knife! i'm gonna quit funnin' with texans. maybe if it's hooked to a .458! actually, i've heard that it is a prefered method with a lot of hog hunters, but i'd rather be a few yards away. me and my boys have been threatening to go hog hunting. where's a good place and what's the best time of year? i've heard good and bad about some of the outfitters.

Dan Moody is arguably the best when it comes to hog hunting with a knife. His dogs are awesome to watch work. He has ker dougs to run and track then once the hog has had enough running and is ready to turn and fight he releases his two catch dogs. These dogs are Dojos. Mean and determined dogs. They latch on to either side of the hogs head, then get ready cause the fight is on. Once the dogs stop the hog you slip in with a long bladed knife about 8" or so and stick that hog up in behind the shoulder. Pretty bloody. You talk about adrenilen pumpin through your viens. Whooo. Now that is fun.
go to www.dogsonhogs.org

"We must HUNT"

Hogs are TUFF creatures,
I dont know why but they dont die!!
actually they do die with the right hit, but I have scene them with-stand head shots, 3 to 4 right in the vitals and still be running around snorting and pissed off.
USE THE 06 180 grainers.

With hogs, choice of bullet construction is more important than caliber.

* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

325-sequences.gif

Nosler AccuBond

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom