CC hits

For the past several years NDOW has posted details on Twitter, Facebook, etc regarding the draw timing, along with links, so the public could watch the draw progress. They’d also post information detailing when results would be posted and results were always a day or two early than what was listed in the draw regulations. I’ve seen none of that so far this year for whatever it’s worth.

1715789878568.jpeg

If I remember correctly the last few years we usually get results about two days after the draw is conducted. I wonder if we will wake up to results early Friday or if we will see them in the afternoon?

If I can get just one tag, I will be ecstatic.

Now that I know they are conducting the draw today, I can stop checking my credit card account at least through today.
I’m guessing tomorrow the cards will start getting hit.

I am looking for any late season deer tag with my 10 points. I would also take an antelope tag with my 6 points. I put in for an elk point as my 18 is pretty much no mans land and I have a primo Colorado 3rd season deer tag in 33 hopefully. :)

I am looking for any late season deer tag with my 10 points. I would also take an antelope tag with my 6 points. I put in for an elk point as my 18 is pretty much no mans land and I have a primo Colorado 3rd season deer tag in 33 hopefully. :)
If you look at the odds for NV you’ll see that there isn’t really a “no man’s land” for NR atleast. Your odds of just about any elk tag with 18 points are pretty much all single digit if no less then single digit for most of the top end tags. I’d get your name in there every chance you have as you more likely then not could go your whole life and never get one, even if you’re young and have 18 points already

If you look at the odds for NV you’ll see that there isn’t really a “no man’s land” for NR atleast. Your odds of just about any elk tag with 18 points are pretty much all single digit if no less then single digit for most of the top end tags. I’d get your name in there every chance you have as you more likely then not could go your whole life and never get one, even if you’re young and have 18 points already
He’s not young… Wisz should just donate his 18 points to me since I’m back to ZERO. 😂

Thanks for the update. That’s different from what they usually do.

Last year my card was hit first, the following day I received the notification email that I drew from NDOW, then the day after that they posted the results online.

My plate is already full with a Utah OIL & 2 slammer Midwest deer lotto hits. Prefer not to do a combo hunt, so now hoping for red in Nevada. But if I do draw, dates will work, as I applied for hunts after my Utah hunt concludes. I'll be up to 26 on some of these in NV.

They square your points. 28x28=784 plus 1 for this years app equals 785. He gets 785 random computer generated numbers. They take his lowest # of those 785 numbers and the rest get thrown out. You want a low number. They start with the lowest number in the draw and work up from there.

I first started hunting Nevada in 1984. I drew 7 tags the first eight years. After they went to the point system I've drawn 4 deer tags, 1 elk tag, and 1 antelope tag. I also picked up 2 deer tags in the second draw but that was before demand went thu the roof. Goin into this draw I'm sittin on 8 deer points, 15 for antelope, 1 elk for elk, 22 for Nelson, 21 for California, 5 for Rocky which was the max for non res before they shut it off, and 13 for mountain goat which should be the max for non res.
Wes

Last edited:
30 points for desert sheep. Applying since 1984.
I just did the same calculation, but with 30 points (901 chances), 188 tags and 970,000 total draw numbers. That is 17.4% overall. Odds will vary a lot more for residents due to picking higher or lower demand hunts for lower choices. Seems like you should draw in the not too distant future..... Good luck!

Looks like many of us are in the same boat:
PH - 4 (5-tags)
Elk - 27
DBHS - 31
CBHS - 28
RBHS - 5
MG - 12
Good luck to all. Crossing my fingers this is my year for Sheep and Elk.

PH - 4 (5-tags)
Elk - 27
DBHS - 31
CBHS - 28
RBHS - 5
MG - 12
Can't believe you haven't drawn elk with that many points. Very discouraging....

Any hunter who is easily discouraged usually eats tag soup.
Can't believe you haven't drawn elk with that many points. Very discouraging....
I keep hoping folks will get discouraged and stop applying... as it is many of us will die with bonus points.

I have put in for what I perceive are the best units, many share that opinion and it makes it tougher to get a tag. As I have gotten older, I have changed by strategy to easier to draw units and seasons for my 4th and 5th choices. It depends on how low a random number you get.

Actually, most folks don't realize how poor the odds have gotten in the last 10-years. Odds were better before the influx of social media flooding folks' heads with dreams of western hunts and then showing them how to do it. :^) I stopped doing my own calculations on odds when they started being done by ETD&H for a few $. Now everyone can easily find which units produce trophy quality, and what it takes to get drawn (points and odds).

Personally, I think that NR's demand for guided elk hunts and land owner tags in elk-states has driven those costs as high as they have. IMHO this is because guys can see they are better off spending $5-8K for a LO tag, or $10-12K guided hunt in order to get a good tag, than put out $200-ish per state, maybe wait over 10-years or maybe never get a tag. (Roughly $1,000/year for CO, NV, UT, NM, WY & AZ times 10-years = $10K-ish)

I am a non resident and I have applied in Nevada every single year since 1996. I have bought a non resident license every year since then so I can accumulate bonus pts. I have drawn 5 deer tags and 2 antelope tags in 28 years of applying. I now have 8 pts for deer and hoping for a tag. I have really noticed since the covid year the amount of applications have really sky rocketed it is crazy the amount of people applying for tags.

PH - 4 (5-tags)
Elk - 27
DBHS - 31
CBHS - 28
RBHS - 5
MG - 12
My numbers are extremely similar to yours, except I hit on a unit 111 archery elk tag in 2007 (my odds were 6%). Do you know what your odds are now for one of the premium archery elk tags? Just curious how the squared points policy has affected those chances.

Good luck tomorrow. 🤞 You are due.

Ouch....makes me hurt knowing I only have 15 and you're at 30.

I drew 231 deer (rifle) with 9 points and 221-223 late rifle with 11 so Nevada has been good to me.
The reality is most of us will run out of health and will never draw sheep, regardless of points. I’m around 26 pts but don’t keep track and don’t expect anything. My wheels are falling off badly. It just escalates yearly. Seems you beat the odds on the deer though.

used to calc the NV odds, but haven't in sometime, but sat at the PC and geeked out today. Here's the odds for two NR units ALW based on 2023 apps and number of tags for 2024, and only factoring in 1st choice odds, too hard for a simple guy like me to calc the odds across all 5 choices... A low demand and a high demand unit (1st season).
1715912716277.png

Nevada odds can never be predicted thats why it always has been the very best draw system. Take a clean slate of numbers for example. The individual with the clean slate and high points could potentially draw number 1. Where the individual that has their numbers selected last have their odds have been drastically altered by what numbers that are already taken. Sometimes for the better but also for the worst. Hence how some people have drawn multiple sheep tags in one year or all tags they applied for. It’s all comes down to your points and where and when your numbers are selected in the system.

Enough of the debating. Either we were lucky or not. They promise to post sometime before tomorrow at 6 pm. They have done anything from 12 am to a bit late in recent years. When do they post?

used to calc the NV odds, but haven't in sometime, but sat at the PC and geeked out today. Here's the odds for two NR units ALW based on 2023 apps and number of tags for 2024, and only factoring in 1st choice odds, too hard for a simple guy like me to calc the odds across all 5 choices... A low demand and a high demand unit (1st season).
View attachment 146018
So in 2007 the odds for my tag with 7 points was 6%, and today a guy with 29 squared points has even lower odds of 2.3%. And a guy with 7 points today only has 1/10th of 1% lol. Nice to know the more points we buy, our odds decrease anyway.

So in 2007 the odds for my tag with 7 points was 6%, and today a guy with 29 squared points has even lower odds of 2.3%. And a guy with 7 points today only has 1/10th of 1% lol. Nice to know the more points we buy, our odds decrease anyway.
You might think odds are decreasing, but the guy with 29 points is most likely happy to have 2.343% odds than having 0.006% with 1 point. It's all how you look at it. All hunting odds in all states are worse than they were. All basic economics, higher and higher demand for a dwindling supply.

A lot of folks donating to Wildlife. That’s better for the species and horrible for the odds!

Enough of the debating. Either we were lucky or not. They promise to post sometime before tomorrow at 6 pm. They have done anything from 12 am to a bit late in recent years. When do they post?
My guess is they start posting around lunchtime tomorrow. This is a complete guess, I have no insider information.

Thanks Debbie!!
Excuse me! I was just stating the facts. 😂 Didn’t even criticize the system. Just evaluating the numbers. Don’t get your panties in a bundle. 😂 Glad I’m set for tags this year, and through 2028 thanks to advanced planning in preference point based states. I don’t have to uncork my frustration on others, like some folks.

Excuse me! I was just stating the facts. 😂 Didn’t even criticize the system. Just evaluating the numbers. Don’t get your panties in a bundle. 😂 Glad I’m set for tags this year, and through 2028 thanks to advanced planning. I don’t have to uncork my frustration on others, like some folks.
Yes...you are set already. Congrats by the way on the Utah tag.

You might think odds are decreasing, but the guy with 29 points is most likely happy to have 2.343% odds than having 0.006% with 1 point. It's all how you look at it. All hunting odds in all states are worse than they were. All basic economics, higher and higher demand for a dwindling supply.
I drew an elk tag last year in Idaho first try. Got lucky. The odds are always stacked against you but you’ll miss every tag you don’t apply for

Todays the day! Last year they posted at about 11:00 am.
Good luck to everyone!!
I hope they post earlier today. I have to jump on a plan at noon and so will have to wait even longer if they don't post before take off.
Also I have 11 SD elk and sheep applications for our family in my cart and ready to pay for but I want to make sure I don't draw a conflicting tag in NV first. The SD apps are due 8 am Monday🤞

Good luck everyone!

Gotta have the bank alert on for when they post at night. Since they’ll be posted during the day and heard it’s going to be posted before the CC hits this year ill just be checking my account every five minutes

Gotta have the bank alert on for when they post at night. Since they’ll be posted during the day and heard it’s going to be posted before the CC hits this year ill just be checking my account every five minutes
Yep! I set that up awhile back. 👍🏻

Is 6 points enough to draw any NR rifle antlerless elk tags? Never researched it but have been putting in lately. Just curious....

Is 6 points enough to draw any NR rifle antlerless elk tags? Never researched it but have been putting in lately. Just curious....
I would guess more than likely you'll draw. I actually don't see how you wouldn't draw unless you put in for only the lowest % hunts.

I would guess more than likely you'll draw. I actually don't see how you wouldn't draw unless you put in for only the lowest % hunts.
That is good to know...rationing elk steaks and burger isn't fun. I need an elk tag somewhere......anywhere. :)

Statistically I think the draw odds are lower to draw a cow elk than a bull tag. At least they are for a resident, not sure about NR.

Last edited:
Resident?! That's insanely bad luck not to get an archery tag.

I drew both my ALW bull and cow tags with 3 points as a resident.

They don’t call me lucky for nothing! I drew my first and only archery bull tag with 11 or 12 points, waited 10 years and now I’m up to 12 points. I know several guys who’ve drawn 2 tags and one with 3 in the same period.

Do they post on their website first, or do they send emails first, or do they charge cards first?...........................Or should I just check here instead of 4 places every 10 minutes?

You're extremely unlucky if you're not just buying points. It's really hard as a resident not to draw a cow tag with 6 points.
I have 9 bull points as well. Not just buying points. I know someone who drew a bull tag same area as my first with 0 points and I had 7.

Guess I’m extremely unlucky. Last tag I drew was in 2020 (deer in 13). Every other hunt was from FCFS.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom