Centering Pin Guard in Peep

bigbull1

Very Active Member
In the August 2009 Bowhunting Magazine I received yesterday the "Home Bow Mechanic" article written by Richard Combs suggests trying to center your pin guard within the peep for more consistant alignment and shots as opposed to centering individual pins in the peep.

I also found a tech tip on the Spot Hogg site that suggest the same thing. How many have tried or uses this type of pin/peep alignment and is it a better technique?

Ed
4a31251944a785e6.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-09 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]
I've tried it and it works for some. The theory is that you can use a bigger peep which lets in more light. It also allows helps maintain your anchor point.

For me, it was another thing to think about lining up and I have trouble thinking about anything when I'm within bowrange of a critter.

This is totally counter to conventional wisdom on the subject but I like a small peep hole. I shoot a 3/32" and I shoot it much more accurately than a larger one. For me, there is less margin for error. I've killed plenty of animals at first and last light, even from inside blinds, and I've never had a problem with seeing through the peep. That's just me though.

Great question- if it is a better technique, why do target shooters use a smaller peep? I for one have always been taught to center the pin. Now you have me thinking?
Anyone?

I used to shoot a lot of 3-D shoots a few years back and I always centered each individual pin. Then I really got to thinking about it and started centering the pin guard instead.

IMO centering the pin guard is the best, especially if you shoot fixed pins, your anchor point should always be the same if you center the guard.

I've always centered the pins. When I got a new sight that was perfectly round I tried centering the sight and just couldn't get use to it. Some habbits are hard to break and it just took too much concentration to keep doing it. I'll continue to center the pins cause it just works for me. Try centering the sight for yourself for a while and see how it works out. Everyones different!!!
Good Luck!

One nice benefit of centering the pin guard is it gives you realistic (bigger) pin gap. It also gives you more light, and and rock solid anchor point. Once I got used to it, I love it.

HOWEVER, Randy Ulmer does not like a consistant anchor point, (prefers you line the dam* thing up every time) and does not suggest centering on the guard for this reason. Hard to go against Randy's recommendation.

I started out shooting a smaller peep and centering each pin in the peep. When I started shooting more 3D and shooting with the money makers they taught me about shooting a bigger peep and alinging my peep with the pin guard. If you are able to select a peep that allows you to center the pin guard perfectly then you will be more consistent. There is a true benefit to being able to see all your pins and your bubble level and there fore making the best shot. You see more of yor animal, more light to your eye and there is less chance of canting the bow. With practice it becomes automatic.

Rod

I tried it and have trouble seeing the pin clearly enough to put it on the target very well. Also if my peep is turned slightly which sometimes it does, then I have trouble estimating if the peep is centered correctly.

Ed
4a380ff57419d813.jpg

www.huntpacks.com

I'm from the old school in that I was taught a smaller hole in peep aligning with each pin should result in less room for error. Big peep with all pins aligned leaves more room for error (IMO). Most big money makers in archery don't shoot pins they shoot a scope and focus on one aiming point for that reason. Olympic archers normally only use one pin or aiming point when they shoot. Everybody has a different method and as long as you do it consistantly and it works for you great. Aim small miss small seems to come to mind in this equation. It's easier to shoot a small peep with smaller diameter pins with young eyes and that can give you better accuracy if you're consistant enough. Eastern shooters with heavy foilage have different issues to contend with than western shooters and Big Pigs correct that a bigger peep lets in more light and can allow better vision. Like all things they're subject to each shooters opinion but most writers never won a 3D shoot in their lives with Randy (and few others) being the major exception to that and his consistancy is legendary with all types of sights. If your having issues concentrating on one pin a smaller peep might just be what the doctor ordered. In any case it probably could be the cheapest fix to improve or not that you'll find either way.

I use to have a lot of problems keeping my patterns tight. My friend told me to center the pin guard, made a big difference for me. Keeps my anchor point consistant.

Think about this for a moment. If you anchor in the same point, draw your bow the same each shot every time and you adjust your pins to the yardage would it make any difference as long as you're centering your pin in your peep? Technically it shouldn't no matter how you do it. The issue wasn't with you centering your sight as much as it was with you moving your anchor point. Both methods work and as long as it helped you that's all that matters. It wasn't the cause of your problem moving your anchor point was at the root of the issue. Archery is about consistancy and repetition. Keeping that draw length the same on every shot makes the force tranferred from your string to the arrow more consistant and even and allows a better shot and more consistant grouping. 1/4- 1/2" isn't very much to move on your face or bend your neck and in effect you're changing your draw length each time you shoot. We don't notice things like this when we shoot and you're friend gave you a good suggestion that allowed you to draw your bow more consistantly and keep your head in a more consistant place relative to your sight picture and that's good advice on any shot. Centering your pin or your sight both work it's just finding what works best for you.

I started shooting with a timberline no peep last year and i love it, it completely eliminates the peep site. I have shot much better since i went to it and it improves your form and makes sure you anchor in the exact same spot every shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom