Chama Mule Deer Hunt

sandhillhunter

Good morning, gentlemen.

I'm pumped! I just found out I drew a rifle mule deer tag in unit 52 up by Chama, NM. That's the good news. The bad news is, I've never been there before, and due to a busy schedule, I don't think I'm going to have much time to scout it this year. I'm from East Texas and it's like 700 miles from here to there.

I wouldn't expect anyone to give me GPS coordinates or honey holes or anything, but does anyone have any general starting points where I could go?

Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone this year.

I forgot a couple of things:

1. Are there plenty of good ATV trails in that unit? I just bought a brand new Grizzly 700 4X4 and plan on bringing it.

2. Can I put out some corn feeders if I go up there a couple of weeks before the hunt?

3. It looks like from the NM Game and Fish website that there have been some big bucks from that area. What are my chances of shooting a record book buck?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-10 AT 06:33AM (MST)[p]That is good! You should also put in a Biologic food plot. That's how they get the big ones.

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-09-10
>AT 06:33?AM (MST)

>
>That is good! You should
>also put in a Biologic
>food plot. That's how
>they get the big ones.
>

I thought about that. I do have a disc I can pull on the back of my ATV. We use it for food plots in East Texas. I just thought it would be too dry up there in the desert for anything like that to grow.

>Good morning, gentlemen.
>
>I'm pumped! I just found
>out I drew a rifle
>mule deer tag in unit
>52 up by Chama, NM.
> That's the good news.
> The bad news is,
>I've never been there before,
>and due to a busy
>schedule, I don't think I'm
>going to have much time
>to scout it this year.
> I'm from East Texas
>and it's like 700 miles
>from here to there.
>
>I wouldn't expect anyone to give
>me GPS coordinates or honey
>holes or anything, but does
>anyone have any general starting
>points where I could go?
>
>
>Thanks in advance and good luck
>to everyone this year.

HEY SANDHILLHUNTER,I DON'T THINK YOU CAN PUT UP ANY CORN FEEDERS OR FOOD PLOTS OF ANY KIND. SO WHAT PART OF EAST TEXAS ARE YOU FROM. I LIVE 70 MILES NORTH OF HOUSTON. PM ME BACK.

Where that line.
You can spotlight them from Midnight until 3 A:M in that unit but only on tuesdays. You drew the best tag in NM you shouldn't have any problems.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Dear Texan-
You cannot plant food plots on public land, that is common sense. You cannot bait deer in NM ( that includes you cmer deer), read the rules & regs before you apply. These are not whitetail. Come on dude get out and hunt the deer we dont have blinds set up for you folks in the forest, you must locate and stalk the animal to kill it, it will not come to you. If you want to sit down all day, STAY IN TEXAS!

>Good morning, gentlemen.
>
>I'm pumped! I just found
>out I drew a rifle
>mule deer tag in unit
>52 up by Chama, NM.
> That's the good news.
> The bad news is,
>I've never been there before,
>and due to a busy
>schedule, I don't think I'm
>going to have much time
>to scout it this year.
> I'm from East Texas
>and it's like 700 miles
>from here to there.
>
>I wouldn't expect anyone to give
>me GPS coordinates or honey
>holes or anything, but does
>anyone have any general starting
>points where I could go?
>
>
>Thanks in advance and good luck
>to everyone this year.

+1 for Johnleet3. If it is legal in Texas you better think twice about it in NM (or any other western state for that matter).

Spot and stalk. You are going to have to walk.

Ahhh, Wallhanger, you are wise beyond your posts.

I just couldn't resist, in the spirit of 30inchbuck, being the first to post a "where to hunt in this unit post."

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/2195.html

We need something to do between now and October, right?

And for the record- We did draw unit 52, I am thrilled to have the chance to spend time in that beautiful country. I'll scout if I can, pack in and hunt hard either way. That's the only way I know how to do it.

I'm a long time lurker on this board and do appreciate tips and reading others stories of great hunts.

I hope to have one to share come October.

sandhill, Chama isn't close to 52 it's closer to Taos.
Any way call Fransico Cortez he's the Biologist for that area in the Carson 575-758-8678.

Good Luck

Joe E Sikora

Hook, line and sinker... nice work building on the 30inch post! Make sure you have your rubber boots and Scent Lok clothing and you will be sure to bag a "30inchbuck".

I can't forget the speaker, it's mounted on the front of my ATV!

www.strangedangers.com/images/content/147955.bmp

In all seriousness, I grew up hunting whitetails in the woods in East Texas but have spent the last 12 years hunting around our cabin in Unit 34. 2 totally different experiences and both of them challenging.

I've been on big south Texas ranches and sat in the huge elevated box blinds overlooking thousands of acres of flat, thick, brush that could hide an elephant. I've never shot a deer out of a blind.

I absolutely can't wait for a change of scenery to hunt in northern NM!

I was just funn'n you! That area is my favorite! I have seen some awsome mule deer, but never in the same area, so sorry I can not help. You will see a bunch of elk probably though. I always seem to find the deer in the aspen flats. I will be elk hunting there in Spetember and will gladly relay what I see.

>I was just funn'n you!

Well, I started, it. I reap what I sow!!!

You will
>see a bunch of elk
>probably though. I always seem
>to find the deer in
>the aspen flats. I will
>be elk hunting there in
>Spetember and will gladly relay
>what I see.

I'm a sucker for watching elk, so I may enjoy that as much as chasing the muleys.

Thanks for the offer. I'd love to hear about what you see in September. GPS coordinates and accurate rack score would be greatly appreciated :)

Hope you fill your tag!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom