Cheatgrass 101

elkfromabove

Very Active Member
Most mule deer hunters have heard of cheatgrass, but aren't sure why it's called that and have no idea how it affects wildlife, especially mule deer. This thread, hopefully, will be a discussion about it's vicious affects on mule deer (and other species).

To begin, let's talk about the lifecycle. Unlike most plants, it sprouts late fall or early winter. It's usually the first green plant the deer see and are able to utilize, but it isn't very palatable, digestible, nor nutritious. And it stays green only for 6 to 8 weeks which sometimes doesn't give the deer enough time to gather/develop the small organisms needed to convert the cellulose to sugars, but it's the only thing that's green. (It reminds me of StarTrek's Data who analyzed a drink, but all he could come up with was, "It's green!") It dries very quickly and becomes fuel for spring fires.

When I Was A Kid They Were RAILING & CHAINING To Help Habitat & Feed!

Guess What?

That Didn't Work & The Cheat Grass Came Back 10 Times Worse!

Them Somebody Thought It Was A GREAT Idea To Kill The SageBrush!

That Didn't Help & Actually Killed Feed For The Deer!

Maybe In Our Next Life Somebody Is Gonna Do Something Smart?

EFA hopefully this thread stays on track.
Could you please educate me more.
How long has it been around?
I assume from what I have heard it takes over more and more?
Does it occur when an area has been chained?

EFA hopefully this thread stays on track.
Could you please educate me more.
How long has it been around?
I assume from what I have heard it takes over more and more?
Does it occur when an area has been chained?
I hope it stays on track as well. There's an awful lot to learn about it and it can't be taught or learned in a short thread. Cheatgrass showed up in America during the 1800's as a contaminant of seed, straw, and hay cargo from Europe and Asia. It was first known to come to Utah about 1890, so it's been here a while. At first it was accepted because it filled a time and many places where no native grasses would grow, but it didn't take long to realize it was taking over the places where the native grasses could grow.

Cheat grass is an early successional (invader) plant that thrives in areas with (soil) disturbance. That's why it takes over in chainings, fires, or where heavy grazing has occurred. Its highly prolific and burns easily, thus pushing out our native plants and creating a self perpetuating monoculture. Once established, its really hard to get rid of. For many here, this all common knowledge.

Cheat grass is an early successional (invader) plant that thrives in areas with (soil) disturbance. That's why it takes over in chainings, fires, or where heavy grazing has occurred. Its highly prolific and burns easily, thus pushing out our native plants and creating a self perpetuating monoculture. Once established, its really hard to get rid of. For many here, this all common knowledge.
You're probably right that what you've correctly stated is common knowledge, but what may not be common knowledge is, HOW does it manage to create a self-perpetuating monoculture and WHY is it so hard to get rid of?

It's highly prolific (a ton of hardy viable seeds) and its a cool season grass so gets a jump on the natives (as mentioned above, it will start growing late fall into the winder (if mild)) taking advantage of the moisture the great basin gets in the winter.

I've pretty much devoted most of my career to cheatgrass research, monitoring, and long-term control efforts. Here is a link to some of our work in Colorado. We are in the process of getting the mule deer browse and diversity data published.

Here is information on what's going on in Sublette County, Wyoming and in Idaho.

Last edited:
Kinda Like Morning Glory?
No, it's very different. It only sends it's roots down about 12 inches.
What areas in Utah are being sprayed this year so we can follow along and observe the next few years? I heard of one on the news but can’t remember where. If that is known yet
I'm gonna hafta go the Southern DWR Office or MDF website the get that information. I understand it's a joint effort.

I think you’ll find that cheatgrass efforts in Utah and Nevada are a little behind some of the other states. The BLM, forest service, and land managers are starting to take notice of the long-term positive impacts in surrounding states. These other states have taken full advantage of large grant funding to improve wildlife habitat.

If you happen to travel to the Front Range in Colorado be sure to contact me. I’m always exciting to show off our properties and work! The wildflowers are just starting to bloom and the diversity of native plants is amazing!

no cheatgrass....no chukars......anyone else ever heard that?
or Huns! Yes, I've certainly heard that, especially from a very good friend of mine that has dogs. Since they too are non-native imports from the same areas, they didn't have to adapt much. Fortunately, most of the chukar habitat is too rocky and steep to worry about and most of the cheatgrass seeds are eaten anyway. I don't think we need to deal with EVERY acre that may have cheatgrass. Some may provide coverage and help prevent erosion. In any case, we need to deal with summer and winter ranges and chukar habitat is neither. It's just a traveling area between the two.

I've heard about chukar and cheatgrass. While cheatgrass and wildfire may benefit chukar, this comes at the expense of mule deer, antelope, elk, rabbits, and a host of other native wildlife.

The complete opposite is true with cheatgrass and nearly threatened and endangered sage grouse. Unlike chukar, sage grouse are native to North America! One of the biggest threats to sage grouse is fine-fueled cheatgrass wildfires that wipe out thousands of acres of sagebrush.

My guess is that if you are a chukar hunter with dogs in chukar/cheatgrass country you may have high vet bills from cheatgrass?

I've heard about chukar and cheatgrass. While cheatgrass and wildfire may benefit chukar, this comes at the expense of mule deer, antelope, elk, rabbits, and a host of other native wildlife.

The complete opposite is true with cheatgrass and nearly threatened and endangered sage grouse. Unlike chukar, sage grouse are native to North America! One of the biggest threats to sage grouse is fine-fueled cheatgrass wildfires that wipe out thousands of acres of sagebrush.

My guess is that if you are a chukar hunter with dogs in chukar/cheatgrass country you may have high vet bills from cheatgrass?

Those nasty little seeds also wedge themselves it the eyes, ears, nose, teeth and between the split hoofs of ungulates and though they may not actually cause infections, they do hinder the senses of game animals who can't just pluck them out.

Lions, bears, covid, wolverines, democrats, wolves, CWD, chupacabras, hippies, and cheatgrass. Jeezuz…..I’m scared to go outside now. :rolleyes:

And I got blamed for being a drama queen.

Last edited:
Lions, bears, covid, wolverines, democrats, wolves, CWD, chupacabras, hippies, and cheatgrass. Jeezuz…..I’m scared to go outside now. :rolleyes:

And I got blamed for being a drama queen.
That's right! Just stay home and get on the internet. That'll calm you down!:ROFLMAO:

That's right! Just stay home and get on the internet. That'll calm you down!:ROFLMAO:
I’m boarding up the windows right now because I’m surrounded by cheatgrass.

Efa, you might want to step away from the keyboard yourself……or at least not get whipped into a frenzy with jims over cheatgrass. You tend to eggzadura8te.

I suspect I’ve picked more cheatgrass outa my socks than either you or jims - because he obviously works in a Level 9 HAZMAT suit considering the risks. I don’t even wear a mask when I mow the weeds :oops:

I’ve taken a dog or two to the vet to get a burr taken out of their ear, but if mule deer are dieing because they got a cheatgrass sticker in their footsie, then they deserve to be heaped on the evolutionary trash pile.

But again, I fully support spraying. Just spray the invasive people that are causing cheatgrass while you’re at it.

Ironically, I’m watching a half dozen deer snacking on the cheatgrass right now.:)

I could care less about CWD, wolf and wolverine intros, and democrats but see on a daily basis all of the ecological benefits to long-term cheatgrass control.

I can guarantee that the only reason the deer are browsing cheatgrass is because they don’t have any high nutrition native forb and other browse available. Bluehair, do you happen to know the nutrition value of cheatgrass this time of year vs native forbs, sub-shrubs, and shrubs that are sprouting and greening up where cheatgrass has been controlled?

The deer, elk, small mammal, bird, amphibians, and reptiles I have been monitoring for the past 5 years with game cameras definitely disagree with your preference to cheatgrass statement!

I could care less about CWD, wolf and wolverine intros, and democrats but see on a daily basis all of the ecological benefits to long-term cheatgrass control.

I can guarantee that the only reason the deer are browsing cheatgrass is because they don’t have any high nutrition native forb and other browse available. Bluehair, do you happen to know the nutrition value of cheatgrass this time of year vs native forbs, sub-shrubs, and shrubs that are sprouting and greening up where cheatgrass has been controlled?

The deer, elk, small mammal, bird, amphibians, and reptiles I have been monitoring for the past 5 years with game cameras definitely disagree with your preference to cheatgrass statement!
BS, your guarantee is worth squat. I GUARANDAMNTEE you that barbed wire has killed more muleys than cheatgrass stickers in their hooves.

You simply don’t know what you’re talking about re mule deer habits. These deer aren’t starving or malnourished and it’s nonsense like this that ruins the credibility of your arguments. Go back to telling us how mustard gas cures CWD.

How about some Colorado cheatgrass facts? 5,279 acres infested in 2016 (last data available). Here’s the map. 5,279/66,678,400 = 0.00007917, or 0.008% of the state.

Yeah, that’s what’s killing the deer :rolleyes:

IMG_3347.png

I hate to break the news but just about every county in Colorado has more than 5,000 acres of cheatgrass. Cheatgrass must have really spread since 2016 because we have sprayed over 4,000 acres just on our properties in northern Colorado that according to the survey had 0 cheatgrass in 2016! The counties to the north and south of us have sprayed similar acreages.

I don't think I can lie about the preference of animals showing up on game cameras in cheatgrass sprayed vs immediately adjacent sites where native forbs, shrub, grass food resources increases and cover increase.

What also is amazing is that I'm finding more predator presence in sites without cheatgrass. This is obviously in response to more mice, rabbits, and other desirable predator food sources. The number of bobcats, skunks, mtn lions, coyotes, and even mink are higher in cheatgrass sprayed sites.

I won't even respond to the mule deer hoof comment. I have no idea what impact cheatgrass has on mule deer or other wild animals.

Ask any vet in cheatgrass country if they've ever had problems with dogs and cheatgrass! If you are a dog owner and spend much time in the cheatgrass hills with your pooch you may want to watch the following video. It may save you a high vet bill?

Hey, I’m just pointing out the facts according to the State and your industry. But you should tell the CDA. I know some guys there so let me know if you need a number.

But it doesn’t sound like the spraying is helping much :ROFLMAO:

Got any facts about the deer population rebound in the county you’re poisoning?

You live in the city don’t you?

Last edited:
Yep, I would like to see the updated cheatgrass acreage number they come up with in Colorado.

Thanks for asking about our deer population. Even though we are in the hot-bed where CWD first started in the US back in the 1970's our deer population is doing extremely well. In fact, they are doing so well that we may start a special deer hunt to keep their numbers in check. We already have a cow elk hunt in place to keep our booming elk population in check and prevent over-utilizing the winter range.

Below are a couple photos from our game cameras. The health of our mule deer fawns and calf elk are amazing. We've been seeing twin fawns the past 2 years on one property and the fawns are difficult to distinguish from yearlings by late fall. Our fawns are super healthy to endure rough winters, disease, predators, etc.

Take a look at the size of the spotted fawn below.
IMG_8743.jpg

Newborn calf and cow below
IMG_4535.jpg

Take a look at the size of this fawn in winter 2023.
IMG_2179.jpg

Here's another 2023 fawn in late summer.

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

Last edited:
To me it’s pretty simple: whitetail and mule deer are primarily browsers, not grazers, and do better where there is more browse and less grass.

Cheatgrass is non-native and is aggressive to the point of crowding out native browse and allows more frequent and aggressive fires.

That’s all bad for deer. Not only can it result is lower populations in some areas, but it can result in lower quality animals: both body size and antlers.

Sounds like it’s worth the effort to try and eliminate

We are also seeing the benefit of long-term cheatgrass control being seen with other wildlife species. The below tables show the preference of different species to cheatgrass infested vs adjacent cheatgrass sprayed sites with game cameras. This data was collected in 2023 in replicated sites which was 2 years after these sites were sprayed.

Notice how many more rabbit and mice photos were taken in 2023 in Rejuvra vs Untreated Checks. Also, a bunch more bobcat photos taken in sites with cheatgrass control. I wonder why? Deer mice were the only mouse species that tended to be present in decent numbers in cheatgrass.
IMG_4402.jpg

Birds do not like cheatgrass!
IMG_4404.jpg

We've also found that both ground nesting birds and pollinator species like open canopies with a higher diversity of native species. Nest and egg numbers below represent 3 years of monitoring bird nests and eggs.
IMG_4405.jpg

Jims,

I was serious before when I said I agree that cheatgrass is a scourge and that I applaud the work you do. I wish you could get rid of it all, and if I had an extra $50k laying around I would have you treat my place.

I don’t question for a minute that the range can be rejuvenated with enough chemicals and money. Viva Monsanto.

But its not economical for me, so I will have to resort to cheaper and more effective ways to improve my habitat. More water and apple trees for me. Oh, and protection from people :)

Incidentally, turkeys like cheatgrass too.

Last edited:
Unless I am missing something, someone with a tractor could treat this pretty economically. Maybe grant money available?

As far as people…..maybe post a few of these
IMG_2071.png

Last edited:
Any type of long-term restoration work is not cheap. Is it worth it for the conservation and a higher diversity of native plant and wildlife species. I believe so. There can't be a price put on the value of wildlife and natives!

We've done a lot of tractor and aerial applications. The tractor applicatons are a chunk cheaper/acre. If land managers are willing to look they will find there are numerous grants available to pay for all or a chunk of these expenses. Cheatgrass is currently a hot topic for financial support. The RMEF, Muledeer Foundation, etc are funding sources. Some counties or groups may even offer matching contributions.

I have only touched the surface about long-term cheatgrass control benefits. We are blessed with an incredible diversity of native plant and wildlife species on our properties. With that said, we are finding that long-term cheatgrass is increasing rare and concern species and native plant communities that have disappeared under dense cheatgrass! If you want pretty rare flower, butterfly, reptile, and other species photos and densities I can share them! We spend a lot of time each day monitoring and geo-referencing rare species changes.

I can pretty much guarantee that if I owned a property that borders others that do nothing to control cheatgrass that my property would be a magnet to wildlife. It's a pretty well-known fact that food plots attract whitetails and improve health/antler growth. The same thing is true with restoring cheatgrass infested areas.

I'm not exactly sure where Monsanto is involved in this?

Last edited:
Perhaps it's time for another biology lesson. This one answers a lot of the issues at hand. Cheatgrass is one of the few plant species that does not depend on mycorrhiza, the symbiotic relationship between 90%+ of the of the world's terrain plants and their species-specific mycorrhizal fungi! In spite of what you may have learned in your high school biology/botany class, the terrain plants are not doing their thing alone! They need help to grow and thrive and reproduce. Their root system isn't efficient enough to do what we see them do.

It gets a bit complicated, but the crux of the matter is nearly all of the plants on soil have a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" relationship with a species-specific fungus termed mycorrhizal (from the Greek "mykes" (fungi) and "rhiza" (root). The fungus attaches itself to the root system of the host plant and uses its hyphae (small hairs) to gather up water and minerals the larger root hairs miss. It then sends the water and minerals up to the leaves to be turned into sugars through photosynthesis (sunlight). The plant then sends down these sugars to its own roots while dropping off some of them to the fungus. This arrangement has been going on for millions of years per the fossils of small plants even before the dinosaurs. The problem with cheatgrass is that cheatgass doesn't have this ralationship. It will sometimes use it, but it doesn't NEED it, mostly because it's short lived. AND, in fact, discourages the proccess by stealing the water and minerals from the soil of its nearby neighbors. Over time, the good soil becomes less and less valuable to the neighboring plants, thus reducing their value as well. And the animals eating the native flora are less healthy.

The monoculture comes when there's not enough nutrients in the soil to sustain the plants that depend on the mycorrhiza and only the cheatgrass grows. And it's hard to replace because you now need to replace the mycorrhizal fungus as well as well as the native plants.

Long lecture! Any questions?

Hmm.Ive hunted 4 different bird dogs now for 30 plus years in major CG areas. Never have had a problem with dogs and CG. Chuckers and Huns do love CG areas. Still see some good bucks in those areas as well.I don't see the doom and gloom in my experience.

Hmmm… colorado says it creates monocultures because of the fire feedback loop. It’s in the link above.

Colorado knows their weed so who am I to argue ;)

We are still fortunate on many of our North Front Range properties to still have remnant native forb, shrub, and perennial grass plants and native’s seed still under most dense cheatgrass stands.

These native plants or seed are waiting for the boost of additional moisture after cheatgrass is controlled to re-occupy their original space without competition for moisture. Many of these native species seed can lie dormant in the soil for years waiting for the right conditions to germinate.

Unfortunately some areas in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and elsewhere have been in such dire shape with dense cheatgrass for so many years that there are relatively few to no native plants or desirable species seed remaining in dense cheatgrass stands. That’s one reason several states have adopted the protect the core cheatgrass management strategy.

BS, your guarantee is worth squat. I GUARANDAMNTEE you that barbed wire has killed more muleys than cheatgrass stickers in their hooves.

You simply don’t know what you’re talking about re mule deer habits. These deer aren’t starving or malnourished and it’s nonsense like this that ruins the credibility of your arguments. Go back to telling us how mustard gas cures CWD.
I simply said the seeds implanted in those places hinder their senses. They also hinder the movement of the animals. Anyone with livestock or pets knows when something is wrong. Even people know when something is poking into their skin.

A friend of mine that is a commercial spray applicator just bought a drone that he hopes to use on cheat grass and the grass that I have heard will make you wish for cheat grass,ventenata.

Unless I am missing something, someone with a tractor could treat this pretty economically. Maybe grant money available?

As far as people…..maybe post a few of theseView attachment 143983
It’s not cheap to treat the sagebrush. Herbicide followed with re-seeding to replace the cheatgrass with something more productive. I don’t know the application rate for herbicide, and the native seed mixtures for re-seeding are VERY expensive. $,$$$ per acre I imagine.

Jims can share the methods typically used and the cost range. Maybe he can put up those helicopter pics. I like those.

Something else about cheatgrass is it’s about the only thing that will grow under a juniper. It isn’t pushing much out of that space but spreads very effectively from there. This is the issue I fight.

Last edited:
I originally started research with Rejuvra in 2010 while conducting field research at Colorado State University. Prior to that time, it was labeled for use in turf, ornamentals, vineyards, and orchards under other product names. It had to be an extremely safe product to be sprayed in those settings. It has been labeled for use on playgrounds, golf courses, and food crops for years with no problem.

We originally started off spraying large test strips with a tractor vs aerial applications around 8 years ago. In that particular study we compared Rejuvra to standard Plateau treatments. We also compared helicopter vs tractor vs side-by-side in a cheatgrass study in cooperation with University of Wyoming. In that particular study we monitored drift, cheatgrass control, and response of native species.

It's amazing what a John Deere tractor with a 24' boom can do. There is actually a lot more clearance on a John Deere than an ATV or side-by-side. In fact, there is no way the others could handle the rock and steep terrain we can spray with a high clearance tractor. We have a 300 gallon tank on the back that covers 10 acres when spraying at 30 gallons of water/acre.

We've sprayed over a lot of tall mountain mahogany, bitterbrush, and rabbitbrush in our area in some fairly steep and rocky terrain with a tractor. We spray with 30 gallons of water/acre to help penetrate thick brush and dense cheatgrass thatch.

The cost when I first started spraying was around $40/acre. I haven't kept track of what it is now. We can usually cover around 30 to 45 acres of rough terrain in a day with a tractor.

1714306476307.png

It's definitely a lot quicker and easier to spray via helicopter. In fact, the pilot we've used generally can spray around 1,000 acres in around 1 day. I believe the added price of a helicopter is around $25/acre. I can find out the current price if anyone is super interested.

A helicopter sprays at only around 6 to 8 gallons of water/A. If you think about it, 7 gallons of water spread out over 1 acre is pretty small. We are only spraying 7 oz of Rejuvra over 1 entire acre which is also extremely low. We've sprayed over the top of ponderosa, junipers and other trees with absolutely no problem. You would be amazed at the steep terrain and rough country a helicopter can spray in.

Notice in this photo there is no drift and the helicopter prop drives the spray directly into the soil.
IMG_0378.jpg

It's pretty amazing to see how quickly the helicopter covers country. It's a matter of a couple minutes to reload and head back out.
IMG_1601.jpg

Drones were mentioned in a post above and are another option. There is at least one company in our area that can contract drone applications. I'm not sure what they charge. Their drones are fairly large. If my memory is correct, they can spray approximately 5 acres with 1 tank.

To purchase a large drone is extremely expensive and would require a license. From what I've heard, a drone license is just about as detailed as getting a pilot's license. You will likely need a license even if spraying on your private land.

It is also possible to spray small areas with a backpack sprayer. Our crews have experience using several types. Some are even battery powered rather than pump.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a message.

I've found this thread to be the most interesting and informative that's been on this site in awhile. I'm always willing to learn about things affecting wildlife. I really struggle with the cheatgrass seeds in my birddogs when I take them to bird hunt in South Dakota. I've had both eye and ear issues with both labs and springers my vet says that he sees it frequently.

2 setters, 1 pointer, now and my last, gsp.

I am a vet and I don’t have any cheatgrass near me but we have our own variety of spear type seeds. Find them between the toes, armpits, up the nose, and sometimes even deep in the ear canal right at the ear drum

I wouldn’t expect much of a problem with a GSP due to short, tight skin/hair, but medium to long coated dogs generally pick them up. And any dog can between the toes. Do yours wear boots in the field? If not you must be lucky.

Ours is actually a beneficial native grass and is called Texas Wintergrass because it can green up in winter. But it’s normally called spear grass for obvious reasons. Here is how they look on the plant
IMG_2087.png

Haha… I can show you over 5,000 acres of chest grass in just one county. Don’t think this map means dick.
Ok, so we’re starting to get the point.

All of the science around cheatgrass and NOBODY can put a number on it’s mule deer population impacts, or apparently even agree on whether grazing is an effective control (see Nevada special interest group vs Colorado special interest group propaganda).

But it’s easy to blame, and easy to throw money at. In my former life we would have required at least a back of napkin cost-benefit analysis.

I’ll put my deer killing cheatgrass crop up against anyone’s.

I originally started research with Rejuvra in 2010 while conducting field research at Colorado State University. Prior to that time, it was labeled for use in turf, ornamentals, vineyards, and orchards under other product names. It had to be an extremely safe product to be sprayed in those settings. It has been labeled for use on playgrounds, golf courses, and food crops for years with no problem.

We originally started off spraying large test strips with a tractor vs aerial applications around 8 years ago. In that particular study we compared Rejuvra to standard Plateau treatments. We also compared helicopter vs tractor vs side-by-side in a cheatgrass study in cooperation with University of Wyoming. In that particular study we monitored drift, cheatgrass control, and response of native species.

It's amazing what a John Deere tractor with a 24' boom can do. There is actually a lot more clearance on a John Deere than an ATV or side-by-side. In fact, there is no way the others could handle the rock and steep terrain we can spray with a high clearance tractor. We have a 300 gallon tank on the back that covers 10 acres when spraying at 30 gallons of water/acre.

We've sprayed over a lot of tall mountain mahogany, bitterbrush, and rabbitbrush in our area in some fairly steep and rocky terrain with a tractor. We spray with 30 gallons of water/acre to help penetrate thick brush and dense cheatgrass thatch.

The cost when I first started spraying was around $40/acre. I haven't kept track of what it is now. We can usually cover around 30 to 45 acres of rough terrain in a day with a tractor.

View attachment 144160

It's definitely a lot quicker and easier to spray via helicopter. In fact, the pilot we've used generally can spray around 1,000 acres in around 1 day. I believe the added price of a helicopter is around $25/acre. I can find out the current price if anyone is super interested.

A helicopter sprays at only around 6 to 8 gallons of water/A. If you think about it, 7 gallons of water spread out over 1 acre is pretty small. We are only spraying 7 oz of Rejuvra over 1 entire acre which is also extremely low. We've sprayed over the top of ponderosa, junipers and other trees with absolutely no problem. You would be amazed at the steep terrain and rough country a helicopter can spray in.

Notice in this photo there is no drift and the helicopter prop drives the spray directly into the soil.
View attachment 144161

It's pretty amazing to see how quickly the helicopter covers country. It's a matter of a couple minutes to reload and head back out.
View attachment 144162

Drones were mentioned in a post above and are another option. There is at least one company in our area that can contract drone applications. I'm not sure what they charge. Their drones are fairly large. If my memory is correct, they can spray approximately 5 acres with 1 tank.

To purchase a large drone is extremely expensive and would require a license. From what I've heard, a drone license is just about as detailed as getting a pilot's license. You will likely need a license even if spraying on your private land.

It is also possible to spray small areas with a backpack sprayer. Our crews have experience using several types. Some are even battery powered rather than pump.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a message.
Jims,

Gunnison county has offered to survey and treat my property with Rejuvra for free if they identify cheatgrass. I'm working on scheduling the visit now.

Pretty cool program.

Kevin

Don’t meant to derail the subject. But plants have figured out lots of different ways to disperse their seeds
And cheatgrass has found several ways. That's another way it cheats. Its seeds are easily dislodged and spread by animals (birds, insects and large and small mammals, (and by people) walking through it, by water/rain as it flows downhill and they are also spread by a slight wind, much like an open parachute.

I am clearing cedar of my Texas ranch. Costing $400/acre but with NRCS grant money I only have to pay $150/acre. Still adds up, but there is money out there if you look. The deer on my place are doing “ok” but will do better with cedar gone, and all wildlife benefits.

Been watching the state spray cg in the Sybille Canyon area last several years and yes it has made a huge difference in the forage, the bighorn sheep have really been hitting the areas sprayed and void of cg now.

An A for effort but it seems like a losing battle in the long run. That stuff seems relentless, or are we making progress?

An A for effort but it seems like a losing battle in the long run. That stuff seems relentless, or are we making progress?
I think it's a long-term battle, but it should get easier to maintain as we restore more of the habitat. And, at least, it's more on the radar of those who make decisions and spend the money.

With so many acres across the Western US it's going to be a battle but definitely worth plugging away at it.

On the bright side, the longevity of cheatgrass seed in the soil is only 2 to 5 years. We are getting 7+ years control on multiple sites. Pretty much the only places we see it returning are adjacent to skips. It is super important to prevent skips when spraying!

It's pretty incredible to see how quickly things turn around the first year after application if there is still remnant native species present. That's the reason to be pro-active rather than reactive.

Kevin, great news on your cheatgrass survey and application in Gunnison County! That's a heck of a deal! Hopefully there are sage grouse, deer, elk, and other wildlife on your property that can take full advantage!

For those that doubt the effectiveness of just 1 treatment of Rejuvra for long-term cheatgrass control I invite you to come visit and look at some of our sites. I can pretty much guarantee you will be impressed. I've been out in the field just about every day the past couple weeks monitoring, and the wildflowers are going nuts where we got rid of the cheatgrass. Where we haven't sprayed the cheatgrass and alyssum is as bad as it's been for years with all of the fall, winter, and spring moisture we've had.

Someone saw you coming if you were quota $1,700/gallon for Rejuvra!

Without hardly looking I found Rejuvra on ebay for $960/gal. If you spray at 7 oz/A that equates to $52.00/acre. If you are serious about spraying your cheatgrass, my guess is you can find it cheaper than Ebay. There also may be funding through numerous grant programs to get discounts or spray your place for free!

Bluehair, come up and take a look! I can guarantee you will be impressed!
I believe I would.

I must sound like the tristate of cheatgrass, but I really do hate the stuff. Almost as bad as canadian thistles.

I have a bumper crop of weeds this year so have to get the sprayer out. The cheatgrass is already going to seed.

The real difference between us is that when you think cheatgrass, you think monoculture. I think clumps scattered through a pasture. I’m of a mind that cheatgrass is better than no grass until something better takes hold.

I saw the 2.5 gallon jug. The $440 quart is more my speed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom