China/Russia Dump the Dollar

Hazmat

This is my first foray into the political forum. I'm wondering what the MM Braintrust thinks of this story?

HAZMAT

China and Russia have said they will renounce the US dollar and use their domestic currencies in bilateral trade.

China-Russia currency agreement further threatens U.S. dollar

The announcement came as the leaders of both countries met in St. Petersburg to expand bilateral trade and energy-cooperation between the countries, according to an AFP report on Tuesday.

"We agreed to expand the possibilities for application of national currencies during trade and economic contacts," said Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin after holding talks with the Chinese premier Wen Jiabao.

However, the move is not aimed at challenging the dollar but to protect their economies, as the countries started exploring other options in the wake of the global financial crisis.

With Russian ruble already trading on the Chinese exchange, yuan trade in Moscow is expected to begin in early December.

The bilateral trade between the two countries is estimated to reach above $50 billion by the end of 2010, according to the Russian government. A major chunk of the trade is transacted in US dollars currently.

No surprise, why should they use the dollar for bilateral trade.

It's only a matter of time before another currency replaces the dollar in world trade.

just wait and see what happens to the dollar. The only things helping the dollar is that the Euro appears to be a doomed currency and China will not let it's currency trade on the open market for fear it would lead to 200 million unemployed Chinese.

It is only a matter of time whether next year or in ten years but the dollar is too flawed of a currency to remain the store of value.

Nemont

As one economist put it, the dollar sucks but everything else sucks worse. for now anyway.

I believe NeMont is correct. The real question is what will replace it and when. At this point I don't see a replacement. The Euro because of the too quick growth of the EC is more fundamentally flawed than the dollar. Obviously China and Russia can't take over the position of the dollar.

The way it's going the Saudies and China will have all the money before long. it's going to be up to them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom