Chronographs

shotgunjim

I have a Shooting Chrony Master Beta. (Please save your jokes) I was talking to a guy in a local gun shop and he told me Shooting Chrony chronographs are consistently off by up to 50 fps. Does anyone know if thats true or not and is 50 fps anything to worry about? Thanks.

SGJ

I,ve chronographed factory stuff for friends through mine, and found it to be pretty consistent with the published velocities. 50 fps probably won't be a big deal. Try using one of the online ballistic calculators and compare velocities. Or get the Sierra Infinity software. Coupled with a chrony, the software is a great tool for the handloader and factory ammo shooter too. mtmuley

I would take his statement about it being off with a grain of salt. I have seen different rounds out of the same box be off by that much. In fact if you can keep your reloads within 25 feet per second of each other, you are doing very good. Maybe he was trying to sell you something, like his super duty new chrony for one heck of a big price. Don't worry about it and use your chrony and have fun at the range.

RELH

RELH, I figured maybe the salesman wanted to push a high zoot high dollar chrony also. The Shooting Chrony models seem to satisfy most shooters and hunters. mtmuley

Hopefullly with a chrony and reloading you can find ammo thats not off 25 fps from round to round. But accuracy is what counts.

As to the accuracy baseline of the chrono, go buy a box of labeled match ammo thats subsonic for your 22 LR. Make sure the factory lists the speed. Shoot that over the chrono to verify. IIRC speed should be 1080 average for target 22. Doesn't seem to matter which 22 I shoot it in, its all about the correct posted speed, where as with CF ammo whats posted could be greatly affected by barrel brand, barrel length, chamber etc....

Jeff

Thanks guys for your input.

Bob, how ya doing? I don't think the guy was trying to sell me another type of chrony because I don't think they even sell them. I think he was just trying to tell me how his is more superior than mine.

I'll have to try the 22LR thing. I tried it once with a 12 ga. steel shot 3" mag that said on the box it shoots 1350fps and according to my chrony it was closer to 1500. Who knows, I'am happy with what I got, it works for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom