close calls with large predators

broadfork

I saw this topic on another site, and thought I would get it going here as well.

Lets here your stories about lions, or bears while out hunting or fishing. What happened, and how did you react to it?

Got put in a beaver pond once by a large black bear....(note to self, bring a gun next time and leave the bow at home)

Walked up on a few bears in the dark, just a bunch of huffin and jaw popin, had the bear spray out but couldnt see the bear.

but ran into a couple pit bulls while out hiking that was the closect call so far, didnt have my bear spray that time.

Roy, I'll never forget the events of that day, nor will you. Never take life for granted my friend!

This wasn't me and I'm glad of it.

Me too NV! I sure am glad the claw marks went away though before I met my wife!!!:) God bless that feline!!!

If you are ever attacked by a cougar...think shots. Not buckshot...car bombs, b52, mind eraser, etc. A timely shot can save your @$$.

A few years ago, I was attacked by a bear. The tracks showed that it has paralleled me for several hundred yards. About the time I realized something was there, he emerged from the brush facing me.

He bounced back and forth on his stiff front legs, while swinging his head to and fro....he was also woofing.

He charged.

I had a double-barreled muzzle-loading rifle, with each barrel loaded with 2 50 cal. balls.

The first 2 balls hit just above and below the collar bone just left of his chin. He stumbled, spun twice and came again.

The second two balls his about an inch apart just below where the throat enters the body. He fell but kept pawing the air and growling.

I've since been chided by some. They claim he would have veered off because bears often make a false charge. That might be true but the bear fell within 15 feet. (How much closer do you let him get to determine if it IS a false charge?)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

gb22,

The ones that waited long enough to see if it was going to be a false charge most likely ended up in that bears belly.
False charge or not, I wont wait long enough to find out. I'll bet your butt was puckerd.

Last year the first day of deer season I made a swing thru a big basin and was headed back towards the pick-up in the thick timber when i heard something coming towards me..thought somebody jumped some Elk when all of a sudden three bear cubs came blowing by me about 30 feet away and then the Grizz sow was coming right at me. The wind was blowing in my face so she didn't smell me or see me until I raised my .270 and was cross-haired right between her eyes.
She stopped and woofed..I said out loud with a loud voice...One more step towards me and you're a dead S.O.B! After a tense moment she ran around me and I proceeded to get back to the pick-up ASAP.

Ah yes, I had almost forgotten about Roy's near death experience.

I almost pee'd myself just revisiting the old thread!

And to think the man still lives in Texas! What balls!

I personnaly have stared down a mountain lion......at a chilling distance of 300 yards! End of story.

Had a scare with a Bull (range cow) once that chased me over a cliff edge when I was bow hunting. Im terrified of heights so Im not sure what I was afraid of more but I was sure at the time and I think I am still convinced he had plans to eat me. I had to stay on the ledge for a couple of hours in order for him to lose interest in me. Scariest day hunting in my life!!

GBA

>Ah yes, I had almost forgotten
>about Roy's near death experience.
>
>
>I almost pee'd myself just revisiting
>the old thread!
>
>And to think the man still
>lives in Texas! What balls!
>
>
>I personnaly have stared down a
>mountain lion......at a chilling distance
>of 300 yards! End of
>story.

Dont pee yourself again, your wife is sure to be sick of changing your depends.

nice post/thanks for sharring

I was deer hunting by myself in the Hoback drainage in Western Wyo in the mid 90's. I had hiked way up high to timberline at daylight and was sitting under one of the highest trees glassing an alpine basin. I'd gotten hot and sweaty hiking up for an hour, so I took off my coat and was cooling off. Heard a twig snap behind me and looked - a BIG boar black bear at about 20 yards stalking me.

I stood up and hollered at him. He moved back and I threw some sticks, and he eventually went up and out of sight.

About 5 minutes later, I had one of those "premonitions" and looked over my other shoulder. There he was again. This time, he would not leave. He snapped, growled, stood and raked trees with his claws and walked back and forth on a log while clacking his teeth and hiking one leg at me. He finally stepped off the log and stood up high clacking and growling.

At that point, I said "Don't take one more step toward me you SOB" and he naturally stepped toward me. I shot right between his front feet with my 300 and duff and crap flew everywhere. He wheeled and ran off, but only then did I realize what an athlete he was. He was 19 feet away when I shot and I'd be a bear turd today if he would have come down the steep hill at me instead of running off. I am sure he would have hit me before I could have chambered another round at that distance.

Talked with the Game Warden afterward and he said I could not shoot the bear without a license unless it actually touched me. He also said that was the area where they release many of the problem bears who are accustomed to people from Jellystone Park.

If it ever happens again, I'm stacking up the bear.

Also, last year we had a griz come through camp at 12:30 in the morning while sheep hunting east of Yellowstone. Two of the horses broke their tie outs and we were out in the dark in our undershorts and slippers with headlamps chasing horses for 20 minutes. No bear problems, but it was scary after we realized we could not see hardly at all and a bear could have been 50 feet from us at any time.

Last year, I saw 17 griz in 3 days of scouting there and 12 griz in 2 days of hunting. Those buggers are everywhere.

I almost got drug outa a bar by a super horny grandma lookin 6'3 250 lb redhead one night. She had me by the back of my collar but i grabbed ahold of the fake tree by the door and held on for dear life. Between me and that tree, we weren't fitting through that door and i had me some help from the inside by a couple guys trying to pull me back in against her determined efforts.

I was later told that she didn't get to town but twice a year and when she did, she was gonna have her a man and wouldn't take no for an answer. Coulda been my fault i guess, i did say "How yeah doing?"

Joey

"Talked with the Game Warden afterward and he said I could not shoot the bear without a license unless it actually touched me. He also said that was the area where they release many of the problem bears who are accustomed to people from Jellystone Park.

If it ever happens again, I'm stacking up the bear."

The first part of that is so much BS... The second part of it looks like you got it squared away!

One afternoon I was riding my mountain bike down a single track trail at a high rate of speed when something big and black appeared in the trail. Luckily, I zigged and he/she zagged and ran uphill or I would have pegged a black bear hard and then who knows what would have happened. Actually, I know what would have happened. It was all so sudden that may heart didn't start racing until after is was all over.

>A few years ago, I was
>attacked by a bear.
>The tracks showed that it
>has paralleled me for several
>hundred yards. About the
>time I realized something was
>there, he emerged from the
>brush facing me.
>
>He bounced back and forth on
>his stiff front legs, while
>swinging his head to and
>fro....he was also woofing.
>
>He charged.
>
>I had a double-barreled muzzle-loading rifle,
>with each barrel loaded with
>2 50 cal. balls.
>
>The first 2 balls hit just
>above and below the collar
>bone just left of his
>chin. He stumbled, spun
>twice and came again.
>
>The second two balls his about
>an inch apart just below
>where the throat enters the
>body. He fell but
>kept pawing the air and
>growling.
>
>
>I've since been chided by some.
> They claim he would
>have veered off because bears
>often make a false charge.
> That might be true
>but the bear fell within
>15 feet. (How much
>closer do you let him
>get to determine if it
>IS a false charge?)
>
>
>Within the shadows, go quietly.

I bet u changed your underwear after that 4 sure.

Had a wolvorien come be bopping down a trail towards me. I seen him but he didn't see me untill he was about 5 foot away. All I had was a fishing pole. He stopped hissed at me and run up the trail. I think he wanted his ear scrached.
Had a black bear come through my cabin window. Shot him at point blank. But bear don't taste that good so I wouldn't do it again. I think this one just wanted pancakes I was cooking breakfest. It was a young bear. If I had to do it over I would ask him nice to leave.

I was also stung by a bee and ended up in the hospital dose that count?

Rutnbuck

Was guiding an elk client one year and cow called in a lion that used the back door to make her silent approach. She was not intimidated by my yelling, waving and rocks thumping her.
Not a good feeling!!!

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Nothing recently. When I was 10 I was dove hunting and had a dove land on the far side of the hill I was on. I chucked a large rock in the area I thought the dove had landed to get a shot. The rock made a dull thud like when you get punched in the back....that was odd. A really pissed Javelina ran to the top of the hill a few feet from me and was jerking his head side to side and was making a hell of a lot of noise and it's hair was all bristled up. I had my 20 Ga single shot aimed at his head with 7 1/2 shot. I really did not like the odds on that one so I started slowly stepping backward and when I got to the edge of the hill I ran down it like hell. Not a large predator but when 10 and the pig is bristled up with large canines it sure looked big. That story still cracks me up.

>Was guiding an elk client one
>year and cow called in
>a lion that used the
>back door to make her
>silent approach. She was not
>intimidated by my yelling, waving
>and rocks thumping her.
>Not a good feeling!!!
>
>
>
>
>
>http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Lmao! Doug said he had a mountain lion use the ol backdoor on him...I bet that was scary...but I thot u prefered sheep...roflmao!

4b51f9eb019b017b.jpg

My first year hunting AZ I was sitting a makeshift blind in the evening on a waterhole. I good sized bobcat came in for a drink, stopped at 50 yards and again at 20. At the time I thought you had to have a tag so I pulled out my camera and leaned it out the side for a pic. He saw the movement and went from 0-60 right up the log I was sitting on. Just before he went for my hand I waved my body and arms and yelled - he realized he was a little bigger than what he thought and took off.

Last year I was walking up a two track back to the truck in the dark and bounced something off to my left about 20 yards. I figured it was a deer and kept walking. I could hear it crunching in the oak leaves parrelling in the road and come up to a small patch of oaks on the edge of the road in front of me - thought that was a little strange. My flashlight and glock were in my pack so I stopped and started to take off my pack to get to my light when it charged. It was a big dark shape, that's all I could tell and I yelled at it and it stopped 15 yards away and took off. No clue what it was but once I got my light out about a 100 yards up the road was a herd of cattle. Figured it was a cow but never new a cow to set up an ambush...I'll take gettin taken out by a lion or a bear but mauled by cow is not exactly how I pictured goin out lol.

Ryan
www.KeyToTheKaibab.com

Bear's, lion's, javalina, I thought this was supposed to be post's about scary , dangerous encounters. You guys are sissy's .

I once ran into my ex at the gun store, she was buying ammo. I'm just saying .

Roy I remember that well. Just revisiting your post made the hair on back of my neck stand up and sent a shiver down my back. Someone was watching over you that fateful day...

When I was in the Phillipines, during my Navy years, I was "visiting" a woman in her place of business. During the most exciting moment of the "visit", a 4 pound rat dropped out of the rafters onto my butt..............does that count?

>Bear's, lion's, javalina, I thought this
>was supposed to be post's
> about scary , dangerous
>encounters. You guys are sissy's
>.
>
>I once ran into my ex
>at the gun store, she
>was buying ammo. I'm just
>saying .

IF YOU MISS YOUR EX-WIFE...RELOAD!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos