Closing out some memories

BeanMan

Long Time Member
My Wife and I spent the weekend up in Steamboat Springs, helping my Parents pack up for the big move. After 50 years in the house there is a ton of stuff. I couldn't let my Dad throw away his hardhat from the Arapaho Hotshots days of long ago. So now I'm keeping it. My Dad was career USFS back in the days when being a District Ranger was a job you lived and loved. His days were spent in the field and not behind a desk.

Great item of memorabilia BeanMan. Good thing you were there to save it! When my Dad died I was able to obtain several items from his career on the railroad, the Northwestern Pacific.

Bean,

I must have missed something. Are your parents moving closer to you guys? Nice of you to help them out. It's easy to acquire a lot, especially if you don't have to move it very often. I wish I would have moved more and to smaller places.

Buk,

They are moving to Arvada, my other two brothers and all the Grandkids are there. I tried to talk them into Palisade but those darn Parents can be pretty willful. At 82 and 80 years old having a three story house with lots of stairs is tough on them. Dad is at the point of losing his ability to drive due to macular degeneration. (Past it actually but YOU tell him). It snows so much it is hard for them to keep up with it as well in the winter. Steamboat has become a very expensive place to live too for an old couple on a forest service pension.

Nice thread and pic BeanMan. Glad you are hanging on to a few items. As I get older, I'm hopeful a few of my mementos will find a home with my kids. Seems like I get more sentimental every year.

Yep the older gen, is alot tough then the New Gen that for sure. Grandkid's do rule the roost my wife drew a circle on a map that is a 7 hr drive from where we live now and told me we can retire somewhere inside that circle. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

That is a cool hat Fred, one of those things you'll want to keep in the family. I love Steamboat, my favorite town in Colorado, hunted for alot of years near there. I don't know what is worse for the older folks, dealing with the snow or dealing with the traffic and drivers in the big city. Dealing with that right now with my wifes parents up in Estes Park.

Graysage,

I don't know about wearing White's but we did throw out some leather caulked boots that Dad wore logging in his younger day's. My GrandFather was a contract logger and Dad grew up in various logging camps in Upstate New York and then later around Ukiah, Ca. It's something to watch Dad use a double bitted axe.

Fred....I too worked out of Ukiah, CA and that is where I retired and stopped the commuting I had been doing for 19-1/2 years.
Mendocino and Lake Counties were nice places to work. Congrats to your dad and keep the hard hat, I did not want mine.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom