CO 2006 Info Posted @ DOW Website

cheeseheadinOHIO

The 2006 hunting information is posted at the CO DOW website. This fall will be the first year I hunt in CO. Last two years I hunted in WY. One thing I noticed is CWD testing in WY is free. CO charges $15-25 dollars. What a rip. You'd figure the $495 license fee might include the test. THey know we'll keep payin' it to hunt.
You can also buy online now too. Enjoy the reading and planning...

I am a nonresident too, but also a veterinarian that has done some collections for CWD testing. I can assure you that $15-25 dollars doesn't even come close to covering the cost of each test.

Also, it is free in areas where testing is manditory. It is voluntary in all other areas where it costs to have it done, unless they have changed the regs recently. Here is a link: http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyres/2E02DE13-4538-4F5A-BAD2-75CB383B2828/0/guidelines.pdf

Seems fair to me.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

the test itself costs almost $85 each. so you are getting a bargain. the cost has been a flat rate of $15 the past couple years but it looks as though it might go up now that it is listed as 15-25. Does Wyoming refund your tag fee? NO. Does Wyoming refund processing fees? NO. Colorado does. Though many do not agree with how this disease is managed by the DOW, and I am not trying to defend their actions, but in the big picture you are getting the better end of the deal. Just my thoughts.

TX Hunter - thanks for the link. Good information. I would think that as many states that are testing for CWD, they would come up with a simple, inexpensive test method.
As for SREMIM comments about who's getting the better end, you mention refunds. If CO tests 25K and collects $375K but has to refund $10K to CWD hunters, who makes out? Plus, $365K could pay for a several person lab staff for a full year of testing and have plenty left. Who's making out? I wonder how the reduced income from fewer NR licenses will affect their budgets? Guess they had to make that up and create the Habitat Stamp to offset the lo$$. It's all about money. My original post was to let people know about the 2006 info, and comment about other states doing it for free. $15 isn't gonna kill me though. Thanks and good hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom