CO deer recommendations

elkz

Ya I am being one of those guys, but since it is a different state I figure somebody may have something to share. I have 3 pref. Points for CO mule deer. Looking at rifle 3rd or 4th season, something that I at least have a one in three shot of drawing this year. Let me know if you guys have any ideas. Just looking for a unit with a chance at a decent buck and a good success rate. PM if you want. Thanks.

I have twice hunted OTC elk in unit 81, once with a rifle, the other archery. This September I saw several small bucks and a few nice ones there. The one time I hunted there for rifle in 2010 I saw several small bucks, but at least this archery season showed me that there are some nice ones in there. Only issue is that the area I saw the bucks in are up high, in fact your camp will probably sit at around 10Kft. The snow his us hard for days and it was horribly cold. Not sure if it is always like that though. You may not even be able to get to those bucks up high if the snow hits like it did that year. If you can do archery I would do 81. But if your set on rifle I would lean towards 78 more towards the Pagosa Springs side. Much lower elevations so the snow is less of a factor.

If odds stay like last year:

Unit 80:
would get drawn for 3rd season
would not get drawn for 4th

Unit 78:
Would get drawn for 3rd
40% chance of draing 4th

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom