CO Eastern Plains Elk

nmhntr

8806plains.jpg

Anyone ever hunt elk on the Eastern Plains of CO? I'm looking to take the kid out to get a cow elk somewhere east of I-25, maybe southeast of Pueblo on the eastern plains. All my maps and google earth make the area look 98% private and totally flat. Any pointers -- I am tempted to save my cash, as I am from New Mexico and it is still pretty expensive even for a cow.

Thanks let me know

5466elk.jpg

There are elk on the EP of Colorado. My buddy has been on 2 cow elk hunts around LaJunta. This January he was on the same ranch with his son and son's friend. The friend got a cow, as did my buddy and his son killed a spike, all on the same day.

I would have you call the DOW in Lamar (719)336-6600 and see if they can recommend any ranchers. You could also try the LaJunta Chamber of Commerce.

Good luck.

You might try James John SWA. Plenty of elk around there. Lots of elk on the plains, but you're right, it's mostly private. The few public places that actually have elk are small and crowded. Might be an expensive scouting trip, or you could hammer a 330+ bull. Good luck.
And yes, you can get an either sex tag OTC any weapon with no point restriction.

James John SWA (140) is not an eastern plains tag. Few and far between but definitely there are some trophy bulls out there. Avoid unit 128. Lots of pressure.

This statement is what I was worried about, "The few public places that actually have elk are small and crowded." Hell I can't agree more with the statemnt that the public land parcels are incredibly small, hell one area I was looking at a map an is 1 mile wide by 5 miles long on a river drainage. You just confirmed my guess, that that most public areas with elk aren't too secret with lots of public pressure. My wife's family is from pueblo so we would have a place to stay if we could find some place to go out that was within driving distance. I am not looking to push the limits of public land boundaries with my son on the hunt either... probably not the "passing down hunting heritage" if Dad gets into a fight with a local rancher.

>Units east of I-25 have no
>antler point restrictions...

Thanks for the clarification.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

You're right ColoradoRam, it isn't a plains tag, but it is OTC, and does have point restrictions.
+1 on 128. Trophy bulls but lots of pressure. But, other than unit 104, probably has the largest elk population.

This weekend, I went scouting in unit 128. My take is that it is a total waste of time unless you have access to private land.

You'd be better off investing your license cost into the powerball lottery...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

+1 to Mntman; I would have been better off investing gas money in powerball tickets too! I didn't see any fresh or old sign let alone elk!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom