>and hunting rutting bucks for
>2 months in a foot
>of snow on the winter
>ranges vs hunting them during
>the regular hunting seasons?
>Elk69 may be the only
>person on this site that
>agrees with you!

yes, i am saying that a few gov tags make no diff.

Crystal Ball tell me that if there were ONLY two Raffle Gov Tags, and season remain until Dec 31st. NO PROBLEM. No problem at all. At least the dirtbag rich guy wouldnt be able to steal wildlife. Most of these high rollers don't pay enough in taxes and need to be punished. I don't care if they earned their money by working 12-16 hours a day 6/7 days a week. Anyone who has an extra 100K for a Gov tag needs to have their wages reduced to minimum wage.
Most of these super rich shooters are of course Jewish bankers.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-14 AT 08:28AM (MST)[p]It is humorous to me that so many people here make so many assumptions.

First of all Jims your assumption of me not spending time on the winter range is completely inaccurate. I fully understand that it is easier, but not easy at all to find bigger bucks on the winter range. But you can stick your high and mighty attitude about it... You are so concerned about the challenge yet, you probably shoot a damn puss cutter every year from the road. Simply put, if it was so easy, then why would a person be paying finders fees, have spotters all over and spend huge money on guides? If it is so easy then show the pics of the 200 plus deer you see this weekend... Better yet maybe one day you can show a pic of all your awesome animals you harvest. In the time I have been on MM all I have heard from you is about the great animals you kill under the pp system and OTC system and how every state should have it... Put up or shut up.

By the way I have spent years on the winter ranges killing coyotes. Both in Colorado and in WY. In that time I have only every seen a hand full of bucks over 200 inches. None of which that would have been easy to kill... In the same time I have done pretty good killing yotes. Those that think it would be easy are the ones who obviously have spent very little time on the winter ranges...

4600, my argument makes perfect sense. The movement to cut back the season dates came from all the crap a handful of out of state guides were doing. In my view I see 2 tags that the rich guys get and 2 tags the average joes get. I have a shot every year at the tag. A long shot but still a chance. As a result I did not want to see the season ever cut. I however felt that there were many alternatives that were swept under the rug and ignored that could have addressed the problem. As you can see here those ideas were not really explored, instead the easy route was taken and they just cut the season by a month. Simple solutions could have included a quota system by unit. For example unit 1 was only open for hunting until 1 gov. Tag buck was take. Then that unit was closed. In top units this would have meant that people would have tried filling the tag long before the end as the unit would have closed. Or rules around spotters and calling, or making the tag holder choose each week what unit they were hunting giving the parks and wildlife the ability to watch closely. Etc.

Simply put I had hoped that the parks and wildlife would have stepped up and handle the situation accordingly. They could have created a whole new penalty structure for gov tag holders in which many of the things people are complaining about would have hurt the guide and hunters accordingly. They also could have kicked out of state guides in the teeth and made it illegal for them to guide in the state and forced the tag to only be guided by an existing guide in the unit... Etc...

But sadly none of that will or could happen. I will still be a proponent of punishing the law breakers and not all hunters. I would rather see individual at riders get tickets than a ban on ATVs, etc.

Simply put we missed an opportunity to send a message instead we can see now where people are arguing about dropping 4th season cutting seasons back etc.

Simply put I understand how the sheep of this state think this is a god thing, since they never looked at it as their opportunity. Instead they have the mentality of this will not affect me, instead it will only hurt them. This is the same mentality that screwed up our bear hunts and trapping. I remember as a high school student attending a meeting Pitkin county where I stood up and was facing the same issue with the trapping ban. Sadly the hunters in that room had the same mentality, I do not trap why should I be worried? Now I know very few hunters who think the trapping ban was a good idea.

So once again 4 lucky guys lost a month of hunting. We should celebrate the good it will do and I can not wait to see the significant increase in huge bucks and the dramatic decrease in idiots we will see on the winter ranges. Maybe soon we will be able to celebrate closing down that unfair and too easy to hunt of the 4 th season and the muzzy elk hunts since the rut is too easy. Or the December cow hunts or ... What is next? Which opportunity should we loose because you think it is too easy? Since hunting is only about the challenge... Maybe a rabbit hunt ban since rabbits are so easy my 7 year could hunt them....

I guess if you want muledeer hunting to be as easy as hunting rabbits Elks96 then maybe you should stick to hunting them instead.
Most I know rather "hunt" a lifetime to tag a monster buck and never get one than to cheat and bag one easily with little effort.
For those that value large antlers at all costs have no idea what it represents to actually earn one and the satisfaction that comes with it. A huge rack with no hunt has no real true story to go along with it......May as well shoot one of those pen raised bucks in Mexico and forget about trying to justify laziness with false epic adventures to others.

Your either a hunter or a shooter...Wanna be hunters will go to any lengths to fit in but never want to do the work it takes to actually learn how to hunt.
What kind of legacy do they have to hand down to their children or others? "I got a tag...I hired a posse..I showed up and shot a buck." No skills, No interaction with nature and the enjoyment that comes with it.
The trend to make such activity common place and to get others to think it is the only way it can be done is the "Slippery Slope".

Most of the ones I see complaining on here are $ guides that just see it as harder to earn a finders fee.
I like you see huge bucks that remained elusive during hunting season only to pop up in December and January. I respect those wily old bucks for making it through the hunting seasons. To me and others it is completely disrespectful to blast them when they are at the most vulnerable time.
That buck could have been my or your once in a lifetime buck another year in normal hunting seasons.

To post pictures of these bucks lately is like signing there death warrant and you know it. Look at how many bucks that have been shared only to be poached, whacked by Governor tag holders or to mysteriously disappear. Show us the big bucks since we cannot find them ourselves even on the winter range and we will take care of the rest. Bang....Sad but true.

I live in Eagle County and several bucks are killed in this unit with governors tags, here's the issue I have had with all of the GOV TAG BS, in highschool the unit was an ever other year draw for residents and no body really knew what the unit had, I would draw an archery tag every other year 2nd choice and a 3rd season tag every other year 1st choice. What has happened is the unit became popular ever since Duane Elam killed a huge buck in the unit and put pictures up in MM BIG BUCK CONTEST that was the beginning of the end for the hunting it every year! So the winter of 07-08 knocked our deer herds in the dirt 100% fawn fatality and 30-40% fatality on the rest of the herd, the DOW cut tags 57% and still kept the 4th season sure the draw got tougher because of the tag cut but it was what was best for the deer.
Now I will agree that because of the out of state guides and outfitters the pressure was put on for the locals to do something when the DPW hand's are tied and cant seem to put the culprits in jail or at least fine them enough to not make it worth their while to break as many laws as they were. But honestly regardless of those few the fact still remained that some local's have had an issue with the Governors tag since its inception and I know several of them. BASICALLY ITS LEGALIZED POACHING and we had an issue with that.
Elk96 you said a quota system would have served us better I agree and we did fight for a quota system but it was voted down by the committee, we wanted the season to end when the regular season ended, again voted down by committee, we wanted the Governors tag ended and tag prices across the board raised to cover the lost revenue. Wildlife are the peoples and everyone should have the same opportunity as everyone else right, well then everyone should be responsible for paying for those wildlife, again voted down by committee.
We as a group of sportsmen and women wanted alot of the ideas you said but the final say wasn't up to us it was up to the wildlife commission and because we got our way a little bit doesn't mean that we are happy either, most of everyones issue is the fact that we cut opportunity to all hunters and I would say yes all hunters did lose the opportunity at a guaranteed big buck but in the words of TOMMY BOY if you want me to take a ##### in a box and mark it guaranteed I will I got spare time I really don't think having a guaranteed big buck tag available is the right message to send to the hunting community.
Face it the law's are changed and if you want to change them back get a group of like minded individuals together and argue the DPW and see if you can get them changed back, We pay attention to what meetings are coming up and you will have an opposing voice there I guarantee it, in fact I would love to have this issue become such a bur under the DPW's saddle that they just do away with all the Governors tags and stop the legalized poaching or at least see the BOONE & CROCKETT step up and make these animals in eligible for the record book because really there is no chance for them to evade the hunters.
Like it or not this change was the right change for the local's in the Eagle units and the Gunnison units where 50-75% of the Governors tag bucks are harvested and if its good for us local's then maybe the rest of the state should support our efforts to help the deer herds in our own back yards!
I have 15+ years of video tape of some of the winter range bucks that used to call this unit home and finding a 200" deer was nothing more than a 10-15 minute drive outa town 10 yrs ago, when you say it isn't easy now reiterates our point that our deer herds still haven't recovered and this change will help. I appreciate all the hard work put out by so many sportsmen and women to bring these issues to the DPW and to our DPW officers to present this issue to the wildlife commission and to the Wildlife Commission thanks for taking a small step to end legalized poaching in Colorado. To those that don't agree sorry to upset you sorry to limit your opportunity and I'm sorry I have a different view than you when it comes to hunting and the future of our sport!

"WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW" "REVOLUTION
BECOMES DUTY" unknown

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

The Utards all think that nobody will buy a CO governor's deer tag now, that is valid in any unit in CO, from August all the way until November 30th. I hope they are right! I will show up to the auction and scoop it up for $50. I guess I could even go out and shoot a whopper out on the plains if I don't get it done by November 30th. Remember...this is a horrible tag now, so nobody bother bidding against me. I will take one for the team.

It really doesn't matter. I'd be more concerned about all the young-middle aged bucks coming out of the units still in 07-08 rebuilding stage due to tag increases than 4 mature deer getting shot.

Thats a very good point but how do you limit the harvest of 3 and 4 year old deer especially in these trophy units that have some outstanding genetics when a 3 year old deer is a 170" deer when on the last day most guy's that couldn't find a monster will shoot a 170" 3 year old. Or an exceptional 4 yr old that is 180"-190" it would be nice to have the ability like the midwest and use trail cameras and track our deer for year's and know what bucks are on the hit list and how old they are and so on but that's really never going to happen unless you have a huge amount of private property to hunt! Heck I've seen several up and comer's over the year's after hunting season on the winter range and never see them again! The answer is simple bring back the point restriction bring back trapping double the lion quota in all areas and put a bounty on coyotes and you will see our Mule deer herds throughout the state sky rocket!

"WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW" "REVOLUTION
BECOMES DUTY" unknown

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

Yea I dont think some realize how many of these Gov tag bucks are taken in generally the same area year after year after year after year after year after year. So much so they almost have to put it into the tag numbers.. I do wish they would have voted for the quota separated out by auction and draw tags so no more that 2 bucks would be shot in any given unit.

I put in for the draw tags every year and cant for the life of me figure out why more of these bucks are not shot in late Aug early Sept? Do folks just not like the velvet or is it elevation? With that tag in my pocket, DIY, well with only friends help there is no way I would make it past Sept 15th :).

Anyway I feel that it was a good changer and good luck to the hunters who draw or the outfitters who guide the tag this year. I bet we will just see the same quality of buck shot a bit earlier in the year as I dont see the price or the quality of animal that can be taken changing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom